Queue Systems In Gurdwara

MentalSingh

One Five, I've been to many Gurudwaras across California who have the system where Sangat rushes to go do sewa in distrubuting langar while people are sitting with empty plates and cups. One Gurudwara that I've been going to since I can remember (as a baby) has the method of where everyones gets in line with their own plates to get served by sewadars and then go sit to eat. This Gurughar also has tables and probably has more gossip and politics than any Gurudwara that i've seen or been to...The two may not be associated, i'm just saying it doesn't matter how you serve langar as long as there is sharda, real teamwork, and piaar for Guru Ji and Waheguru, right?

Whitehorse, don't say that. If you THINK if someone doesn't have an understanding with an issue just educate them. You're just using a smart way to try and insult someone...

Either way, no matter how you distribute langar it should work for the Sangat and unify them. It doesn't matter how you do it as long as it follows Gurmat and Rehit...

The two may not be associated, i'm just saying it doesn't matter how you serve langar as long as there is sharda, real teamwork, and piaar for Guru Ji and Waheguru...

This is incorrect, it matters a great deal. This institution was started by Guru Nanak Dev Ji when Guru Ji fed the saddhus.

Guru Ji did not ask them to stand in line. Guru Ji took the food and with his sacred hands did sewa of the saddhus, this is the reason why there is never any shortage in any langar in any gurdwara across the world.

And we, manmukhs, use our own low intellect to try to change every thing our Gurus did.................. We are our own worst enemies !

This is incorrect, it matters a great deal. This institution was started by Guru Nanak Dev Ji when Guru Ji fed the saddhus.

Guru Ji did not ask them to stand in line. Guru Ji took the food and with his sacred hands did sewa of the saddhus, this is the reason why there is never any shortage in any langar in any gurdwara across the world.

And we, manmukhs, use our own low intellect to try to change every thing our Gurus did.................. We are our own worst enemies !

Wait, by the Queue system do you refer to people sitting down and waiting for food or standing in line? I think I might have misunderstood what you meant.

I agree if you mean we should all sit down and wait for langar to be served like the pictures I posted on the first page...

Only Five - you appear to have a very pessimistic view of human nature. Whatever is missing in your life, I hope you find it.

Your missing in my life. :lol:

Perhaps when you have a better understanding of this issue, we can discuss it again.

Yeah, that make sense. I showed your views in a true light and they have no base on Sikh practices, but I need to understand this issue.

Also if I can just humbly clarify one point.

Temple does not refer to Mandir.

And did you see jews in brackets.

It simply means a Place of Worship (it was a word of Latin origin). So the phrase 'Sikh temple' simply means a Sikh Place of Worship.

IT does not simply mean a place of worship, the word is attached to certain religions. It is not a neutral term. Here is it attached to one and then attached to another: Please humbly read and clarify your mistakes:

-an edifice or place dedicated to the service or worship of a deity or deities. (if you have not noticed, Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj is not a deity or deities.) -any of the three successive houses of worship in Jerusalem in use by the Jews in Biblical times, the first built by Solomon, the second by Zerubbabel, and the third by Herod. (and surely Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj is not jews)

Mandir is a Hindi word (of sanskrit origin) which has a similar meaning.

Right and Gurdwara does not translate into temple. Gurdwara is the correct term to identify a place where Sikhs worship.

A Mosque (derived from the word Masjid) is specifically an Islamic place of worship.

...And Judaism is a monotheistic faith (i.e. jews worship one god).

And a Gurdwara is a place where Sikhs worship. Mosque, temple, Gurdwara are not interchangeable.

Leave your wise talk somewhere else. It won't work here

Thanks for sharing your opinions

Wait, by the Queue system do you refer to people sitting down and waiting for food or standing in line? I think I might have misunderstood what you meant.

I agree if you mean we should all sit down and wait for langar to be served like the pictures I posted on the first page...

Singha, queue system is where people line up for the langar.

I agree with the whoe practice of sitting down and waiting for langar to be served like in the pictures you posted.

Mr. whitehorse, temple worshipper is saying line system is better because he likes other peoples spitting in his food.

Either way, no matter how you distribute langar it should work for the Sangat and unify them. It doesn't matter how you do it as long as it follows Gurmat and Rehit...

The Guru's way is the best. Gurmat is abolished with the line system. No one cares about whats going on, who has been sitting for a long time just waiting for one more parshada. By putting back the real system we will actually bring more people closer to Sikhi, because the system itself teaches Sikhi. The Guru's knew why and what they were doing. It was not put in place because it was a fast and easy way to eat free food, like Mr. Whitehorse wants to protray Guru Ka Langar.

Whitehorse, when relatives come to your house do you

a) serve them

b) do you make them stand in a line?

If it's a), then why are you making Gods guests standinline at his house?

If it's b) then you are truly lost

Western Gurdwara started using the queue system in the 90's before this all served langar because people had a lot more humility and love for on another.

For me the following are the reason that i do not support the queue system:

• In a queue, sewadars are talking and the sangat in the queue are talking while waiting to be served.
  • There is a mad rush in the queue system , everyone wants to get to the food quickly
  • Sangat with all sorts of hygiene picks the plates, glasses, spoons up and take them to the sewadar, in the process touching other plates, glasses, spoon in the process.
  • Elderly would find it difficult or pressured to stand in the queue to get langar.
  • The interaction between the sewadars and sangat is not the same as you get when one is doing traditional sewa.
  • Most importantly, You do not receive langar this way because langar is being put into the plate directly. Do people hold their trays in one hand and get their parshadas with the other? I dont think so.
  • Sewadar, "Would you like kheer veer ji?" (spit). Man holding tray , "Nahi veer ji i am on a diet" (spit).
  • FINALLY, I DONT THINK QUEUE SYSTEM IS RIGHT BECAUSE THE OTHER SYSTEM WORKS.

Now lets look at the traditional system:

• Sewadars can move faster between the pangat and distribute langar efficiently.
  • Sewadar's concentration is on feeding sangat and not talking to fellow sewadars.
  • Sangat waits while sitting until langar is brought to them, this is a lot easier for elderly and it doesn't exclude them.
  • No one but sewadars get to distribute plates, glass, water, spooons etc, this to me is more hygienic.
  • Sewadars walk with food in their left arm and this is not only efficiently but also prevents spit going into langar.