Contribution Required For The Huge Sevaa Of Outdoor Screen Project At Sree Darbaar Saaheb

sikh_toronto

On screen translations seem to be an easy way out for people nowadays who want to learn and study Gurbani but are too lazy to put the time and effort in to actually spend time with their Guru.

Say NO to this project. As Gurmustuk Singh ji said, it's a great concept and Singhs thought of this years ago when Sikhitothemax was first released. But it was agreed that it certainly would ruin the atmosphere of an historical and naturally beautiful Sri Harimandir Sahib. I think nowadays, if people want to go listen to divaans at Sri Harimandir Sahib and study the meanings, they should use widely available smart phones installed with an application such as Gurbani Anywhere.

Waheguroo jee ka khalsa waheguroo jee kee fateh!

I know some of the main sevadars on this project and I endorse it 100%. It seems to me that it would be a great boon in educating the masses and teaching them about gurmat and why they are at darbar sahib in the first place. First and foremost it will be good for the local population, secondly for visitors and thirdly for non-"sikhs" who are only there as tourists.

Imagine if it was there during the upcoming Obama visit.

These screens have been in the works for over 2 years. Engineers and designers have worked on the designs, and the SGPC has gone through an approval process. All that remains is the funding to install it. The sevadars have flown all over the place to trade shows and done much research in finding the most effective screens.

These screens are NOT jumbotrons, video screens or ad billboards. At darbar sahib they will ONLY be used to display SikhiToTheMax or equivalent of the shabad currently being sung.

By the logic of some here, perhaps they should remove the loudspeakers as they are a distraction while on the parkarma.. the noise and all...

These sevadars do NOT want to big up there name. They are the same sevadars that have installed STTM screens at every gurudwara in GTA, whether they wanted it or not. This has resulted in massive parchar and benefit for the sangat. The sevadar I spoke to told me how the basic understanding led him into being strong in Sikhi and then wanting to get santhiya etc.

Think about all of the Sikhs who do not know much about Sikhi and how much they will learn from this. Why do we have to attack everything good that others do? While doing nothing good ourselves?

Sorry MKhalsaTheOriginal,

I still feel the concept is wrong - and it still looks wrong. One of the thing I love about Sri Harimandir Sahib is it's history in every single being of its structure - from the marble floors where the blood of our shaheeds was once spilled, to the golden dome which bears the wounds of attack. I don't want a single stone covered by an ugly screen because some people want to take the easy way out and look at a screen to find the meaning of a shabad rather than actually go away and study Gurbani. You cannot compare the installation of necessary loud speakers in harimandir sahib to luxurious led screens. Loudspeakers are a necessity in the sense that not all the humble visitors can sit inside to listen to the divaan. Loudspeakers are needed. LED screens are not. Put them outside Sri Harimandir Sahib... but don't bring them inside the complex.

One other thing, the translations etc provided by STTM and other Gurbani translation software are not perfect... infact, they are far from perfect and don't even BEGIN to go into enough detail into what each tukk in Gurbani means. Only the Gurbani is perfect, only Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee is perfect. We shouldnt be giving the visitors to Sri Harimandir Sahib the impression that Gurbani can be summarised in one or two lines. And then, what language will the translations / transliterations be in? English? What about those who don't know English? Guru Jee never discriminated against anyone... and Guru Jee proved that in His structure of Sri Harimandir Sahib.

I don't care if Obama visits Sri Harimandir Sahib or not either. Sri Harimandir Sahib does not cater for VIP's! (Well it shouldn't do but nowadays we have too many sellouts in the panth who think that we do and can allow for "exceptions" to the "head-covering" rule. Idiots.)

I know this is my opinion, but I pray it does not go ahead.

I agree with you about VIPs.

English has become the defacto second language for everyone on Earth to trade with. It is taught worldwide. The plan is to have 3 languages though.

Regarding your strange view of "history"... The marble on the parkarma is brand new becuase the SGPC wanted to erase all history of the "militants"

The walls of the buildings? NEW. The paint is white wash over actual historical art.

The gold was added against the wishes of the panth.

The Bungas were destroyed and replaced with high walls. Darbar sahib was actually supposed to be open to all.. the 4 doors thing is NEW..

And lastly, history gets made somehow.. in 50 years, these screens will be called historical value to the complex. Its what you make it. I for one am very inspired by this.

I am aware of that, but just because SGPC has destroyed a lot of the originality of Sri Harimandir Sahib doesnt mean we should say "Oh well, its been done in the past so why not carry on destroying and ruining the shrine." We should come together and prevent anymore "modifications" like that rather than add to its long list of unwanted additions.

And sorry, but English is NOT taught everywhere around the world. I have visited MANY other countries around Europe (western world countries) and educated people there even struggle with English. They may be able to understand a bit or read it, but not at the pace of fast screen transitions. By the time they read one word, the tukk would have changed. And not everyone is educated either.

As someone on facebook just commented "all that money could be used for better charitable projects, like the ones KhalsaAid participates in."

As someone on facebook just commented "all that money could be used for better charitable projects, like the ones KhalsaAid participates in."

Nobody is preventing you from donating to KhalsaAid and in fact I encourage you to do so.

That doesn't mean that you go after other positive projects by sevadars.

The elder sevadars that are doing this don't use the internet, they will probably never see your unfounded objections.