Edinburgh Beadbi

Satkaar

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

The UK Sangat have been in amicable discussions with prominent committee members such as Gurcharn Singh Landa and Weje Singh of Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Edinburgh, Scotland . The discussions have been positive and we hope to have outcome on the issue by the end of today.

I've been calling as have a few other singhs i know and i couldnt get thru to the secretary number that was up, but i got to speak with the president a couple of times. he seemed a bit ambushed first of all and confused, said that there was no hall, but then backtracked and said that what he meant to say was that the hall was no longer going to be open. Seems like a nice old guy who genuinely wanted the punga over with.

See what happens, but i hear that the committee have signed an agreement thats gonna get sent today confirming that the halls closed for BeadBi!!

Good work everyone, UK Sangat, Satkaar people, Edinburgh sangat and edinburgh committee!

Satkaar - can we get the offfical letter up on here please?

Committee of Guru Nanak Gurdwara in Edinburgh violate Sri Akal Takht Sahib Sandesh.

Meat, alcohol and parties allowed on Gurdwara premises.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

It has recently been brought to the attention of the UK Sangat that the Committee of Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Edinburgh, Scotland have made plans to refurbish a hall which is part of the Gurdwara complex.

Over the past few years this hall had fallen into disuse, however parties where meat and alcohol were served had been held in this hall. In the past some visiting Sikhs, who happened to be at the Gurdwara when a party was taking place, had observed how the floor of the holy Darbar Sahib would shake due to the excessive bass from the DJ's speakers in the party hall.

Unfortunately, the Committee have now decided that the hall should be refurbished to generate an income stream from party bookings and have began to carry out renovation works. At present the Committees' sole purpose of this refurbishment will be to accommodate parties where meat and alcohol will be allowed as well as the promotion of a belligerent atmosphere.

Satkaar Committee UK, AKJ UK and Tarna Dal joined together to condemn the plans and wrote to the Committee of the Gurdwara on 19th October 2010 requesting that they agree to cease any refurbishments being done with the intent to make the party hall available again. The hall is currently being used as an extra Langar hall and suggestions were made to the Committee that they carry on using it for that purpose exclusively or any other Gurmat related activities.

The Committee were given copies of a specific Hukamnama and Sandesh from Sri Akal Takht Sahib which are binding to all Gurdwaras around the world. The Hukumnama and Sandesh clearly state that meat, alcohol, tobacco, dancing and drugs must never be allowed on the premises of the Gurdwara Estate.

Select members of the Committee were also approached on 19th October 2010 and personally handed letters. At this point, the Committee made several hurtful and false accusations, one member claiming that he had been to Bangla Sahib and was served meat there. Once the Sangat questioned him, he conceded that this was not factually correct. Other members of the Committee had on their mobile phones a video of Chatkaa taking place and were asking why this was so dissimilar to what they were doing. The Sangat informed them simply to contact Tarna Dal to clarify their questions and pointed out the letter from the Dal.

The Committee held an open meeting at the Guru Nanak Gurdwara to supposedly address this issue, however, it turned into a blame game with more concern on who had informed the "outsiders" about what was going on. Similarly, requests have been made by the Committee during weekly divaans at this Gurdwara asking for information on who called the "outsiders".

Despite the Gurdwara Committee being advised to halt their anti Sikh activities, on 6th November reports were received that meat was prepared on the Gurdwara premises. According to an eye witness, there was a party in full swing on that date and meat and alcohol were served. In addition, the eye witness mentioned that the foul stench could be smelt throughout the entire Gurdwara complex. Even more shocking was that the party was held by a member of the Gurdwara committee, the vice Treasurer, Baldev Singh Kusbia.

The UK Sangat have now written to Sri Akal Takht Sahib and provided Jathedar Ji Giani Gurbachan Singh with the details of the Gurdwara Committees who are in violation of the Sri Akal Takht Sahib's Sandesh of 2006.

We now humbly request that members of the UK Sangat, other Parbahandak Committees and Sikh Leaders to contact this Committee in a respectful fashion to help them understand their obligation to Sri Akal Takht Sahib.

President - Gurcharn Singh Landa 07854 802429

General Secretary - Kuldip Singh Bhai - 07531 253473

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

post-24999-068497400 1289582396_thumb.jp

post-24999-064450600 1289582526_thumb.jp

Admin Note: Everyone is allowed to express their opinions, but it is our humble benti that you keep your comments civilised and conforming to the Sikhsangat posting rules. Any attempts to turn this into Jatha-bashing, caste, or race related issue will not be tolerated and appropriate action WILL be taken against repeating offenders. Dhanvaad!

Press Release 16th November 2010, Edinburgh, UK

Edinburgh Gurdwara adhere to Akal Takht Sandesh

Meat, Alcohol and Parties no longer allowed on Gurdwara Complex.

With Guru Ji's blessings, The Sevadars of Satkaar Committee, AKJ UK and Tarna Dal are delighted to announce that Edinburgh Gurdwara's Members and Committees have taken the historic step in agreeing to stop the hall being used for party functions, prohibiting meat, alcohol and dancing on the holy grounds of the Gurdwara Estate (please see letter below).

This is a monumental result, that has only come through the Guru's Kirpa (blessing) and the devoted effort of all the sevadars who have joined together to tackle this problem.

The Edinburgh Sangat must be congratulated for being the first Gurdwara in this new Satkaar campaign that has begun in the UK, to take the affirmative step of recognising the mistake and rectifying it.

In a statement to be released shortly by the Committee of Guru Nanak Gurdwara Edinburgh, they declare,

"We would like to pass on our gratitude to the Satkaar Committee, AKJ, Tarna Dal & GNNSJ for all their help in resolving this issue and giving us that final push to eradicate this problem and also appreciate the initial support given to us by the Respect for Guru Granth Sahib Ji campaign Sevadars.

On behalf the Edinburgh Sangat we would like to thank all who have supported in this matter there are many nameless individuals who have helped and we are very grateful to each and every one of them.

We would also like take this opportunity to encourage all other Gurdwara's who are in similar situations as we were to accept the Akal Tahkts Sandesh and put a stop to the Beadbi."

Gurcharan Singh Landa (Pardan)

Kuldeep Singh Bhai (General Secretary)

On behalf of the sevadars, a humble thank you must also go to the UK Sangat as a whole for supporting the cause, and for becoming involved in this case. As Edinburgh have now set the trend, we are confident that others will also see that these party halls and such immoral acts must be stopped in Gurdwaras or on Gurdwara property. We hope to bring further good news in the coming week to the Sangat about the same issue that is being resolved in Grays.

post-24999-060642600 1289946983_thumb.jp

just as I was quick to condemn, I have to also say that i commend the Edinburgh lot and also the sevadars who all made this possible. Fantastic news, just really amazing. LEts see what Grays does in the next week, if they will be as brave as these guys and follow the lead. The pressure's on now!

just as I was quick to condemn, I have to also say that i commend the Edinburgh lot and also the sevadars who all made this possible. Fantastic news, just really amazing. LEts see what Grays does in the next week, if they will be as brave as these guys and follow the lead. The pressure's on now!

Excellent news, well done to all concerned.