Gurdwara Phardaan. Should They Be Of Full Sikh Apperance.

hardavlanda

WJKWJF. There has recently been alot of discussion about sejh thari and Trimmed beards sikhs wanting to become pardhaan of our Gurdwara. Thankfully the majority of the sangaat agreed that the Pardhaan is the first point of representation of our Gurdwara and should be a representative of the sikh faith so as apperances are important he must be of full sikh apperance. NO CUT HAIR OR TRIMMED BEARD. What do other people of the Sikh Sangat think about this?.

What does the Sri Akhal Thakhet Sandesh think about this?.

We Should be promoting Sikhi. If a person who has no Sikhi values can become the forefront position of a Gurdwara than all sikhi values will be lost.

I feel that all Gurwaras should stick together and only give principle positions within the paqrbandakh committe to members who can promote sikhi by portraying a Full Sikhi Saroop.

If shej thari and beard trimmers feel they are being discriminated again than there is nothing stopping them growing their kesh and tying a dastar and becoming Pardhaan. Doing this is a minute scarafice compared to the Scarafices our Gurus made for OUR Sikh.

This is one position in our community that demands a full Sikh be in place. If the first point of contact at a Gurdwara is a 'relaxed' Sikh, that doesn't reflect well on the religion and the local community belonging to that religion. Although I always come back to the fact that I hope the Pardhaan is a full Sikh within himself as well as externally. But yes, this should be a given that Gursikh's should be the Pardhaan of a Gurdwara.

yes because pardhans of our gurudwara aren't thats why no one talks about taking amrit ever not even on vaisakhi day and no one does ardaas for shaheeds even on 6th June.. we have to get their permission if we cant have sikhi posters in our gurudwara (i mean to get people to do paath) when people were doing chaupai sahib paaths i taped posters everywhere before langar went downstairs came back upstairs and people told me that they saw gurudwara secretary take them down..

then i put them up again and he took them down again.. then i made a lot of cds and wrote about chaupai sahib paaths on the cover.. :) haha clever me.. but its a pain to have pardhans that don't really care about sikhi.. all they care about is getting enough donations so they could finally have a party hall that they could rent out and make gurudwara into a hang out place.. .because thats what they said in announcements..they were like.. ahh.. sangat ji donate so we could make this gurudwara into a community place... since we are getting old we need a place where we could get together and do things together o yeah. and then the map of how they want the gurudwara had party hall in it... sadly people were like yeah.. good they are making gurudwara bigger and me and few other people were against it..

i know everything sounds so negative but its a pain to see all this happen..

People please.. dont donate your dasvand to your local gurudwara if it has enough already.. give to the shaheed families in india someone mentioned khalsa aid... (dont start yelling) if you dont like khalsa aid.. then tell jathebandis that you like to organize something that would help out them because they are our jumevari...

or pingalwara is a good organization too.. help there..

Stop giving money for party halls that are only gona lead to further beadbi..!!

Totally agree brother... Our Sikhi is used as cover up to benefit those who think their in a position of power against the sangat who voted them in. Pardans here me know we elect you to run the daily routine and manage the gurdawara so it's ready for us the sangat don't forget ur also the sangat don't exploit our trust in u don't exploit Sikhi. Don't laugh and sneer when u hear about another local gurdawara being run badly instead name and shame them gather and protest at the wrong doing. We need more true bloods not just big mouths we need groups who are ready by the door when required to protect our gods house. I am r all u ?

People please.. dont donate your dasvand to your local gurudwara if it has enough already.. give to the shaheed families in india someone mentioned khalsa aid... (dont start yelling) if you dont like khalsa aid.. then tell jathebandis that you like to organize something that would help out them because they are our jumevari...

or pingalwara is a good organization too.. help there..

Stop giving money for party halls that are only gona lead to further beadbi..!!

Good on ya Bro. I really like your thinking. Spread these views around the sangat, and this will make the committee think. I went thru this similiar thing, and it has been over a year since i put any money in the gurdawara golak. i just save it for the youths who do parchaar in our village in panjab.

Dont give money to anti-gurmat people. we have to make a stand.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it not the case that the Pardhaan is effectively the 'executive chairman' of the gurdwara committee and the Granthi is the spritual head.

If this is the case, then I don't see that it is important that the Pardhaan should be of full sikhi saroop.

If you want to look at that way then your completely mistaken. Have you taken a look at Harmandar Sahib and Sri Akal Takht Sahib. Also have you explored the miri and piri of the Khalsa Panth? Sikhi base for any leader is spiritual and then Soldier. The soldier part applies to stroke of the pen and the carrying of weapons. The pardhaan has to carry both aspects along with the Granthi. Inorder for a pardhaan to run the Gurdwara according to Sikhi, he has to know the spiritual side and have the saroop of Guru Sahib. No person is given a cop out for not adorning the Saroop.

In your western twisted world where hell is the destination, your arguement would be true.

@ onlyfive - The pardhaan should always be a full Sikh, as I've stated earlier in this thread.

However your line "In your western twisted world where hell is the destination, your arguement would be true" is a bit strong. You sound like one of those intolerant Islamic fundamentalists! Would this be the same Western world where a lot of good Sikhs reside? As much as I don't kowtow to any white folk, the western world isn't 'that' bad. Its what the individual makes of it that determines whether its hell or heaven.

@ onlyfive - In your western twisted world where hell is the destination, your argument would be true.

I always find it amusing when people benefiting from all the comforts the West offers (democracy, free education, good healthcare, freedom to worship, good infrastructure, free media) describe it as being twisted.

If they find it so twisted, why don't they move back to the Punjab?

In any case, the Pardhaan is typically elected by the sangat, so the Sangat can make their own judgement on what they believe is important - a full Sikh or a Sikh who has the ability to manage a Gurdwara and promote its role within the local community. A full Sikh may be the best person to do that - or may not be.

All Pardaans should ideally be Amritdhaari and in full Sikhi Saroop, since they should be role models. However, not everything is black and white. At Grays Gurdwara, you had a mona president completely against the party hall and telling the locals not to have the party hall. On the other hand, you had "Amritdharis" who were pushing for the party hall. In this case, I prefer the mona as president, who at least stands for sikhi principles, despite acknowledging his own personal shortcomings.