Gurdwara Etiquette

Vaheguroo jee ka Khalsa Vaheguroo jee kee Fateh!!

i think that we should try to enforce proper etiquette in the gurdwara.. yesterday i noticed some very disturbing things...

naturally a lot of people were talking... a girl that I know was sitting with her eyes closed and then her sister (whos not into sikhi very much) came and disturbed her... and she opened her eyes and her sister was like.. "were you sleeping or something??" :|

soon they started some really upbeat kirtan... the girl in front of me practically started dancing to the beat while sitting there ohmy.gif

and then my sister leans over to me during hukamnama and asks if i needed new shoes... because Shoe Warehouse is having a huge sale. wacko.gif

another time some kid came in eating a stick of cotton candy... WITH HIS MOTHER.

in the langar hall... everyone's always talking but no one really notices anymore because that's become the norm...

so anyways, we all know how fast things get passed around on the net, especially with email... here's a few things we should try to enforce..

Basics:

1. Cover your head

2. Wash hands (if your feet are dirty wa

sh them too. Many gurdwaray have a separate place for washing feet. if not, wash them in the sink.)

3. Take shoes and socks off

Other stuff:

**most of these are common sense if you pay attention to number 4.

4. Keep in mind that sitting in darbaar where Guru Granth Sahib Jee is is the same thing as sitting in darbaar where Guru Nanak Dev jee/any other guru sahib is.. this point cant be stressed enough...most people would be more careful as to how they behave in darbaar if it was any other guru than guru granth sahib jee. Have as much respect, humility etc. in Guru Granth Sahib Jee's darbaar as you would in Guru Gobind Singh Jee's darbaar.

5. If someone has their eyes closed DO NOT DISTURB THEM (unless absolutely necessary). They are most likely concentrating on whats going on.. not sleeping.

6. When matha tekking, do it as if guru nanak dev jee is there... because he is.

7. Dont wear inappropriate clothing (i.e. tight clothes, shirts with low necks, shirts that show half your stomach, bright flashy sparkly suits, multicoloured suits, extravagant suits...)

8. Cover your head PROPERLY at all times. "it slipped off my head" shouldnt be an excuse.

9. Don't talk while in the darbaar, even if you can't understand doesnt mean other people aren't paying attention. Your talking will disturb them. Try to listen to whats going on and you'll catch onto a few things. Even if you dont, ask your parents or just keep quiet and do simran.

10. If you see a friend sitting nearby or walking across, dont start frantically waving at him/her. If you must talk to him/her right then, go outside and do it.

11. NO TALKING whatsoever during ardaas.

12. When getting parshad, put your hands up high so that its easier for the sevadaar and make sure to use both hands.

13. When eating parshad, dont play around with it.. just accept it and eat it.

14. Do not DANCE, or even move your shoulders to the beat when kirtan is going

on. Its not bhangra.

15. Dont pay attention to what other people are wearing.

16. LISTEN to what is going on.

17. keep cellphones, pagers etc off.. or if you must, keep it atleast on vibe so that it disturbs no one but you.

18. If your cell DOES ring, take it out immediately and turn it off. Don't leave it ringing in your pocket/purse thinking that no one else can hear it. DO NOT EVER talk on your phone in teh darbaar.

19. If you see someone else talking, kindly ask them to quiet down.

20. for ANY seva in the darbaar, your hands MUST be washed and you should have a hazooria (long piece of cloth around your neck)

21. For deg di seva, hands obviously must be thoroughly washed. When giving out deg, don't talk to people.. dont even sing "satnam vaheguru" (or whatever they're singing) with the rest of the sangat because its possible that some spit from your mouth could fall into the deg. the best thing to do would be to wrap your hazooria around your mouth.

22. In the langar hall, while doing seva, hands MUST once again be thoroughly washed. This is very important.

23. If you're serving langar, dont talk to teh people unnecessarily.

24. When your serving OR eating langar, your head must be covered.

25. Dont go boasting to people of how much seva you do (or how many times you go to the gurdwara), this just defeats the whole purpose.

26. The Gurdwara is not a social place. You dont go to meet up with people or to show off your new suit.

This is just the beginning of the list, please add ANYTHING you can think of. i know its a little unorganized, if someone wants to categorize everything feel free to do so. When we have a list that covers everything people can send it out to others.

