Mandir Parshad

chupchapiti

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh

Sangat ji,

Should you take mandir prashad if they offer you?? What does our gurmat maryada has to say about it?

My mum's coworker who is hindu gave her some mandir prashad to take home. My mum gave it to all of us saying its parshad. I didn't ask her where the prashad was from. This morning when i was cleaning the kitchen, I saw prashad sitting on the counter. I asked mum about where the prashad was from & that she shouldn't leave it on the counter like this. Then She told me that it was mandir da parshad. I got mad at her for taking the prashad from her coworker. She said she couldn't say no to them cz its parshaad and they give it to her with sharda. I still don't feel that we should take parshad from mandirs.

What do you all think about this ?

Thanks in advance.

It's not Mandir the Parshad. It's the Parshad of an idol. As Sikhs we stay away from such practices. Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji did not accept the stone idol so why would his Sikh accept it or the idols blessing.

In Sikhi we don't call Parshad of a Gurdwara. It's Guru's Parshad.

Best not to take it. Your mom accepted the parshad because she didn't want to offend someone. Instead of getting upset you should talk and explain why this shouldn't be done. If you do accept it out of respect, don't consume it, but don't throw it in the trash either because someone's shardha (even if they are non-Sikh) is attached to it. Put it away for birds to consume it. Thats one way to dispose it off respectfully. A true Sikh won't disrespect anything that holds religious sentiments for someone, even if the someone is a non-Sikh. Whether its a book, a scripture, or sweets that they call parshad, find a respectful way to put it away (I had Mormons come home once and give me a Bible. I went to a store and left it where they kept flowers for sale). If they expect you to consume it right away, then you have no choice but to refuse. I used to accept it long ago, but didn't see any point if all I am left with is dubidha and confusion after consuming it. Several GurSikhs suggested its no harm even if you consume it as at the end of the day you don't worship those gods/goddesses, therefore its only sweets for you. But regardless of that, avoid putting yourself in such a situation. I am from a Hindu family, and trust me I had a hard time saying no to my parents in the beginning. You may have Hindus come up with comments like "hey, we always consume karah parshad and Langar when we go to the Gurdwara", or "hey, we never refuse parshad from Gurdwara". Response should be "well, you choose to consume karah parshad and Langar, no one forces you to. If you don't want to consume it, feel free not to". Make your stand firm and clear, let them know that you bow your head ONLY to Sahib Siri Guru Granth Sahib Jee Maharaj and accept only karah parshad from Gurdwara. If they say "all my other Sikh friends accept the Mandir parshad", tell them "that is their choice. I respect your religious sentiments and I expect you to do the same. I cannot accept it and I respectfully refuse", and say it politely.

Just remember one thing, if someone's reason for rejecting Hindu parshad is that they have something against Hindus or Hinduism or if they hate/dislike/despise them, such a person won't make any spiritual progress as a Sikh either, since a Sikh is to remain free from hatred. These kind of situations can be tricky and frustrating (they were for me because of obvious reasons). We are to stay unique, distinct, and niyaare, but also live like Bhai Kanhaiya jee, and not hate anyone. Another thing that helped me is having friendships and close associations only with GurSikhs. That way you won't get into such a situation to begin with.

Please forgive any mistakes. At the end of the day, only Gurujee can judge us, and He alone knows best what is in our hearts/minds, and what are our intentions.

• 4 weeks later...

it seems like ppl living abroad are bit racist towards other religions, but here in punjab i have many sikh friends, some of whom are amritdhari but they have no problem in visiting temples & taking prasad.

i think some ppl have forget......

Aval allah noor upaya, kudrat kae sabb bandae ||

Ek noor tae sab jag upjaeya, Kon bhalae ko mandae

I would take but will not consume it but instead leave it to feed birds etc as mehtab mentioned. I can't watch to hurt other person feelings regardless of their culture, religion but i will not compromise my belief either. The only good thing to do is not to be angry and take it in a cool way. If i to visit sikh gurdwara with a hindu friend and if he flatly refuse to take parsad then i would probably be upset and in my mind i will label him as fanatic arya samaji or stubborn radical etc..

but here in punjab i have many sikh friends, some of whom are amritdhari but they have no problem in visiting temples & taking prasad.

It is wrong if visiting such places for religious reasons. Our Guru Sahib ji clearly said.. Never bow or agree or support idol worship.. Visiting one time for curiosity is different than visiting again and again. If one is sikh then be a good sikh. if one is hindu then be a good hindu. If one is a sikh then don't try to be a hindu.. Hatred has no place in sikhi and veer punjabisoul6.. all are different and not everybody abroad are against hindus or muslims. There are few misguided in every religion/community here and there but they will learn sooner or later..

Vsingh, why would you be upset, if a person does not take parsad? If he refuses to cover his head and he wants to enter the Gurdwara, then that's a reason to be upset about. Would you be upset if he entered Darbar Sahib and did not bow to Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj? People have a choice whether not to partake in some things in the Gurdwara and that's completely their choice.