Questions As A Young Sikh Male.

'S'

Here is what I have understood from other GurSikhs. I am not any authority so please feel to disagree or point out mistakes.

Everyone gets what they aim for. Hindus worship deities and wish to reach the lok (realm) of that deity. Muslims and Christians aim for heaven. A good Hindu/Muslim/Christian does manage to achieve what he/she aspires for as a result of good deeds and the best way they follow their faith. A Sikh's ultimate destination is Sachkhand, i.e. union with Akaal Purakh Vaheguroo as SunSingh also stated. Realms, heavens and hells are temporary motels where you go, enjoy the rewards of your good deeds (flowers as raja pointed out), and then you are back to destination earth. Unlike Semitic religions, we don't condemn non-Sikhs to eternal damnation (permanent hell). Rather, we believe that they get what they aim for.

I am no one to say what is the best way or what is not, but for me its Sikhi. I believe it is the only true way because it is for me. Bhai Gurdas Jee has clearly said "Nanak Nirmal Panth Chalaya", meaning that Sahib Sri Guru Nanak Dev Jee Maharaj started a flawless way of life. Amrit is something even Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee Maharaj took. If all religions are equal, if all lead to God, why would Sikhi come to this planet in the first place?

At the end of the day, all you guys and ladies are free to believe in what you want to and choose to believe in. Its your life, and your relationship with Gurujee. Whatever you believe in will decide your consequences in the afterlife. So choose wisely.

So are you trying to indicate that Sikhism is superior since sachkhand is union with God and we can recieve that as Sikhs? Then why is it a Muslim's fault he was born into a Muslim family? Or a Hindu's fault? They aren't exposed to the teachings of Sikhism. Please clarify.

What Guptkuri is trying to say is- some people don't recognize themselves as Sikhs, yet they follow Sikhi.

Can you name any Gursikhs in the past that took this stand, after Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj gave Amrit. Because the above does not make sense whatsoever. Following Sikhi means taking Amrit, which means giving your head to Guru Sahib. You can't follow Sikhi without giving your head.

Sikhi is universal, patalaa pataal lakh agasaa gaas. Anywhere in the Universe, Sikhi is true.

Taking Amrit is initiation into the Khalsa Panth and for someone who follows Guru Sahibs everyone should take Amrit.

Taking Amrit means being born/given yourself to into Gurmat(Sikhi) and now you are consider a Sikh because you gave your head to Guru Sahib. Sikhi is not about performing good deeds because you get rewards afterward. There is no reward in Sikhi. Gursikhs live accorrding to Sikhi because thats their breath of life. When other religions talk about breath of life they say use it for good because at the end you will get a reward. Sikhi is completely against this and say live as a Sikh and if not then why not gather all the wealth on this earth. What doesn't this world have that heaven will? It has everything from all sorts of powers to all sorts of luxury that some religious people are waiting for at the end. Sikhs don't want to escape from the cycle of birth and death, no paradise, no state of nothingness, no rewards, no going to any God, just singing Sri Waheguru ji for Sri Waheguru ji.

The cycle of birth and death exist, paradise exist, Jamdooth exist, Messenger of Death exist, the angels exist, the demon exist, the demi gods exist, but nothing matters, all are not important for a Sikh.

Other religions lead their goals, where they achieve heaven or some other reward they were looking for in their life time. If Christianity or other religions lead to Sri Waheguru ji then why did Sri Waheguru ji come as Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj and teach Gurmat?

So are you trying to indicate that Sikhism is superior since sachkhand is union with God and we can recieve that as Sikhs?

Sikhs don't even understand that Sikhi has no destination. Sikhs need to understand that Sikhi is the 'reward'. This lifestyle we live is not going to get us anywhere in terms of heaven. Ever heard a Sant say I am going anywhere. There is no where to go Sri Waheguru ji is here, realize him in the time we have on this earth.

Then why is it a Muslim's fault he was born into a Muslim family? Or a Hindu's fault? They aren't exposed to the teachings of Sikhism. Please clarify.

You can say the same for an atheist who grow up in an atheist family. They don't even believe in God. If you want someone to blame then blame the creator himself. This is a question more on Karma. What ever Sri Waheguru ji subjectsa person to then that's where they are. Then the question comes up on free will. Which exist to a certain point, but majority of the time the five vices kills this free will and makes the person commit the same mistakes over and over.

