Too Many Sants

BenaresKaThug

Sangat Ji

this question about Sants has been bothering me for a long time,

I believe there are Sants or Saints but it seems to me that any

one these days is putting that title in front of there name.

All true Sants wouldn't announce that they have met God. But

I think they will show it through there works and deeds. So

am i wrong in thinking that maybe all these people who put

Sant in front of there names are fake. What happened to Bhai

and Baba.

Why do people accept these people who put big titles in front

of there names like Sri Maan 108 1008 bramgiani and others, are

they not taking respect from Guru Sahib and transfering it to

himself.

I think the title Sant should be given out by the Takhts like when

we honer very great Sikhs who have done great seva, we give them the

title Bhia Sahib.

So am i wrong in thinking we should discourage people from calling

themselves Sant.

I understand where you're coming from. But maybe some people are so clearly spiritually superior to the rest of us, that the title 'Sant' is apt in that situation? I think the problem is when people undeserving of 'Sant' status begin to hoodwink people into believing they are worthy of respect. This puts people off the Sant's who are later revealed to be dodgy, and sadly even the good Sant's get tarred with the same brush.

But yes, I do wonder who confers the title of 'Sant' to a person? Is it themselves, their followers or someone else? Who has the audacity to claim to be a Sant? Its a very touchy subject.

hir jugu jugu Bgq aupwieAw pYj rKdw AwieAw rwm rwjy ]

har jug jug bhagath oupaaeiaa paij rakhadhaa aaeiaa raam raajae |

In each and every age, He creates His devotees and preserves their honor, O Lord King.

hrxwKsu dustu hir mwirAw pRhlwdu qrwieAw ]

haranaakhas dhusatt har maariaa prehalaadh tharaaeiaa |

The Lord killed the wicked Harnaakhash, and saved Prahlaad.

AhMkwrIAw inMdkw ipiT dyie nwmdyau muiK lwieAw ]

ahankaareeaa nindhakaa pith dhaee naamadhaeo mukh laaeiaa |

He turned his back on the egotists and slanderers, and showed His Face to Naam Dayv.

jn nwnk AYsw hir syivAw AMiq ley CfwieAw ]4]13]20]

jan naanak aisaa har saeviaa anth leae shaddaaeiaa |4|13|20|

Servant Nanak has so served the Lord, that He will deliver him in the end. ||4||13||20||

Everytime a katha or keertan cd is out or a baba is coming to do katha.  He always seems to have a big title infront of there name.

and as for the gurbani quote above i hope you don't think im slandering any sants, because its just a question i had.  But i think we

need to be watchful when someone without jap or tap is having such titles infront of there names.  Also who gives these titles out

anyways. 

Guest mantar raam raam

True sants can proclaim they have met god! Read Bhai Nand lal jees ghazals and when all hallaj pronounced Anal Haq. Read gurbani and you will find such things.

Titles have always been on, look at gurbani where the title sant is given before a name... look through history from Bansavali nama to Giani Gian Singh and you will find the title sant.

If we cant recognise who is a real sant, dont blame the person who has the title, blame yourself for not having the avastha to recognise. Mantar Raam Raam Namang is a good starting point.

I also disagree that there are to many sants. Its a shame we dont have more sants who can do parchar... maharaj kirpa kari that we can reach such an avasta and do parchar.

ਤੇ ਸੰਤ ਭਲੇ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਹੈ ਜਿਨ ਨਾਹੀ ਚਿੰਤ ਪਰਾਈ ਚੁਖਾ ॥(SGGS jeeo-588)

The GurSikhs are good Saints, who care for nothing other than the Lord.

ਉਹ ਗੁਰਸਿੱਖ ਚੰਗੇ ਸੰਤ ਹਨ ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੇ(ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ)ਹੋਰ ਕਿਸੇ ਦੀ ਰਤਾ ਭੀ ਆਸ ਨਹੀਂ ਰੱਖੀ

Throwing around the word Sant and attaching it to every person that has more knowledge than another is very misleading. A Sant's knowledge and jeevan stand on their own and don't need to be compared to another. But another issue that is rising now is that pseudo Sikhs that have a chemistry, physics, business, etc PHD are claiming to be Sikh Scholars. They attach Dr., Prof, etc to their names and make it look as if they are a Sants as well. Infact these individuals believe they are much higher than a Sant on their jeevan and understanding of Sikhi. We say a lot of these pseudo doctors and professors arise with their ignorant knowledge on Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji Maharaj and they had a huge influence in swaying people in not believe in Guru Sahib Bani.