Sikh Community Jointly Condemns English Defence League

Guest Gupt

The national front NF now knwn as the BNP rioted in Southall not the EDL it did not exist during those times and had nothing to do with it ,neither did the leadership of EDL,half of whom were not even born.

No, the NF 'held a meeting' in Southall Town Hall. It was our grandparents, uncles and aunties that took to the streets in protest and 'rioted'...i.e fought running street battles with the police. The NF, who each had 20 officers protecting each member, walked into the town hall and like scared little rabbits tip-toed out. Tip-toing to a waiting police protection bus is not by any definition the way to conduct a 'riot'.

If it's 2 years later,in 1981, you're referring to, than it wasn't the NF or the BNP. It was Combat 18 and the skinhead movement. They rioted in Southall. The young Sikhs of Southall fought back and effectively killed off the skinhead movement in the land of it's birth. After the Sikhs of Southall finished off the skinhead movement in England, the movement moved to places such as America and Australia.

As for the EDL. Let's face it, it's about national identity more than anything else. At the end of the day although we are described as 'British' the Sikh community in this country is overwhelmingly 'English' with a proud 'English' identity. Yes there are racist supporters within the EDL. But then again there are also racist supporters of the Labour Party, the Conservative Party and the local gym. That doesn't mean we can't join or support those organisations just because there are some racists among them.

Personally, I don't support the EDL but I wholeheartedly respect the right and understand the reason why some Sikhs do.

Why, Dal Singh ? Do you subscribe to the 'bollywood' version of Sikhs.....one where we Sikhs are just 2 dimensional non-thinking thicko's ?

Do you think it is beyond the thinking capability of a 2nd and 3rd England born Sikh to feel aggrieved that his taxes are paying for irrelevant Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland ? While you applaud proud Canadian and American sikhs do you draw the line at Sikhs feeling proud of their national 'English' identity ?

So....lets throw your question back at you......Seeing as you support the Indian ideal that Sikhs do not have the mental capability to think for themselves and think politics, are YOU for real ?

You need to straighten your head out - and real quick too.

:D Not as quick a you need to improve your reading skills before getting your pants in a twist Dal Singh. I mean, 4 messages backj when I said

Personally, I don't support the EDL

Which part of "personally, I don't support the EDL" did you not understand ? It's a relatively short sentence with only 6 words. And one of those words only has one letter. :wacko:

Look, as for the Sikhs that do support the EDL (and there are many that do), you need to straighten your head...and real quick too....and respect the right of other Sikhs to have their own views regarding politics in this country. As I said before the politics of the EDL may be manifesting itself with obscene anti-muslim rhetoric (the reason I don't support them) but the underlying grassroots feeling among the growing number of EDL sympathisers reveals a growing pro-English movement in this country. A feeling that survey after survey in this country has revealed to be strongest and most patriotic amongst the Sikh community in this country. Lets just take the university tuition fees as an example. My children will be paying for their education for their whole lives whilst my taxes ensure that the Scottish and Welsh children get it for free. With everything thats been happening in this country regarding devolution etc...it was only a matter of time that a league such as the English Defence League sprang up.

And lastly Sarabha Punjab (message23) edl-on-train-intimidate-woman.jpg

Woah, proper scary stuff man. masks and everything! I can only just see their eyes.

Yeah. And the men behind her look pretty scary too. ;)

UPDATE: 06/01/2011

Lakhbir Singh, Labour Councillor (former Mayor of Luton), Luton, signs the joint statement condemning the English Defence League (EDL) & British National Party (BNP).

Worth noting that Lakhbir Singh was a victim of a physical racial attack by EDL supporters.

Full statement can be read at:

http://www.turbancam...tement-release/

To support the statement please email movement@turbancampaign.com.