How Does Sikhi Feel About Adoption/ Ivf?

Sukhmanii

"We received 300 applications this year, but only 190 babies came up for adoption,'' says Cicily Baby, Social Worker with Rajagiri-VCA.

sorry, should have added to my post, that childless couples are always given priority to adopt children.

A good few years ago, i inquired about adopting a child, from an orphanage in Jalandhar and it was not well recieved in my near or extended family, including inlaws, but the people at the orphanage said, that we only give children to childless couples, this is the the position of all or most orphanages in india.

I dont know if things have changed recently though.

Thanks for all the replies! :)

I think about IVF because i have that curiosity regarding what my biological child would be like, look like, etc...

As for those who say a child needs both parents, i agree it is better this way. But my mum raised me single handedly while my dad is a drunkard who's knows nothing about me and hasn't been in my life. For more reasons than that, i'm cynical about men and believe that a woman can raise their child perfectly fine on their own.

Thanks for all the replies! :)

I think about IVF because i have that curiosity regarding what my biological child would be like, look like, etc...

As for those who say a child needs both parents, i agree it is better this way. But my mum raised me single handedly while my dad is a drunkard who's knows nothing about me and hasn't been in my life. For more reasons than that, i'm cynical about men and believe that a woman can raise their child perfectly fine on their own.

Whilst I agree with you about a single parent being perfectly capable of raising a chid, to bring a baby into the world - almost cynically - so that there is no father on the scene is quite wrong IMO.

Guest ik keet

vjkk vjkf ji.

penji adoption is a very good idea, sri krishan was "adopted" and yashodha is accepted as his genuine mother... lol im not a sanatan niddar person or a hindu just making a photo..

daas was adopted from an orphanage/adoption center in india, found out last year. to be honest with you i didnt turn out all that bad. i have a good relationship with my mata pita..standard teenage argument but thats fine.. but my parents are both monaay but good human beings.. im very very unworthy but i was blessed with amrit at the end of 2009 (after finding out). think of the odds my birth parents were most likely poor hindus/ my adoptive parents had no interest in sikhiii but maharaj sahib ji did so much kirpa on this paapee and look where i am now. and thats not me being egoistical in the slighest just sharing the kirpa of my satguruu

yeaah there are problems and emotional impacts when the child finds out so i suggest telling them in subtle way from a early age. when i was told i had to supress my emptions and put on a smile hahahaha because i didnt want to give my parents guilt in the slightest. at the point of adoption try finding out about the birth parents.. cuz at times the child will wanna know and can grow an unhealthyy obsession. finally the way i got over it was that maharaj is the true nurturer all other relations are tempremental they are the mother and father..

im sure youll treat them as your own. i know cases where it isnt so happy happy but chalo .

bhullaa chukaa dee maafi

maharaj sahib kirpa karan

• 3 years later...
Guest singh sabha

I'm still only relatively young, but i've been wondering something. I'm a woman, and I don't want to get married in the future but i do want to have a child one day.

What does Sikhi say about adoption and IVF treatment?

it says that you are allowed to get ivf done

At Delhi, Mata Sundari ji adopted a young boy whom she named Ajit Singh because of his resemblance to her own late son, Sahibzada Ajit Singh ji. After the passing away of Guru Gobind Singh ji at Nanded in October 1708, the Sikhs looked up to her for guidance. She appointed Bhai Mani Singh ji to manage the sacred shrines at Amritsar and also commissioned him to collect the writings of Guru Gobind Singh ji. She also issued under her own seal and authority hukamnamas to sangats. The hukamnamas since discovered and published bear dates between 12 October 1717 and 10 August 1730.

Mata Sundari ji was disappointed in her adopted son, Ajit Singh. Emperor Bahadur Shah treated him as the successor of Guru Gobind Singh ji, called him to his court and gave him a robe of honour in September 1710. This went to his head and he started living in style as a courtier. He grew arrogant and haughty even towards Mata Sundari who disowned him, and migrated to Mathura.

Ajit Singh was later convicted for murder and was put to death on 18 January 1725. Mata Sundari ji returned to live in Delhi where she, died in 1747. A memorial in her honour stands in the compound of Gurdwara Bala Sahib, New Delhi.

At the time of adoption Guru Gobind Singh Sahib G also refused.

So adoption might not b a gud idea!!!!!!

Plz forgive for any mistake

Waheguru g ka khalsa,

waheguru g ki fateh

This is the exception not the rule,

• 1 year later...

I don't know if this helps, my wife and I, both Sikhs, adopted two siblings born from Sikh parents. We already had children, but I always wanted to adopt even before I got married. GuruJi granted me a wife who shared my feelings.

As to raising a child not of Sikh descent, we found it easier for the children to be accepted without feeling alienated by a strange culture if ey were of the same race culture and faith. BUT, if a child of another faith had been offered, I would not have had a problem with ensuring that the faith of the natural parents be followed, and if necessary for me to find someone of that faith to ensure that their religious schooling did not go adrift. Obviously they would still be brought up with an understanding and regard of our faith, but In our religion, all religions are good and lead to GuruJi

Guest Jacfsing2

but In our religion, all religions are good and lead to GuruJi

I disagree with this view; however you're basic views on adoption do lead to some things.

If you are doing good for another, then you are doing right. The Gurus taught living the life of a householder is best so obviously if you can get married then try and do that.

Even if it doesn't work out, there is always divorce, but you'll never know if you don't try. Many couples marriages last for many years, and a loving relationship is divine.