You can say the same for an atheist who grow up in an atheist family. They don't even believe in God. If you want someone to blame then blame the creator himself. This is a question more on Karma. What ever Sri Waheguru ji subjectsa person to then that's where they are. Then the question comes up on free will. Which exist to a certain point, but majority of the time the five vices kills this free will and makes the person commit the same mistakes over and over.

Well my question is that if someone is born into a Non Sikh family then that means it was due to their karma that they werent exposed to Sikhi, but what about the years before Guru Nanak Dev Ji? I know this question is often asked, but I've never really found an answer from the Sikhs who believe that Sikhi is the more superior path or lifestyle. (by the way, this does not mean I am referring to you Only Five Ji I am just asking a question in general, just to clarify)

Well my question is that if someone is born into a Non Sikh family then that means it was due to their karma that they werent exposed to Sikhi, but what about the years before Guru Nanak Dev Ji? I know this question is often asked, but I've never really found an answer from the Sikhs who believe that Sikhi is the more superior path or lifestyle. (by the way, this does not mean I am referring to you Only Five Ji I am just asking a question in general, just to clarify)

Bhenji, let's back up at the beginning of the universe. How, what did a soul do to be born to be animals or plants or a rock first? Gurbani tells us only Sri Waheguru ji existed and then he created the universe, so now how did he decide which soul is to be a human or animal, or rock? We had no existence before so how can we be doing anything good or bad to make our karma. We can't say Sri Waheguru ji favored one soul over the other, because in Sri Mool Mantar Sahib we have Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj telling us, Sri Waheguru ji is without hate and fear. Or did he create everyone as the lostest life form and make us work our way up to the human life form and that's where our karma brought us today. We have bhagats that have their bani in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj and they left this earth before Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj came to this earth. So we know Shabad Guru was here since the beginning of time. But how did Bhagat Naamdev ji realize the Shabad Guru and the other people did not? Only answer i can come to is he was blessed by Guru Sahib and recieved the understanding and devotion. We can discuss this forever.

Do we really need to answer the question of whose fault it is other people were not put on the path of Sikhi to say Sikhi is a path to Sri Waheguru ji and others lead to a destination of heaven, paradise, nothingness, etc? It's not something the Sikhs made up that other religions take their own people to these destinations. These guys made it up themselves and preach this stuff all over the world. Maybe that's how much understanding was given to these people of other religions and instead of attaching themselves to the truth(Gurmat like Bhagat Naamdev ji did) they organized groups and said i follow this path only and they only follow that path. Maybe these people liked what the religion offered them and they were attracted to that one religion over the other. There are numerous possiblities here and we can discuss till we are blue in the face.

Who said a Muslim has to be a Muslim, and Hindu has to be a Hindu? They can let their religious ties go. They are attached to their religion and don't want to follow Gurmat. We have Guru nindaks that call themselves Sikhs and they don't follow Gurmat. Whose fault is it that these guys have gone off Gurmat. Truely what we are trying to discuss here is Sri Waheguru ji's command. We know what we know from looking at other religions and see what they teach and (which is the only thing that matters) what for. The reason behind an act is what makes it Gurmat or Manmat(ritual/following the mind, begging for materialist things, countless others). A Muslim in this world today, just like a person who calls himself a Sikh, both have one thing in common. They are stuck on Manmat. The Koran teaches a Muslim to follow Allah, but the Koran also takes the Muslim astray from Allah. The directions are not clear to Allah(i'm refering to Sri Waheguru ji as Allah here) They limit Sri Waheguru ji aswell in the Koran. Just because something speaks of God, it does not make it all true.

Bhenji, let's back up at the beginning of the universe. How, what did a soul do to be born to be animals or plants or a rock first? Gurbani tells us only Sri Waheguru ji existed and then he created the universe, so now how did he decide which soul is to be a human or animal, or rock? We had no existence before so how can we be doing anything good or bad to make our karma. We can't say Sri Waheguru ji favored one soul over the other, because in Sri Mool Mantar Sahib we have Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj telling us, Sri Waheguru ji is without hate and fear. Or did he create everyone as the lostest life form and make us work our way up to the human life form and that's where our karma brought us today. We have bhagats that have their bani in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj and they left this earth before Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj came to this earth. So we know Shabad Guru was here since the beginning of time. But how did Bhagat Naamdev ji realize the Shabad Guru and the other people did not? Only answer i can come to is he was blessed by Guru Sahib and recieved the understanding and devotion. We can discuss this forever.

