Sikh Council (Uk) - Launch On 11 December

ii) if those affiliated member organisations collectively have an appetite to tackle such issues (if organisations that want such issues to be tackled choose not to affiliate they are giving an opportunity to those that wish to avoid such issues from being addressed by the SCUK)

With all due respect. What's "appetite" got to do with it? Gurmat is Gurmat and the SCUK need to base their asool and affiliations on Gurmat and not just building a membership list with anyone who walks through the door.

agree with comments made by Satkaar. there's a lack of transparency particularly in larger GuruGhars, tv, radio channels, media, jathebandhis and other organisations reliant on Sangat's donations but not run according to their wishes. these have all failed our community over past decade yet the solution is to unify them into one collective unit which is even less accountable?

is this council not a collection of the most corrupt nefarious elements in our community?

no doubt i'm sure you'll take on a few youngsters and women to do the paperwork :)

Individual GuruGhars, tv, radio channels, media, jathebandhis etc. need to be individually accountable or should not be supported by the Sangat. I can only speak for the Sikh Federation (UK) since it was set up in September 2003. The way the SCUK is being set up should ensure much greater openness and accountability. Give it a chance rather than criticise before it is even set up and working . . .

Individual GuruGhars, tv, radio channels, media, jathebandhis etc. need to be individually accountable or should not be supported by the Sangat. I can only speak for the Sikh Federation (UK) since it was set up in September 2003. The way the SCUK is being set up should ensure much greater openness and accountability. Give it a chance rather than criticise before it is even set up and working . . .

i've supported in many of these organisations and seen how each is run before taking a stance. difference is i realise when the time is up and a fresh start is needed. in order to plant something new, you have to clear out the weeds and the dead wood lest they ruin the next crop.

same way if this organisation is going to be full of these CORRUPT individuals who have failed us with their dodgy dealings in media, jathey, gurughars, politics etc over past 2 decades then this will go the same way.

The UK needs a collective and pro-active Sikh Youth Federation which will tackle issues relating to the youth and the panth in their own (logical and straightforward) manner, their's no point being a small voice amongst a group of ego's which the Sikh Council will no doubt be. The youth need to take responsibility for their future and that of the next generations.

As sikhlionz said "is this council not a collection of the most corrupt nefarious elements in our community?"

It's these same pardhaans who have stood in the way of progress in the past, whom are now being brought together one a single platform, is this really going to help us.

Become a part of it and make changes rather than staying aside and wait for the magic to happen. Agreed that there are many or some bad qualities in everyone and agreed that some of us can't even think of joining hands with them but however it is not their fault.. having a HUGE lack of proper *sikhi* education in our community and nobody taking any initiatives in that direction, i think we need to start someplace where we won't feel comfortable.. Join them and bring changes.. If you get pulled down, try it again & again.. i think the only possible outcome is when a group of positive mindset ppl join any org/council then only we will be able to bring the change.. Educating others in friendly manner brings more closer to positive community instead of forcing rules and codes on em..

There are lot of hue and cry that they should allow YOUTH to come forward etc..well in my experience youth are never to be seen in reality when there is need for them....

I am not speaking on behalf of the new upcoming council nor i know any of them but my point is that we need to have TO DO attitude rather than sitting criticizing others. Compromise is very much needed in this world in order to get something done.. without it, its just impossible to do anything in our kaum as we are left few decades behind in almost every major field..

Compromise is very much needed in this world in order to get something done.. without it, its just impossible to do anything in our kaum as we are left few decades behind in almost every major field..

Depends what gets Compromised and how much middle ground gets created for Compromise. Someone above mentioned Gurmat, in most cases we cannot compromise on Gurmat principles and concerns that this council is already compromising by allowing committees who abuse the golak to take a lead.

I see this Council as nothing more than a re-brand of what already exists out there at the moment, same item different packaging with almost predictable personalities pushing themselves forward and being selected to lead it. These personalities are highly unlikely to sit on the backbench and let fresh thinkers take the lead. So all we will end up with is the same personalities that stifled any progression in the last 20 years, but this time they will be under one committee.

Just like the Gurdwara Prabhandak committee structure, putting a token youth or woman in there just to show equality will not change anything. The strings are always pulled by the same people. From my own experiences unless you have a majority of like minded innovative principled Gursikhs leading, one or two strong candidates will struggle to make any valuable changes.

Sikhs have lost the scope for personal development, we have not shaped our youth or women into leaders because the elders have not been willing to give up their authority. Not only do we have a generation gap, but a cultural gap, a gender gap and an educational gap in our leadership. Unless they are willing to now step down and promote new personalities forward I fail to see what this Council will provide but a repeat of the last 20 years.

So much negativity, then we think why are we not succeeding. I too may be a bit 'nervy' about this council, but we need to give it a chance. I do not support Mahatami Ghandi, indeed i think he betrayed the Sikhs, but there is one of his quotes that is used a lot by Westerners, that i think is relevant here:

''You must be the change you want to see in the world''

So get involved.

From what i saw on the Sikh Channel and Sangat TV over the weekend, we do seem to have some Sikh professional involved.

I think it sounds like an amazing idea and no doubt it has not been an easy thing at all to get it to this stage. So my thanks to everyone invloved.

This just sounds like a great way for all Gurdwards & Jathabandia to come together and unite with our common goals, interests and future and actually work together to make a difference, rather than bickering about our small differences.

So for all those criticising - no offence but don't just talk the talk, walk the walk too... It is all good and well saying it will only be same faces there or the same sort of work done in the past HOWEVER if you will not get up and get involved, then don't talk anything about those countless sevadaar who do see it as their duty to do panthic work and take their time out and do so.

there's a lack of transparency particularly in larger GuruGhars, tv, radio channels, media, jathebandhis and other organisations reliant on Sangat's donations but not run according to their wishes. these have all failed our community over past decade yet the solution is to unify them into one collective unit which is even less accountable?

is this council not a collection of the most corrupt nefarious elements in our community?

It may be unless we get on board and show them how to do it. failing that, it is best to keep quiet, and let those who are prepared to get off their butts and work for progress, try instead. The council is going ahead.

Sikhs have lost the scope for personal development, we have not shaped our youth or women into leaders because the elders have not been willing to give up their authority. Not only do we have a generation gap, but a cultural gap, a gender gap and an educational gap in our leadership. Unless they are willing to now step down and promote new personalities forward I fail to see what this Council will provide but a repeat of the last 20 years.

Why cant we shape ourself? The elders ceratinly have failed the youths, but thats no reason for the youths to wait for the green light from elders, before they start doing anything themselves. The Youths are as much to blame as the elders, cos a lot of todays youths are poossys, especially when it comes to sewa, or new intitiatives, in gurdwaras. most of these poossys just use the lame excuse that the elders wont let us etc, and walk off. This attitude of the youths is just as bad, as the short-sightedness of the elders. There are many things that Sikh youths cvould be doing in gurdwaras. If you need help on what you can do, you can contact me.