I Don'T Know How To Pray...

Guest Hello

Let me say that i'm beginning to get into Sikhi, and so to be able to do paath like Jaap ji sahib etc i'd need to learn it and learn the translations first, and also learn how to FEEL the words.

Keeping that in mind, i pray in English. I can do mool mantar but and i know what it means, but i feel nothing when i say it so what's the point of repeating it? I don't know how to talk to God anymore. I feel completely disconnected. When i start to talk, i just stop, because i feel nothing... i don't feel like i'm being listened to anymore.

Half a year ago, i told a lie and messed up my life. Everything was ruined by my one decision. Since then it's been a painful process of getting my life back together and trying to be happy, but i'm not. I've learnt never to lie like that again. But since then, i haven't been able to do paath properly. I still believe in God, but when i go to pray, no matter how hard i try i don't feel any connection. I just feel like i want to cry, and when i do i end up crying myself to sleep instead of praying. I feel so lost without that connection and love i felt i once had.

I don't know what to do...

This Shabad is by Bhagat Kabeer Ji in Raag Aasaa on Pannaa 484

Awsw ]

aasaa ||

Aasaa:

krvqu Blw n krvt qyrI ]

karavath bhalaa n karavatt thaeree ||

I would rather be cut apart by a saw, than have You turn Your back on me.

lwgu gly sunu ibnqI myrI ]1]

laag galae sun binathee maeree ||1||

Hug me close, and listen to my prayer. ||1||

hau vwrI muKu Pyir ipAwry ]

ho vaaree mukh faer piaarae ||

I am a sacrifice to You - please, turn Your face to me, O Beloved Lord.

krvtu dy mo kau kwhy kau mwry ]1] rhwau ]

karavatt dhae mo ko kaahae ko maarae ||1|| rehaao ||

Why have You turned Your back to me? Why have You killed me? ||1||Pause||

jau qnu cIrih AMgu n morau ]

jo than cheerehi a(n)g n moro ||

Even if You cut my body apart, I shall not pull my limbs away from You.

ipMfu prY qau pRIiq n qorau ]2]

pi(n)dd parai tho preeth n thoro ||2||

Even if my body falls, I shall not break my bonds of love with You. ||2||

hm qum bIcu BieE nhI koeI ]

ham thum beech bhaeiou nehee koee ||

Between You and I, there is no other.

qumih su kMq nwir hm soeI ]3]

thumehi s ka(n)th naar ham soee ||3||

You are the Husband Lord, and I am the soul-bride. ||3||

khqu kbIru sunhu ry loeI ]

kehath kabeer sunahu rae loee ||

Says Kabeer, listen, O people:

Ab qumrI prqIiq n hoeI ]4]2]35]

ab thumaree paratheeth n hoee ||4||2||35||

now, I place no reliance in you. ||4||2||35||

Listen to this it helps me a lot and i will help you as well :D

http://gurukhoj.com/SBNS3_MOA.html

free book - read it

Topics addressed include:

• Ardaas and Naam
  • Ardaas and Gurmat
  • Ardaas and Sadh Sangat
  • Pointers for a Successful Ardaas
  • Qualities Required for an Ardaas
  • Language & Sentiments in Ardaas
  • Congregational Prayer
  • The Impossible Becomes Possible
  • Ardaas and Devotion
  • Suitable Time for Ardaas
  • Best Place for Ardaas
  • How to Beg in Ardaas
  • Ardaas and Naam Nivaas

About the Book:

Ardaas is the master key for success. It can help us solve problems and overcome difficulties of all nature; worldly or spiritual.

What is this key? How can we harness the power of this key? What pearls and gems can we find inside the treasure-chest opened with this key? What is this treasure-chest?

This book tries to answer the above questions and provides a guide on how to correctly do the basic thing (Ardaas) we have always been doing whenever we want something from God.

Knowingly or unknowingly, we are all looking for ..the miracle of Ardaas.

Quotations from the Book:

We do Ardaas in times of sorrow as a cry to Guru Ji to rid our suffering. Ardaas done in happier times is a show of our gratitude to the Lord.

God resides in the pure, deep recesses within our soul. In order to get whatever we desire, the secret of a successful Ardaas is to go into the depths of our soul as per the guidance of Guru Ji.

The letters on a seal are carved upsidedown but appear right-side up when stamped. Likewise, when we bow before Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, the bad actions written on our forehead will be erased and replaced by good actions.

Although all times are auspicious for Ardaas, the experiences of highly spiritual souls recommend that out of the 24 hrs of a day, there is one time slot, known as AMRITWELA, which is especially auspicious. A cry done during these ambrosial hours is heard faster in God's Court.

listen to keertan, for many it is very hard to connect to bani as it is, but when you have it in keertan format it helps bring out the emotion of it. while listening, just read translations, its a slow process but eventually you will be joined to gurbani, everyone starts here. I didnt used to understand, but what I did was go to a lot of rainsabais and read the translation screens, eventually words started beign more and more familiar and now i can understand at least the jist of most shabads. also, read one random shabad a day at sikhitothemax.com (Click random shabad button) read both the translation and original gurmukhi, so that links start forming between words and their meanings.

do ardaas that you can pray to vaheguru, and do ardas to be able to understand and connect to bani. (Doing ardas is a must!!)

but my guess is you should try to connect through keertan, and simran being sung, and just read what it means while you listen.

especially akj style keertan.

for example,

media.sikhsoul.com/audio/Gurbani%20Keertan/Akhand%20Keertan

/Bhai%20Harpreet%20Singh/Bhai%20Harpreet%20Singh%20-%20raamaa%20mai%20saadhhoo%20charan%20dhhuveejai.mp3 (copy paste into ur browser)

translation: http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=4829

and also

media.sikhsoul.com/audio/Gurbani%20Keertan/Akhand%20Keertan/Bhai%20Harpreet%20Singh/Bhai%20Harpreet%20Singh%20-%20Nikas%20Ray%20Pankhee%20Simar%20Har%20Paankh.mp3

translation: http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=640

please listen to them and read :) try and sing along if/when u start feeling a connection and the emotion comes from u, eg. start off by singing with the simran if it helps u.

do darshan of Sri Satguru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj as much as possible (ie gurdwara sahib or anywhere else where there is parkash) you may not feel anything but your soul will take up the vibes, it will do immense good for you even without realising. Similarily find sangat of gurmukhs, when doing ardas like has been said, make sure you ask for sangat of guru maharaj and gurmukhs aswell. They can be found at places like rainsabais, also in summer it wud be a good idea to attend khalsa camp (www.khalsacamp.com)

also watch this

and the rest of the videos by bhai surjit singh ji on this account

basically, if you hear the requests and grattitude that you make to guru ji in you own mind, then god can hear it. for ardass you need a focused mind, and sharda that Guru ji will grant your request. think of the request as already granted when you ask for it. Name the guru in your mind, as that is who you are doing benti to. additionally, sometimes guru doesn't give us what we want, in those times we should think that either there is some sort of lesson etc we need to learn and learn it; or we should be grateful that guru ji saved us from something that might have causeed us harm. sometimes we just need to do more kamai to get something. nishkaam kamai is always best.

• 1 year later...
Guest Jasraj Singh

But how do you do naam simran? Some people recite naam while doing a specific combinaton of inhales and exhales. Or are you supossed to close your eyes and focus on the center point of the forehead?