Do we really need to answer the question of whose fault it is other people were not put on the path of Sikhi to say Sikhi is a path to Sri Waheguru ji and others lead to a destination of heaven, paradise, nothingness, etc? It's not something the Sikhs made up that other religions take their own people to these destinations. These guys made it up themselves and preach this stuff all over the world. Maybe that's how much understanding was given to these people of other religions and instead of attaching themselves to the truth(Gurmat like Bhagat Naamdev ji did) they organized groups and said i follow this path only and they only follow that path. Maybe these people liked what the religion offered them and they were attracted to that one religion over the other. There are numerous possiblities here and we can discuss till we are blue in the face.

Who said a Muslim has to be a Muslim, and Hindu has to be a Hindu? They can let their religious ties go. They are attached to their religion and don't want to follow Gurmat. We have Guru nindaks that call themselves Sikhs and they don't follow Gurmat. Whose fault is it that these guys have gone off Gurmat. Truely what we are trying to discuss here is Sri Waheguru ji's command. We know what we know from looking at other religions and see what they teach and (which is the only thing that matters) what for. The reason behind an act is what makes it Gurmat or Manmat(ritual/following the mind, begging for materialist things, countless others). A Muslim in this world today, just like a person who calls himself a Sikh, both have one thing in common. They are stuck on Manmat. The Koran teaches a Muslim to follow Allah, but the Koran also takes the Muslim astray from Allah. The directions are not clear to Allah(i'm refering to Sri Waheguru ji as Allah here) They limit Sri Waheguru ji aswell in the Koran. Just because something speaks of God, it does not make it all true.

That was a very good reply Only Five Ji.

But I still feel that we should all concentrate on our Sikhi Jeevan, rather than trying to find flaws in the lifestyles or mentality of other faiths.

Awpu AwpnI buiD hY jyqI ]brnq iBMn iBMn quih qyqI ]

aap aapanee budhh hai jaethee ||baranath bhi(n)n bhi(n)n thuhi thaethee ||

People according to their different intelligence, Describe God differently.

qumrw lKw n jwie pswrw ]ikh ibiD sjw pRQm sMswrw ]7]

thumaraa lakhaa n jaae pasaaraa ||kih bidhh sajaa prathham sa(n)saaraa ||7||

God’s limits and extent cannot be known. How the world was fashioned for the first time cannot be known.

Great post Singh !

May I also add the point that modern Christianity don't even follow the basic teachings of Jesus. The religion has been changed so much to meet the needs of different people. Does this mean Jesus was wrong, no, his message was polluted. You can still follow the Sikh life without knowing it. With that said maryada and panj kakaar given to us by Guru Sahib are a tool to keep our Sikhi intact and keep us from getting entrapped in this kalyug filled with kam krodh lobh moh ankaar.

Simply, Sikhi is Universal.

edit- For everyone to see:

Sant Attar Singh Ji Mastuane Wale, read his jeev, it's extremely inspiring and gives a good guide to people like me who are lost and confused. I got the chance to go to the Gurudwara at Talwandi Sabo Damdama Sahib this last summer.

rajkaregakhalsa.net/literature/General%20Sikhism/Jeevan%20of%20Sant%20Attar%20Singh%20(Mastuana%20Wale).pdf

So are you trying to indicate that Sikhism is superior since sachkhand is union with God and we can recieve that as Sikhs? Then why is it a Muslim's fault he was born into a Muslim family? Or a Hindu's fault? They aren't exposed to the teachings of Sikhism. Please clarify.
Where did I say Sikhi is superior? I just stated that non-Sikhs get what they aim for, and what a Sikh should aim for. Its no one's fault that they were born into a non-Sikh family. No one ever forced any non-Sikh to become a Sikh. If they are fortunate to know/learn about Sikhi, good for them. If not, then its their karam.
my question is that if someone is born into a Non Sikh family then that means it was due to their karma that they werent exposed to Sikhi, but what about the years before Guru Nanak Dev Ji? I know this question is often asked, but I've never really found an answer from the Sikhs who believe that Sikhi is the more superior path or lifestyle.
Before Sahib Sri Guru Nanak Dev Jee the world was in darkness, thats why Gurujee came to remove spiritual darkness and ignorance. The reason you didn't find an answer is because those who told you Sikhi is superior probably didn't know themselves what superior means. And Sikhi never claimed any exclusive rights to be superior. Therefore, like I said in my previous post, all I can comprehend (and this is only my understanding) is that those who worshiped according to their faiths got what they were aiming for.
I still feel that we should all concentrate on our Sikhi Jeevan, rather than trying to find flaws in the lifestyles or mentality of other faiths.
No one is finding flaws here. Everyone is free to follow their faith and worship the way they choose to. But once again, you get what to choose to aspire for. Thats not finding any flaws.

