Edinburgh Beadbi

Satkaar

Committee of Guru Nanak Gurdwara in Edinburgh violate Sri Akal Takht Sahib Sandesh.

Meat, alcohol and parties allowed on Gurdwara premises.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

It has recently been brought to the attention of the UK Sangat that the Committee of Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Edinburgh, Scotland have made plans to refurbish a hall which is part of the Gurdwara complex.

Over the past few years this hall had fallen into disuse, however parties where meat and alcohol were served had been held in this hall. In the past some visiting Sikhs, who happened to be at the Gurdwara when a party was taking place, had observed how the floor of the holy Darbar Sahib would shake due to the excessive bass from the DJ's speakers in the party hall.

Unfortunately, the Committee have now decided that the hall should be refurbished to generate an income stream from party bookings and have began to carry out renovation works. At present the Committees' sole purpose of this refurbishment will be to accommodate parties where meat and alcohol will be allowed as well as the promotion of a belligerent atmosphere.

Satkaar Committee UK, AKJ UK and Tarna Dal joined together to condemn the plans and wrote to the Committee of the Gurdwara on 19th October 2010 requesting that they agree to cease any refurbishments being done with the intent to make the party hall available again. The hall is currently being used as an extra Langar hall and suggestions were made to the Committee that they carry on using it for that purpose exclusively or any other Gurmat related activities.

The Committee were given copies of a specific Hukamnama and Sandesh from Sri Akal Takht Sahib which are binding to all Gurdwaras around the world. The Hukumnama and Sandesh clearly state that meat, alcohol, tobacco, dancing and drugs must never be allowed on the premises of the Gurdwara Estate.

Select members of the Committee were also approached on 19th October 2010 and personally handed letters. At this point, the Committee made several hurtful and false accusations, one member claiming that he had been to Bangla Sahib and was served meat there. Once the Sangat questioned him, he conceded that this was not factually correct. Other members of the Committee had on their mobile phones a video of Chatkaa taking place and were asking why this was so dissimilar to what they were doing. The Sangat informed them simply to contact Tarna Dal to clarify their questions and pointed out the letter from the Dal.

The Committee held an open meeting at the Guru Nanak Gurdwara to supposedly address this issue, however, it turned into a blame game with more concern on who had informed the "outsiders" about what was going on. Similarly, requests have been made by the Committee during weekly divaans at this Gurdwara asking for information on who called the "outsiders".

Despite the Gurdwara Committee being advised to halt their anti Sikh activities, on 6th November reports were received that meat was prepared on the Gurdwara premises. According to an eye witness, there was a party in full swing on that date and meat and alcohol were served. In addition, the eye witness mentioned that the foul stench could be smelt throughout the entire Gurdwara complex. Even more shocking was that the party was held by a member of the Gurdwara committee, the vice Treasurer, Baldev Singh Kusbia.

The UK Sangat have now written to Sri Akal Takht Sahib and provided Jathedar Ji Giani Gurbachan Singh with the details of the Gurdwara Committees who are in violation of the Sri Akal Takht Sahib's Sandesh of 2006.

We now humbly request that members of the UK Sangat, other Parbahandak Committees and Sikh Leaders to contact this Committee in a respectful fashion to help them understand their obligation to Sri Akal Takht Sahib.

President - Gurcharn Singh Landa 07854 802429

General Secretary - Kuldip Singh Bhai - 07531 253473

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

post-24999-068497400 1289582396_thumb.jp

post-24999-064450600 1289582526_thumb.jp

Admin Note: Everyone is allowed to express their opinions, but it is our humble benti that you keep your comments civilised and conforming to the Sikhsangat posting rules. Any attempts to turn this into Jatha-bashing, caste, or race related issue will not be tolerated and appropriate action WILL be taken against repeating offenders. Dhanvaad!

Fateh

I have family in Edinburgh, and confirm this has been going on at this Gurdwara for years. I have been to loads of parties there, were meat and alcohol have been served. Admittedly this was at a time when i was not really into sikhi, so i didn't see a need for worry. Also on wedding days, full english breaky is also served.

just spoken to somone there they admament that this does not happen ? they happy for sangat to go down and question what they do !

This does not mean this does not happen has anyone substantial proof

What a shame that the members of committee feel they can simply lie to the UK Sangat by fobbing people off the phone.

When I spoke to someone at the Gurdwara telephone number this morning I was told that the hall allows parties, meat and sharab but is "not" part of the Gurdwara because the door is now sealed off. He did admit it was built from the Guru's golak.

When I spoke to Mr Landa (the pardaan)on his mobile 10 minutes later, he said that the hall next door does not serve meat and sharab and it's all a rumour created by people who have it in for the committee. He stated that the committee abide by Akal Takht Hukumnama. I said if that's the case please release a letter on your Gurdwara official document stating this and that you disapprove of party halls in Gurdwaras. He didn't respond and then cut me off. He's not picking his mobile phone up now.

The Scottish Sangat have already questioned what the Committee do and the Committee simply ignore and carry on. That's why it's escalated to this level.

I live in Glasgow and I can personally confirm that the whole claims about not preparing meat or allowing parties is a lie. There WAS a party in full swing last weekend in the hall. The hall itself was fully funded by sangat's money and is connected directly to the Gurdwara.

The fact that they are overtly lying is shameful. When approached by the Singhs there was no denial whatsoever, if anything, there were simply excuses.

There is no hidden agenda against the committee, dirty politics and accusations will not be able to mask their sacrilligeous actions. If they do still claim that this does not happen (contrary to the overwhelming volume of evidence) then the question remains, why have they not managed to sign a simple statement, that sets out that the Gurdwara committee does not endorse this activity, nor will they allow the refurbished hall to be used for any parties, nor will they use the sangat's donations in the Golak to build a seperate hall.

lol now they are having to lie. thats a real shame, ive been there plenty times when i was younger add in recent years. the only divide between the langar hall and the function hall is a crappy door.

This is absolutely true, theres a door, that remains unlocked that is the divide. I have been to the Gurdwara picking up some friends whilst a party was on a few years back, and the noise, even in darbar sahib is deafening. Those who are eating meat, intoxicated have nothing stopping them coming into the langar hall or darbar sahib during a party.

It's simple as one person said above, if they claim not to have such things going on, why not release a statement and sign a letter that sets out their position explicitly?

But hang on a minute. I don't understand :o The exact same thing has been going and is still going on, in every single 'bhatra' gurdwara in the UK for the last 50 years. Have you all been in a coma for the last 50 years and have only just woken up ? :o

Secondly, for the last 50 years every Sikh in the UK has refused to even discuss the situation, let alone do something about it, in the fear of being seen as 'casteist'. What makes you all so different ? The answer is nothing. Nothing in the UK ever changes. You can get several coach loads to go to Grays because of a party in a totally seperate building but you all know as well as I do that you will struggle to get more then 3 Singhs together brave enough to stop an actual beadbi inside an actual bhatra gurdwara.