Sangat?

subeg singh

i just found out that a couple of ma friends smoke, ive been friends with them ever sinc year 7 and now im in year 9, there not realli close friends but i do hang out with them but i know that im not gonna get influance bi them (im amrit dhari) there ok with me t hei hardli eva talk about smoking around me, is it ok if i hang out with them because i feel alittle bit guilti buh i justneed 2 know thats ok....

it's not ok when they are smoking or drinking, even if they don't pressure you. and if you feel even slightly influenced, you should find other sangat. it's probably a good idea to find friends who don't do this kind of stuff. i'm not saying to burn down bridges or anything, but its nice to have friends with shared dharmic values, even if from another dharm, that way you can encourage each other in life and on your dharmic paths.

Gurbani tells us to keep good comany (sangat). However this can be very difficult in terms of family, school friends etc. You're stuck with them at school, I'd say try ad stay as detached from them as possible if it is difficult to keep away from them. Be like a lotus in a pond like it says in gurbani, no matter how low their mindsets and habit are, do not let yourself get soiled, stay pure, float above, keep the guru in mind (keep your mind clear of bad and violent thoughts) and do good deeds and jaap naam as much as you can (naam jaap coupled with good deeds in action and mind offers you the greatest protection.)

Although gurbani says in the company of bad sangat, their dirt (evil mindedness/kaljug) will inevitably rub off on you, it also gives the instructions to remain detached in the midst of the world. If you can do this (with naam and good deeds in mind and action), evil can't rub off on you.