Why Are Religions Like Budhism And Jainism More Famous Then Sikhism

The one thing that pleases me a lot about the reaction to Sikhi is that its not referred to as a sect of Hinduism (by any non-Sikhs that I've met). I think that speaks volumes about the separate identity and beliefs that have been forged and cultivated, during the many hundred years of the existence of our faith. Despite the efforts of certain groups to assimilate us into their faith, I can't see such a day ever dawning.

I honestly have never encountered anyone who has asked me what faith I am, and then said "Is that like a Hindu?".

More or less everyone knows what a typical sikh looks like, we have the 'stereotypical Turban' image to many.

So everyone has seen a sikh portrayal of a sikh as hindus etc don;t really wear turbans anymore, it's more a sikh practice.

Not everyone has seen a jain or buddhist. (Although budhists are more common).

If they delved deeper into the meaning of the image/ turban they'd understand more, it's their choice.

Hard to get the message out when every little thing is considered 'beadbi', Sikh animation could have been a remarkable tool for getting the historical knowledge of the religion out to a mass audience, instead the idea was tossed aside and was considered disrespectful.

To a certain extent I agree with you about utilising animation as a form of education, but wouldn't you find it a bit weird to have an actor voicing the part of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, for example? Personally I'd find that very uncomfortable. I can't put into words 'why' in a convincing or logical manner, but its something I've always assumed should never be done. Unless I'm being too sensitive?

@ sumat - Your pathetic PM has been forwarded to a mod. There's a reason why you're in the 'Quality Control' section. You must be an absolute cretin. Reading through your post history, you have a habit of misunderstanding even the most simplest points. Embarrassing.

WJKK WJKF

What are the chances - none , as time and time over we are our own worst enemy!!!!

Here's a prime example:

The new Sikh school in Norwood for under 16's , one of the staff sixty year old woman put up a christmas tree recently in the foyer -- no where near the SGGS or any room belonging to it in the building....she was threatned by the Respect for SGSS campaign guys to remove the tree or face protests. A sixty year old woman was given threats from as far as wolverhampton to remove the tree!!!!! This is how great we are, just imagine the BBC - media getting hold of that , what are we protraying, are we talibans ???!!! Will SIkhe ever grow with this sort of attitude??

No bashing please I agree there must be full respect of SGGS but the above is shocking!!

Will SIkhe ever grow with this sort of attitude??

I don't know. We do seem to have a lot of angry, knee j-erk reactionary types. Carefully considered, balanced and appropriately moderated reactions don't seem to be our thing?

We engage with raw emotion more than intellect as a norm. Fools go into angry mode too soon. How can anyone make a right decision in that frame of mind? Sure, if we were physically under threat, then people may have a case that we need hot head, physical types. But when it comes to theological arguments, that just doesn't run in the western world without playing up to the savage, backward, fanatic, third world cavemen stereotype that stems from Darwinian theory.

If they knew of the pagan significance of the christmas tree then I don't blame them. Either way it can only be a good thing, the Christmas tree tradition isn't christian, it's pagan. Perhaps Waheguru ordered this. How does anyone know anything. Only He knows.

WJKK WJKF

What are the chances - none , as time and time over we are our own worst enemy!!!!

Here's a prime example:

The new Sikh school in Norwood for under 16's , one of the staff sixty year old woman put up a christmas tree recently in the foyer -- no where near the SGGS or any room belonging to it in the building....she was threatned by the Respect for SGSS campaign guys to remove the tree or face protests. A sixty year old woman was given threats from as far as wolverhampton to remove the tree!!!!! This is how great we are, just imagine the BBC - media getting hold of that , what are we protraying, are we talibans ???!!! Will SIkhe ever grow with this sort of attitude??

No bashing please I agree there must be full respect of SGGS but the above is shocking!!

If they knew of the pagan significance of the christmas tree then I don't blame them. Either way it can only be a good thing, the Christmas tree tradition isn't christian, it's pagan. Perhaps Waheguru ordered this. How does anyone know anything. Only He knows.

The origins of the tree maybe pagan i dont know. Significance to christmas tree is the saxon tradition albert bought along with him. When he married queen victoria he bought this german tradition with him. Cos the royal family had a tree, so the general public copied them, same with xmas cards, as it was a trend at the time. Uk at the time was most powerful country the tradition caught on and spread all over.

Personally i feel there was nothing wrong with putting up the tree. Correct me if im wrong but where is the beadbi? Things like this contradict the image of sikhi being tolerant of other faiths. Seeing all free to practice their believes. I know xmas tree has no significant religous connection but it is widely accepted as being associated with the christaian festival. Put the shoe on the other foot, would we like it if christains banned us from doing lets say for example a nagar kirtan in the vacnity of a church? I mean it is not compulsory to conduct a nagar kirtan is it no it as a tradition to show respect and love for sikhi.

Do we really want our host country to think we are intolerent like other faiths no names mentioned, but they usually kick up a fuss about things like this but expect all their needs to be met. No wonder they have a bad press image. Do sikhs want the same rep? I mean we already get mistaken by ignorent people as people of that faith.

@ topic starter.

if u are talking abt. india then i do not agree with u. sikhism is more popular in india than budhism or jainism. acc. to 2001 census there are 19.2 million sikhs in india whereas buddhists are just 7.6 million & jains 4.4 million.

& if u are talking abt world then i would say yes budhism is more popular bcoz there are over 400 million of them as compare to 19.2 mn sikhs.

It does not matter how many SIkh members there are, what matters is how many GurSikhs there are within the panth. Right now everyone should just focus on her or his own jeev and that's all there is to it.

The number of Sikhs in India may be 19.2 million, but the majority of them consider them self a Sikh of a specific baba or are in some cult (dera). Focus on your GurSIkhi life and try to improve yourselves and others will follow, if a time comes when we really unify the Khalsa, others will follow the Khalsa and bring actual peace on Earth.

Waheguru