The more you people maintain a "sweet" approach to other faiths, the more doubts you're going to have. You will be smacked in the face with questions from non-Sikhs such as "if all religions are equal, if all religions lead to the same One God, that what is the point of Sikhism? Why did Guru Nanak start a new faith?" How do you plan on responding to these questions? Its true that a Sikh respects another person's right to practice his/her religion freely, and we do not disrespect other religions either, but that does not mean we agree with them or their teachings. I won't feel about my best friend's dad the same way I feel about my dad. Yes I will respect his dad the same way I respect mine, but I won't call his dad as "daddy". A Sikh will respect all faiths, but will have conviction only towards his/her own. We don't condemn other faiths, we wish everyone the best, and at the same time we believe with full faith that for us its only Sikhi. Those who believe that all faiths are equal and that all paths lead to God, they are the ones who never have an answer to the question "if all faiths are equal and that all paths lead to God, why don't you convert to Islam", or "if all faiths are equal and that all paths lead to God, why don't you convert to Christianity".

You know what is the best religion?

ਸਰਬ ਧਰਮ ਮਹਿ ਸ੍ਰੇਸਟ ਧਰਮੁ ॥

Sarab ḏẖaram mėh saresat ḏẖaram.

Of all religions, the best religion

ਹਰਿ ਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਕਰਮੁ ॥

Har ko nām jap nirmal karam.

is to chant the Name of the Lord and maintain pure conduct.

How often have you heard of non-Sikhs talk about Naam Simran? Then the next question will be which naam? what naam? Is it Vaheguroo? or Allah? or Raam? There is no end to questions for those who want to doubt. Again Bhai Gurdas Jee says that Vaheguroo is the Naam which makes you recite the name of God for all 4 Yugs.

sathijug sathigur vaasadhaev vaavaa visanaa naam japaavai||

dhuaafar sathigur hareekrisan haahaa har har naam jipaavai||

thraethae sathigur raam jee raaraa raam japae sukh paavai||

kalijug naanak gur govi(n)dh gagaa govi(n)dh naam alaavai||

chaarae jaagae chahu jugee pa(n)chaaein vich jaae samaavai||

chaarae ashhar eik kar vaahiguroo jap ma(n)thr japaavai||

jehaa(n) thae oupajiaa fir thehaa(n) samaavai

In Satyug, Vishnu in the form of Vasudev is said to have incarnated and 'V' Of Vaheguru reminds of Vishnu.

The True Guru of Dvapar is said to be Harikrsna and 'H' of Vaheguru reminds of Hari.

In the Treta was Ram and 'R' of Vaheguru tells that remembering Ram will produce joy and happiness.

In Kalyug, Gobind is in the form of Nanak and 'G' of Vaheguru gets Govind recited.

The recitations o f all the four ages subsume in Panchayan i.e. in the soul of the common man.

When joining four letters Vaheguru is remembered,

The Jiv merges again in its origin.

You know who is the greatest?

ਸਭ ਤੇ ਵਡਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਜਿਨਿ ਕਲ ਰਾਖੀ ਮੇਰੀ ॥

Sabẖ ṯe vadā saṯgur Nānak jin kal rākẖī merī.

Guru Nanak is the greatest of all; He saved my honor in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga.

ਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਜਿਨ ਸੁਣਿਆ ਪੇਖਿਆ ਸੇ ਫਿਰਿ ਗਰਭਾਸਿ ਨ ਪਰਿਆ ਰੇ ॥

Gur Nānak jin suṇi▫ā pekẖi▫ā se fir garbẖās na pari▫ā re.

Those who have heard, and seen Guru Nanak, do not descend into the womb of reincarnation again.

