Remembrance – The Sikh Story

SikhRoots

Airing 11.20-11.50pm on Tuesday 9th November on BBC One & HD One.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2010/wk45/unplaced.shtml#unplaced_sikh

Across the country during November, Remembrance Services will honour the sacrifices made by the British Armed Forces on the battlefields of Europe in two world wars. But Britain's victories in those wars may never have been achieved without the heroism of the soldiers of a small religious faith from the far-flung corners of the Empire – the Sikhs of northern India.

One of the less well-known facts about the First World War is that more Indians volunteered to fight for Britain than all the Scots, Welsh and Irish combined, and up to a third of those Indian troops were Sikh, with 100,000 witnessing action in the European trenches by the end of the war. In the Second World War, 2.5 million Indians fought in the British Indian Army, with the Sikhs again hugely over-represented in the medals for valour, including Victoria Crosses.

Remembrance – The Sikh Story examines why soldiers from a minority Indian faith played such a hugely disproportionate role in the fight for a country they'd never visited, and a King they'd never seen, and also explores how the Sikhs' valiant fighting abilities drew the admiration of their fellow Tommies in the trenches.

This film features contributions from eminent Sikh historians, British military experts and Second World War veterans, and reveals the unveiling of a new memorial for Indian First World War soldiers in the Sussex Downs. It also features the last-ever interview with legendary Squadron Leader Mahinder Singh Pujji, who passed away in September 2010.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there sorry I started a new thread in media, only just saw this one now!

Like I said on the other thread, I don't understand how a singh of the guru could fight for the same people who oppressed and massacred our people. The soldiers who survived went home only to see Amritsar locked down under an even harsher British regime and the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.

Coming over here to Britain and hunting down those that ordered the oppression and murder of sikhs would have been a much better idea, if I was going to put down my life it would be to murder those responsible, not fight for them.

Hi there sorry I started a new thread in media, only just saw this one now!

Like I said on the other thread, I don't understand how a singh of the guru could fight for the same people who oppressed and massacred our people. The soldiers who survived went home only to see Amritsar locked down under an even harsher British regime and the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.

Coming over here to Britain and hunting down those that ordered the oppression and murder of sikhs would have been a much better idea, if I was going to put down my life it would be to murder those responsible, not fight for them.

Because they needed help.

Because they needed help.

I'm sorry I'm just very angry that Sikhs were being killed in India while others were fighting for those who were killing us. In one way I see it as a sell out but I guess it can be seen as an act of goodness aswell. But it's like sikhs fighting for moghuls somewhere while they massacre us elsewhere, the British govt was under royal rule so the same people who gave orders for sikh oppression were really the same people these sikhs were fighting for. I know britain needed help and that it was a world war etc but brits should have given us back punjab if they wanted us to fight.

I'm not talking about the Indian army though, they did very well and helped the world alot.

But If Britain wanted sikh help they should have treated us much much better and given us back Punjab for good- you cant beat someones mother while asking for their sons help.

I'm sorry I'm just very angry that Sikhs were being killed in India while others were fighting for those who were killing us. In one way I see it as a sell out but I guess it can be seen as an act of goodness aswell. But it's like sikhs fighting for moghuls somewhere while they massacre us elsewhere, the British govt was under royal rule so the same people who gave orders for sikh oppression were really the same people these sikhs were fighting for.

We were fighting for the innocent in Britain, and the jews dying in concentration camps in Germany :)

Ok ok I agree with you and I agree and where inncocent people need help they should get it! :sleep:

Buutttt, it would have been nice to have been shown some appreciation from the british govt for helping protect their nation rather than being massacred by them in Jallianwala Bagh, I'm pretty sure thats something every1 can agree on.

Ok ok I agree with you and I agree and where inncocent people need help they should get it! :sleep:

Buutttt, it would have been nice to have been shown some appreciation from the british govt for helping protect their nation rather than being massacred by them in Jallianwala Bagh, I'm pretty sure thats something every1 can agree on.

Iagree with you paji it wud have been nice, but had the Sikhs not have stood up again for those who had betrayed us so brutally then we would not have been known today as the most compassionate panth on the planet.

"Phareedaa jo tai maaran mukeeaa(n) tinnaa n maarai ghum, Aapnerdai ghar jaaeeai pair tinna de chum"

Oh Fareed, those people that hit in you, do not him them back with your fist. Go back to your home, and instead kiss their feet.

:D