Guys I Am Confused? Did I Do The Wrong Thing By Arguing About Sikhi?

japjeev singh

Hi, Before i start you may know me for being very unloyal to sikhi but now i am back on my path with Wahegurus help, My Parents and your guys.

So today in my school. my Friend who claims himself a sikh but he has a haircut,has a ear piercing and thinks doing drugs are fine in sikhi.

He asked me one day if i was ever going to cut my hair. I asked him "Why did you cut it". He says that :We are allowed to cut our hair in sikhism"

I Chuckled a bit because of his ignorance. So i got in a argument with him and i told him He isnt a Sikh, Your a disgrace because if you think cutting hair,doing drugs are okay in sikhi.

He doesnt look like an indian He looks more like a black kid rather then a indian.

He even says that he does weed which i didn't believe a fourteen year old doing weed. His last Name isnt even Singh but a Cast. But in the end of the argument he was denying the fact he shouldn't be considered Sikh.

SO he got mad and Left the room to go to bathroom. Even though i probably lost him as friend which i dont mind since i wouldn't want those types of friends.

But SIkh Sangat i am asking you guys did i do wrong by arguing about that? Becasue it really irritated me that he asked me multiple times if i was ever going to cut my hair and was surprised that i have never done any type of drug such as weed.

You did a good thing and a bad thing in my opinion. The good thing is you took the right stance, the approach could have been better though. Try educating him with the panj kakaar and citations saying alcohol and drugs are prohibited in Sikhi. Also give stories of Guru Gobind Singh Ji like how his horse stopped before entering a tabacco field so he told his Singhs not to go.

There's a reason why Sikhs would die before they cut their hair back in the day. Sir jaave tan jave, par meri Sikhi sidak na jave.

Show him the movie Bhai Taru Singh Ji and tell him about his courageous story. Remeber Kesh is a part of the panj kakaar that Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave.

You did a good thing and a bad thing in my opinion. The good thing is you took the right stance, the approach could have been better though. Try educating him with the panj kakaar and citations saying alcohol and drugs are prohibited in Sikhi. Also give stories of Guru Gobind Singh Ji like how his horse stopped before entering a tabacco field so he told his Singhs not to go.

There's a reason why Sikhs would die before they cut their hair back in the day. Sir jaave tan jave, par meri Sikhi sidak na jave.

Show him the movie Bhai Taru Singh Ji and tell him about his courageous story. Remeber Kesh is a part of the panj kakaar that Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave.

Actually i was going to tell him some of the Sakhi's and wanted to tell him he cant get on the right path. But The convo didnt get that far. if i get in kind of Convo again i will surely tell him

The question you want to ask yourself is not whether you did a bad or good thing. Rather ask how you should handle this from here forward. You are completely right that kesh are required. However, his racial features and skin color are irrelevant to any debate about Sikhi.

You should stay away from your friend’s bad influences, but not his heart. Like you he is young and learning. Start with respecting him for his qualities. Once you have a mutual respect, only then will either of you really listen to what the other is saying. Your friend is an innocent victim of a society of older men who celebrate sikhi as their proud caste.

At 14 years old and smoking weed, your friend needs your caring concern. You might not be able to stop him, but let him know you care about his weed habit. He could be on a road to doing long term damage. There are times in life when we have to be like an older brother or sister to a friend. This means caring and not being too judgmental. He may need someone to be there

The fact that you posted with this query here indicates you are a caring young person and friend.

The question you want to ask yourself is not whether you did a bad or good thing. Rather ask how you should handle this from here forward. You are completely right that kesh are required. However, his racial features and skin color are irrelevant to any debate about Sikhi.

You should stay away from your friend's bad influences, but not his heart. Like you he is young and learning. Start with respecting him for his qualities. Once you have a mutual respect, only then will either of you really listen to what the other is saying. Your friend is an innocent victim of a society of older men who celebrate sikhi as their proud caste.

At 14 years old and smoking weed, your friend needs your caring concern. You might not be able to stop him, but let him know you care about his weed habit. He could be on a road to doing long term damage. There are times in life when we have to be like an older brother or sister to a friend. This means caring and not being too judgmental. He may need someone to be there

The fact that you posted with this query here indicates you are a caring young person and friend.

Hmm You made a good point. i will try to tell him to go to right path