**Please add more**

Vaheguroo Jee ka Khalsa Vaheguroo jee Kee Fateh!!!!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4. Keep in mind that sitting in darbaar where Guru Granth Sahib Jee is is the same thing as sitting in darbaar where Guru Nanak Dev jee/any other guru sahib is.. this point cant be stressed enough...most people would be more careful as to how they behave in darbaar if it was any other guru than guru granth sahib jee. Have as much respect, humility etc. in Guru Granth Sahib Jee's darbaar as you would in Guru Gobind Singh Jee's darbaar.
yesterday, one of my fav gyanis was reading from maharaj (giani nirmal singh, such a nice voice he has), anyway i noticed one kid gave money but was so close to not doing matha theek (he did, when his mother came to the darbar).
9. Don't talk while in the darbaar, even if you can't understand doesnt mean other people aren't paying attention. Your talking will disturb them. Try to listen to whats going on and you'll catch onto a few things. Even if you dont, ask your parents or just keep quiet and do simran.

saw that yesterday, two women doing that, how can one not control their anger now at the gurdwara nowadays? (i sware i need to go anger management), anyway, i so felt like going up to them women and say get ou

t, but they are older than me, and i am a 15 year old bacha, so what could i do?

21. For deg di seva, hands obviously must be thoroughly washed. When giving out deg, don't talk to people.. dont even sing "satnam vaheguru" (or whatever they're singing) with the rest of the sangat because its possible that some spit from your mouth could fall into the deg. the best thing to do would be to wrap your hazooria around your mouth.
hmm, have you been to the leicester gurdwara (on east park road), theres a women who does that. the gurdwara comitee made this sign saying you ought to do this. because doing simran with sewa is so much pwerful (but i prefer it when people say it in the mind).
25. Dont go boasting to people of how much seva you do (or how many times you go to the gurdwara), this just defeats the whole purpose.

if you really want to, you can say "maharaj makes me do sewa" or else the sewa goes.

i got a new one

27. do not bow down to anything other than SGGS, this is considered an insult to maharaj. even if there is bani of another guru (in a palki, like our gurdwara does, which contains bani of guru amardas ji), the ultimate jyot is in SGGS. As Guru Gobind Singh JI said, you offer your head to SGGS ONLY. While Giani Nirmal Singh was reciting from maharaj i saw 15+ people bowing to the palki. Maharaj has made me pass on the akal takhat hukamnama to Giani Nirmal Singh, who hopefully will pass it onto Giani Inderjit Singh (the head granthi of our gurdwara,

who should make a sign saying dont bow to the palki sahib!

28. sit cross legged when in the gurdwara, not lying down like some kids who had no rumaala on yesterday, felt like going up to him and saying sit crossed legged or get out, but the kid was on the other side of the darbar.

soon they started some really upbeat kirtan... the girl in front of me practically started dancing to the beat while sitting there

gurjeet kaur, how do you mean? (did she get her hands in the air etc, describe what you saw please. and also why didnt you say anything, she was right in front of you?)

31. Teach your kids the proper way to matha tek. Some kids throw money towards SGGSJ like they're doing Guru ji a favor and then don't even bow down.

32. NO GUM!!!!!!

33. Try to stay inside the gurudwara at most times. You disturb people when you go in and out ....or if you know you're going to leave in the middle of the services, sit near the exit.

Keep adding.....

* We all should print this out and post it in the Gurudwaras!!! :wub:

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Dhan Hai Saada Guru Tey Dhaan Hai Guru Pyari Sadh Sangat

Yesterday we had a meeting where dass suggested to make a paper on Gurudwara Etiquettes for the free distribution among the sangat.

Today being a first day of new week when I log in and saw this post I simply ^_^^_^^_^ to GURU SAHIB

"GHAT GHAT KAI ANTAR KEE JANAAT"

Any way first thanks to guru sahib jee, then gurjeet kaur bhanjee :wub: and all other sangat who have post their views and many who will do , to make my work easy.

hmmmmmm. dass just wanna to add few things

1. Sangat should participate in the programme currently going on in Gurudwara sahib like if Kirtan is going on then they should sit and listen/ try to understand the Kirtan. Many people start doing Path (sukhmani sahib or others) in the Gurudwara Hall where Kirtan or katha is going on. A student (Sikh) should teach (listen/ recite) what is going on (katha/ kirtan) in class room (gurudwara) at that particular period of time.

r>

If any body really needs to do that they should go to seperate room insted of doing it in main hall.

Its primary duty of the parents to teach their kids these etiqutes in gurudwara. Every Gurudwara Committee should distribute copy of etiqute paper to every sikh family in the area.

bhulla chukaa dee maufai

_/\_

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!