Caste Discrimination

paman

Discrimination on the grounds of caste exists in the UK, research suggests.

The study, by the National Institute of Economic and Social Research, found evidence of harassment in the workplace, in the provision of services and in education.

The government will now consider the evidence to determine whether there is a serious enough problem to impose a legal ban on caste discrimination.

The prejudice affects members of the mainly Hindu and Sikh communities.

A person's caste is their historic social standing and often refers to their forefathers' occupation.

Bullying Someone who works with animal products or in domestic services is often regarded as being of a lower caste than someone who is a landowner or priest.

A person's surname identifies what caste they come from which can then lead to bullying.

Hindu campaigners have long argued that members of the lower caste - referred to as Dalits or "untouchables" - suffer unfair treatment at the hands of higher caste members, even in second generation UK Asian communities.

Continue reading the main story

“Start Quote

I have a customer, who is from a higher caste than me and she refuses to make any physical contact with me”

End Quote Reena Jaisiah Reena Jaisiah, 30, from Coventry, said she had been the victim of harassment throughout her whole life because she was of a lower caste.

"It started when I was at school, I experienced bullying and name calling," she said.

''It really affected my self-esteem and made me feel low and inferior."

Reena runs a family newsagents in Coventry and said the harassment continues now.

''I have a customer, who is from a higher caste than me and she refuses to make any physical contact with me.

"She will never taken any change from me because she doesn't want to touch me. This is a shocking practice of caste prejudice in this country,'' she said.

Caste discrimination has not been explicitly covered by British legislation before and ministers have previously said they did not think it was a problem in the workplace.

The report, which is due to be published this week, was commissioned by the Government Equalities Office after an amendment to the Equality Act 2010.

The findings of the report now pave the way to outlaw discrimination on grounds of caste and Home Secretary Teresa May will make the final decision which is expected early next year

Under the present European Human Rights Law, can a Gurdwara Committee to be successfully taken court if they operate a selection of their members from a caste only and discriminate against an indvidual based on caste? Or is this something for the Charity Commission to review only?

There's a few dozen Ramgharia, Bhatra and Chamar Gurdwaras in Britain who most definately hope that isn't the case. Otherwise they're gonna find themselves at the wrong end of the law :cool:

And herein lies the crux of the issue here re ; this new caste discrimination bill. It is ironic that while, in the interviews the cast study has done with 'sikhs', the talk is about verbal heresay regarding discrimination from Jatt Sikhs. However, in practice, the people that Caste Discrimination Act will come down hard against are those same groups alleging discrimination. i.e the Ramgharias, the Bhatras and the Chamars for it is them that are excluding persons of other 'castes' while at the same time setting themselves up as registered charities and applying for and getting funds from the public purse.

Hoorah for the Caste Discrimination Bill I say. Hoorah. Long overdue. :D

Its not caste but color discrimination that exists in west. Blacks V/s Asians v/s Whites.

There is groupism there also. Some areas are dominated by asians like Edison in US, Southall in UK etc.

Some areas are dominated by blacks. Thats the way it goes.