Edinburgh Beadbi

Satkaar

fateh

Here we go, a long comes the Bhatra bashing. Being from this background my self, i will admit there are a few Gurdwara this has being going on in, but don't paint the whole bunch like that. There are a lot of stereotypes for all different communities, but no not every Gurdwara does it. Obviously you seem to have a vendetta against this community seing as your name suggests your from london and this topic did not mention any caste but you steamed wright in. Im not having a go its just its the persons them selfs not a community. 

my believe is that many Bhatra Gurdwara are actually owned not by sangat but by families, and the people who are in-charge run it like a business. i only wish the community would take on Sikhi more in a religious way and not culturally.

West London Singh not having a go bruv, you my hommie.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

We strongly request indviduals not to make this a caste bashing issue. There is no point in standing for Gur Maryada if caste is still to be used as a means of attacking a specific Gurdwara Committee or used to justify anti Sikh activities in a Gurdwara.

Satkaar Committee UK have passed to Sri Akal Takht Sahib the details of 16 Gurdwara Committees who violate Gur Maryada and the Sandesh of April 2006. No discrimination has been made against the caste, jathebhandi, background etc of the Committees whose details have been forwarded.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Just found out that the Pardhaan Gurcharan Singh has confirmed on the telephone that this type of activity does happen, and also that he's given a guarantee that it will be closed down and put a stop to as quickly as possible.

The Committee have been sent a form to sign accepting their obligation to abide by the akal takht huukamnama and sandesh. The deadline runs out on Tuesday so hopefully they will realise the gravity of their situation now.

Spoke to the Pardaan, first he tried to deny it happened, then he admitted it happened, then he tried to justify it by saying that goat sacrifice happens at Hazoor Sahib, then he said they will close it down once they buy a new site (with Sangat money) away from the Gurdwara, then he said Sikh maryada allows meat, then he said who gave you my number, then he said the hall will continue being used, then he said he abides by Akal Takht Sahib and is a Sikh. He changed his position multiple times in the space of a 10 minute call.

Yes maybe it has been happening for last 50 years, but that doesnt mean we should let it carry on should we?

I didn't say we 'should' let it carry on. I said we 'will' let it carry on.

There is a very good reason why 'we' as the UK Sikh community managed to get hundreds of Sikhs in coach loads down to Grays Gurdwara because of parties taking place in a seperate building to the actual gurdwara but have not bothered with the dozen or so gurdwaras of the bhatra sangat where far worse things happen inside the actual gurdwara. And that reason is fear. Fear of being seen as 'casteist'. Hell we're even scared to mention it let alone do something about it.

If we're not scaredycats then answer me this : At the same time as the 'parties in a seperate building' in Grays story broke....a paaji here posted an actual video of actual chicken, bacon, pork sausages and eggs being served as actual langar in the actual langar hall of an actual gurdwara in southampton. If we're not timid little scaredycats can you please explain to me why we went down to Grays en masse rather than Southampton ? The answer is fear. Fear of being seen as casteist. Fear of being percieved as casteist. This fear is gonna eat us up.

my believe is that many Bhatra Gurdwara are actually owned not by sangat but by families, and the people who are in-charge run it like a business. i only wish the community would take on Sikhi more in a religious way and not culturally.

West London Singh not having a go bruv, you my hommie.

and I'm not having a meaningless go at the bhatra sangat either Gsinghysingh. Honestly. hand on my heart, I feel they need to move with the times. My feeling is that they are stuck in the same mentality of the 1930's and 1940's when they first arrived on these shores. The thing is, the wider Sikh community in the UK did exactly the same things here in the 1950's and 60's as the bhatra sangat is still doing today. The wider Sikh community though, learn't what is right and what is wrong and moved on.....changed their ways. lets take the UK's largest and premier Gurdwara for example ; Havelock Road , Southall. My grandfather was a regular there back in the 1960's, when the sangat first took it over from the dairy. He's told me how that particular Gurdwara, in fact all the Gurdwaras in the UK at the time, were seen as the community centre for the Sikhs. The langar hall was where all the men would gather after a hard days shift in the factory and drink alcohol together and eat meat. Butr slowly, as the families acieved somne level of education, they learn't that this is not right. I know bhatras. The impression I've got from bhatra friends is that they revel in their role as renegades and outsiders. They like that position. They like the fact that they do things like the hazoor sahib singhs and nihungs. Not like the mainstream sikh commuinity. Their children are in no hurry to teach their elders anything about sikhi. They're in no hurry to change anything. Very much stuck in the past as far as the wider sikh community is concerned. It's not just the beadbi in the gurdwara issue either. We could also talk about the way that the bhatra women are expected to do 'pardah'...or veiling in front of their menfolk. The way that bhatra sikh girls are all married off at the age of 16 and denied the chance of higher education etc. There are many issues here. People can easily wrongly accuse me of being casteist but I am anything but. I feel strongly that it is time to stop being scared to talk about these things and time to actively bring the bhatras in from the cold and part of the mainstream Sikh community in the UK. But if we're gonna be scared to mention it and bury our heads in the sand....that's never gonna happen.

After a lengthy discussion with Gurcharan Singh Landa yesterday, it appears that the Edinburgh Gurdwara committee are now expressing some anxiety in relation to being considered tankhaya (apostates) by Sri Akal Takht Sahib for not adhering to Gur Maryada. The Gurdwara committee had several meetings over the weekend due to the overwhelming impact of the UK Sangat contacting the Gurdwara, President and Committee members directly.

Let's see what official communication they give out to the UK Sangat.

Benti to all those Gursikhs who have made contact with this committee, please keep the dialogue going. Unlike the Grays Gurdwara Committee, the Edninburgh Committee seem to be listening and open to discussion.

WJKK WJKF

West london Singh - guess what area your from :)

You issued a challange i have 5 singhs ready ... if you want we'll go to any gurdwara you want but you have to stand at the front with us... if your ready drop me a PM.

so many people s saying this and that but if everyone got up and went to a gurdwara where beadbi was happening then i know that 4 others would meet you there... if they dont ask for saheedi pera and ask Guru ji to give you the strength to take them to safe place

Your house can be a gurdwara .. all it realy is is a building the outer shell, ie your body/ the paper on which the bani is written .

any way why bring in caste .. the guru freed everyone of caste its a GURU HOUSE where did the caste come in can you not go in and do matha?

Bhul chuk maff

Sad Sangat nu Guru ki Fateh

Saheeda nu purnam

WJKK WJKF