And I repeat what Bhai Gurdas Jee said - "Nanak Nirmal Panth Chalaya".

Its our duty to respect other faiths, but a diamond cannot be compared to other gems, jewels, rubies, pearls, stones, because a diamond is a diamond. Its value surpasses them all. Those who value Sikhi will see it as a diamond and will never say its equivalent to anything else, even if they respect other faiths. I am not saying hate others, I am not saying that we are superior. In the eyes of Vaheguroo all humans are the same. But Sikhi is a gift. You don't see a gift as something that you purchased. Others go around selling their faiths like a commodity by telling people that its the only way to paradise. Sikhs don't do that. We don't go around seeking converts. Sikhi is a diamond that is to be discovered, not a commodity that is sold.

These are just my thoughts and views. Anyone is free to disagree or further question. For me, Sikhi is the only way and best way, and others are most welcome to follow their faiths. I will never consider myself superior to them, but will always (with Guru kirpa) try my best to stick with Sikhi, because the name is not Sikhism, its Sikhi, and Sikhi is not a religion, its a spiritually developmental progressive journey of a jeev (soul) towards Akaal Purakh Vaheguroo. Thats how we define Sikhi. Our Guru Sahib is not just a mere prophet/messenger, but diviline illumination that removes spiritual darkness. Thats who we follow. Now tell me, does any other faith come anywhere close to this?

Great post Singh !

May I also add the point that modern Christianity don't even follow the basic teachings of Jesus. The religion has been changed so much to meet the needs of different people. Does this mean Jesus was wrong, no, his message was polluted. You can still follow the Sikh life without knowing it. With that said maryada and panj kakaar given to us by Guru Sahib are a tool to keep our Sikhi intact and keep us from getting entrapped in this kalyug filled with kam krodh lobh moh ankaar.

That is stepping into dangerous grounds, why take the chance of follow Christianity when the person is not sure if it will lead to realize God? We don't know what Jesus taught so we really can't say anythingt. We know some of what he probably taught, but not all, so who are we to say one thing is Jesus teaching and the other isn't. This will lead us only on a manmat path. Jesus met God as the Bible says, so he knew what to do and the people around him at that time recieved the direct teaching from him. Now it's all a blur and politics has gone into it. Why be scared to say another religions leads to a certain destination, when they teach it themselves? Why be scared to say Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Jainism, etc have teachinges that go against Gurmat? I won't have a problem with a Christian saying Sikhs goal is to realize Sri Waheguru ji.

By saying all religions are equal, a person is bringing down Sikhi to some random path to heaven, when it's not. This is an insult to the Gurus, who spent two century plus to teach us Gurmat and get us away from ritual practices like seeking out heaven, paradise, nothingness and all the other religious destinations. Majority of the time Sikhs don't want to insult other religions, so they take the escape route all are equal, but your insulting SIkhi now. If a person doesn't know what to say, then just leave it at I don't know, but Sikhi is for me only.

And like our Gurus tell us, educate yourself about other religions and learn what they teach, so your not caught off guard and give some political correct answer. Gurmat(Sikhi) is the path of Akal Purakh, with no flaws, no reason to question the teachinges and instruct the mind to make manmat decisions on what is correct or wrong.

That was a very good reply Only Five Ji.

But I still feel that we should all concentrate on our Sikhi Jeevan, rather than trying to find flaws in the lifestyles or mentality of other faiths.

Awpu AwpnI buiD hY jyqI ]brnq iBMn iBMn quih qyqI ]

aap aapanee budhh hai jaethee ||baranath bhi(n)n bhi(n)n thuhi thaethee ||

People according to their different intelligence, Describe God differently.

qumrw lKw n jwie pswrw ]ikh ibiD sjw pRQm sMswrw ]7]

thumaraa lakhaa n jaae pasaaraa ||kih bidhh sajaa prathham sa(n)saaraa ||7||

God's limits and extent cannot be known. How the world was fashioned for the first time cannot be known.

I don't seek out opportunites to show other religious paths flaws. It would be different if I created this topic, but im replying to what others said. I completely agree, focus on our Sikhi and let other follow what they want to follow as long as it don't oppress another human being. If others(not saying you) don't agree and say Sikhi is equal to other religions, then the question still needs to be answered. Why not follow Islam rather than Sikhi, bow at the Mosque and not at Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj feet?