U.S. Sikhs Flying Issues?

Singh559

Well I'm going to NY over winter break and was informed that there have been major tsa changes, it hadn't really bothered me up until recently. Has any U.S. sikhs flown after the initiation of these new pat downs and searches of the dastaar?

sad.gif

This is the most information I received from an email from the Sikh Coalition.

Please Report Your Travel Experience

In order to help us do our job defending Sikh rights, we ask you to take five minutes this weekend to

report your travel experience to us. We will use this information to show the impact of TSA policies on the Sikh American public.

What to Expect at the Airport This Weekend

Air travel checkpoints in the United States employ different screening technologies. While most checkpoints only have metal detectors, many airports are now installing Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) machines. AIT machines are new whole body imaging devices that will be installed in every airport in the United States over the coming years.

According to the TSA, regardless of whether a Sikh clears the metal detector or the new AIT machines, they will still have to go through an additional procedure in which their turban will be checked for non-metallic items. During this second screening procedure, a Sikh will have a choice of either:

1. a pat-down of their turban by a TSA screener;

2. patting down their own turban and having their hand swabbed for traces of chemical explosives; or

3. requesting a private screening (in a room outside of public view) of their turban.

In addition, after this extra screening of the turban, a third screening procedure (under TSA screening policies) will subject Sikhs to a metal detecting wand that will be scanned over the turban.

If a Sikh traveler opts out of the AIT screening, they will immediately be subjected to a full body (rigorous) pat-down by a TSA official plus a hand wand screening. If you are asked to undergo a full-body pat down, you have the right to ask for this screening to occur in a private room or other setting away from the rest of the traveling public.

Please remember, that under current procedures, a Sikh can always ask that they pat down their own turban rather than have a screener pat it down. 

Your Engagement Requested

It is only through reporting that we can make the case that the TSA’s search policies are unfair. We once again request you to

report your experience and considering financial supporting our work: www.sikhdonate.org .

Well I'm going to NY over winter break and was informed that there have been major tsa changes, it hadn't really bothered me up until recently. Has any U.S. sikhs flown after the initiation of these new pat downs and searches of the dastaar?

sad.gif

This is the most information I received from an email from the Sikh Coalition.

[/left][/size][/font]

I have travelled several times to the US and you do have the option of "patting down " your own Dastar. The only problem is that they make you stand in a secure see through area until an agent is ready for you. Everyone stares at you as they go by, it makes you very uncomfortable , not nice being stared at as if we are terrorists.

The Sikh Coalition are doing a great job , we should all support them.

I have travelled several times to the US and you do have the option of "patting down " your own Dastar. The only problem is that they make you stand in a secure see through area until an agent is ready for you. Everyone stares at you as they go by, it makes you very uncomfortable , not nice being stared at as if we are terrorists.

And I am austrian and I travelled several times to india, and they stared at me as I would be Hitler.

not 100% true veerji. When I travel in the US, I always ask for a private room to conduct the patdown. Mind you, I don't travel alot, but I can confirm that Miami (MIA) and San Fran (SFO), and a few other smaller airports Buffalo (BUF) etc. have not had a problem with me requesting this. What they do is bring a second agent (as a witness, i guess), and will take you to a second private room, and you can perform the pat down yourself.

not 100% true veerji. When I travel in the US, I always ask for a private room to conduct the patdown. Mind you, I don't travel alot, but I can confirm that Miami (MIA) and San Fran (SFO), and a few other smaller airports Buffalo (BUF) etc. have not had a problem with me requesting this. What they do is bring a second agent (as a witness, i guess), and will take you to a second private room, and you can perform the pat down yourself.

I dont ask for a private room, i run my hands on my Dastar and after 2 mins all done......Why ask for private room for this ?? Dont be be so whimpish, stand tall Singh and show em that they dont intimidate us !

I dont ask for a private room, i run my hands on my Dastar and after 2 mins all done......Why ask for private room for this ?? Dont be be so whimpish, stand tall Singh and show em that they dont intimidate us !

veerji, i apologize if there was any misunderstanding. My asking for a private room to conduct the screening was in no way a "bow-down" to authority, or any indication that I am being intimidated, or being a wimp. It is simply for the reason that you mentioned in your post. I prefer that the screening not be done in full view of the general public, because, as you state, everyone stares at you as they go by, as if we are terrorists.

I don't cause a scene, I don't raise my voice, I don't get upset with the TSA agents, I simply state to them that I will perform the pat-down, but I require a private room for that to take place. No one (other flyers) is the wiser to what is happening.

bhul chuk maaf