Role Of The Giani In Gurdwara

Artmental

Please give me some advice on what your opinion of the qualities a Giani in a Gurdwara should have. Please try not to go for obvious points such as Katha, Vichaar, Santhiyaa etc as these are covered already.

Thank you for your input in this presentation and once complete will be shared with the Cyber sangat

Vaheguru

Not sure if it's relevant but i'd really like it if the Giani was well versed in Panjabi AND English coz not all of the youth understand the full-on "freshy" Panjabi if you get what i mean ...

And it would be nice if the Giani wasn't discriminating in his views to non-AmrithDharees and non-Sikhs (i.e. looking down upon them, not being helpful when asked questions in regards to Sikhee, etc) ...

Good luck if we're hoping a Giani from India will be versed in English as well as Punjabi.

Call me a cynic but the only "role" I've seen a Giani fulfil is obtaining a permanent visa and shipping his family over from the Punjab. Whilst there's nothing wrong with this per se, it's a bit weird when he's never seen again as soon as his family is over here.

The Giani doesn't have to be from India ... there's alot of GurSikhs that have studied Santhia, Gurmat etc from India via Taksaals and MahaPurakhs etc but have been born and brought up in the UK ... they probably fit the role of a Giani more so than one born and brought up in India.

Fair point. But I've never come across a Giani born and raised in the UK (or other countries where Sikhs reside outside of India). They're always from back home. Now either the Gurudwaras don't employ "home-grown" Gianis or none come forward to become a Giani.

There are a couple of "gupt" Gianis that I know of so yeah they do exist but quite rare ... It's something to consider though, it would be nice if such Gianis became more common in the Gurdwara's today ... There's alot of Giaan amongst the Gursikhs in the UK (or non-Indian countries) so it'd be a great factor to share it with the Sangath ...

Good luck if we're hoping a Giani from India will be versed in English as well as Punjabi.

Call me a cynic but the only "role" I've seen a Giani fulfil is obtaining a permanent visa and shipping his family over from the Punjab. Whilst there's nothing wrong with this per se, it's a bit weird when he's never seen again as soon as his family is over here.

How about the so called Pardhans and Committee members who use giani's as their personal slave? I know gianis who were asked to make rotiyans and clean up the gardens by committee members. How do you expect these gianis to stay after they get their visas?

I will post my thoughts on roles of gianis soon.

just to add my two cents...lol.....

Whilst coming into sikhi i have come accross two amazing Granthi Singh's that were from India, I found their sangat to inspiring.........they were a massive stepping stone across my whole journey into Sikhi.......One gaini ji im still very close to, to this day and They were able to perform our laveh when dass got married.......and this Giani knew me as a moni.....and always used to encourage me to comet o gurghar to listento katha in the mornings and would always do amazing vichaar on the daily hukamnama.......this in itself was a massive step to heve dass take amrit because i learned and understood sikhi in a way i was never able to my whole life.....

Second Giani Ji i met whilst i was an amritdhari and they would always encourage us to do rowl the sewa and gurdwara and book slots for us, this not only helped dass read bani better and brought me closer to guruji because so much time was spend at gurughar.......

I guess what im saying is that not all granthis are bad, amongst the dust theres always a few hidden gems and very rarly reveal themselves, I feel truly blessed to have sangat of such pyaeh souls and would reccomend sangat not to label all granthis from India as visa grabbing freshies......

bhul chuck maafi