Wearing Leather Shoes And Clothes To The Gurdwara

Whitehorse

Given the fact that meat is forbidden in gurdwaras, should we not also ban the wearing of leather shoes and clothes to gurdwaras?

Is it right for people to sit in front of the Guru Granth Sahib wearing cowhide on their person? It is the skin of an animal - surely, it is wrong to where it in the Guru's house.

For footwear, there are many alternative options, such as rubber sandals, plastic shoes (e.g. Crocs) and trainers.

I am interested in the views of my brothers and sisters.

I am interested in the views of my brothers and sisters.

Don't kid yourself, you are not interested in the views of brothers and sisters, you are here to cause controversy and argument, that is all.

Why don't you open a thread about gurbani or naam simran. Why don't you tell us how much naam simran you do and then we can suggest how we can all improve our naam simran and amritwella.

Let us talk about some Guru Ji incident or some Guru saka so that we can learn from it.

Don't kid yourself, you are not interested in the views of brothers and sisters, you are here to cause controversy and argument, that is all.

Why don't you open a thread about gurbani or naam simran. Why don't you tell us how much naam simran you do and then we can suggest how we can all improve our naam simran and amritwella.

Let us talk about some Guru Ji incident or some Guru saka so that we can learn from it.

I agree with everything you said Bundha ji, but let's leave the part out of, how much naam simran he does or doesn't.

So how about it Whitehorse, educate a moorakh like me on Naam Simran or intrepret a shabad for us in your own words?

No because only eating meat is banned, not wearing animal sourced garments. I believe praatan miyaans (weapon cases) were made of leather, correct me if I'm wrong. The idea is that Sikh's dont eat meat so obviously it follows that there is no reason for there to be meat in a Gurdwara Sahib, on the other hand animal items are not dismissed from a Sikh's life and they serve useful purposes such as in tablas, therefore banning them would serve no purpose at all. We are lacto-vegetarians, not jains.

A very good question. The fact is that meat is animals killed solely to fulfil the desires of our taste-buds as there is plenty of less sin carrying vegetarian foods made available by Waheguru ji. Then perhaps nowadays wearing of animals is solely to fulfil our ego fashion sense as there are much cheaper and less sin carrying materials which are strong and keep you warm. Besides in my local Guru Ghar we leave jackets and shoes downstairs and out of the Darbar where Guru ji Maharaj is. My point here is that yes the act you are describing should stop, and there are 2 methods: making sure people dont wear them by kicking out people as if they were eating meat, or educating people so they do not do it. I think the latter is better as if you educate people, then they will not do wrong things because they are wrong, but if you threaten people then they will not do wrong things because of fear of getting caught. A sign on the entrance to the Gurus property banning meat alcohol animal skins and tobacco should suffice get one made for your Gurdwara and put it up. Just ensure that before any serious action, if someone breaks the rule then educate them as to why it is wrong and ask them to leave, if they are arrogant continually then by all means throw them onto the street.

I would avoid wearing leathers to the gurdwarras but if it was worn in form of a jacket or something, leave it at the door with the shoes I'd say out of respect. One big thing are leather handbags, I'm not sure how that issue could be avoided as elderly ladies also carry leather handbags. And then there are belts.....

No because only eating meat is banned, not wearing animal sourced garments. I believe praatan miyaans (weapon cases) were made of leather, correct me if I'm wrong. The idea is that Sikh's dont eat meat so obviously it follows that there is no reason for there to be meat in a Gurdwara Sahib, on the other hand animal items are not dismissed from a Sikh's life and they serve useful purposes such as in tablas, therefore banning them would serve no purpose at all. We are lacto-vegetarians, not jains.

This and the tabla is made from hide.

Sikhi and not eating meat goes hand in hand because it is unnecessarily taking the life of an animal. Native Americans used to eat meat, but they would worship the buffalo and utilize 100% of what they used in their everyday lives. They would not over eat for no reason.

That's a different subject though..

There have been some interesting responses on this issue.

My personal view is that people need to be pragmatic about such issues. A number of people have said that it is eating meat that is forbidden and that musical instruments and weapons have leather components (which is acceptable). That is a pragmatic position.

However, I would also understand it if gurdwaras encouraged people not to wear leather clothing or carry leather bags into the darbar hall.

I raised this issue to engage in a debate and to highlight how difficult it is to establish rules and guidance about something like animal products.