Whats Your Favourite Sikh Tv Channel?

Khalasthan86

29 members have voted

1. 1. Whats Your Favourite Sikh TV Channel?

• Sangat TV
    • Sikh Channel
    • Sikh TV

Sangat tv love it great vichaar Sikh channel not so bad had issues in the start but the new channels clearly show u don't need direct debits to help run the channel.

But Sikh Tv I don't know it's more like zee tv does to sikhi vicar at the same time its interviewing people with Xmas trees in the back. It even had sOme bibia dancing didn't really no wat they was dancing to or about changed the channel with disgust

Never thought I'd say this a few months back but my vote goes to Sikh Channel. It's the only channel with the ability to produce topical programmes on current issues.

I think several months down the line, I don't think Sangat TV will be as topical as Sikh Channel. However, Sangat TV has a fairly good content of recorded programmes, even though it is repetitive.

Sikh TV seem confused on what they should broadcast and the other day I saw the "mahan" Bhangra superstar Shin being interviewed about his latest album and Shin was promoting a song about sharab..At least Davy Bal keeps the manmat in the Brit Asia Channel seperate from the Sikh Channel.

i feel that all 3 channels have created their own niche and am very greatful that i have the option of choice between the 3.

i must however say that i too came across the Shin from DCS interview which had the bhangra dancing as an intro - to be honest, i was quite disgusted at the dancing and switched over straight away - i didn't even wait to see what the discussion was about.

i agree with Pyara Jee that a Sikh TV channel is just that. If channels do feel that they want to cater to punjabi aspect then i'd recommend positive video's such as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcmrq3h8zFw

vidoe's like these will appeal to punjabi's as the singers are famous singers - but the main thing is that without the viewere even knowing, parchaar regarding 1984 other dangers in punjab is being done.

I would broadly agree with Piyara Ji.

Sikh Channel - Only one of the three who seems to have the ability and infrastructure to be able to run Live discussion programmes. This is very important as when news breaks it is important that views are aired quickly and infomation disseminated to the general public in a timely manner so all are informed.

Panth-time is also very important and I would hope that all the places that have hosted Panth time carry on with these sangat get-togethers as it is important that grass roots people can air their views and grievenses, it also empowers people and can bring the sangat closer together if they can see that the gurdwara leaders are actually listening to them. It can also bring the youth into the gurdwaras.

They could improve the Kirtan as we do not have many good ragies doing proper kirtan.

Sangat - It has no live discussions. I think they need to do this however it could be due to logistics or personnel or funds.

Ranjit Singh Ji Dedriawalley kathas are amazing, very inspiring.

Sant Ishar Singh Ji kathas are amazing.

Some great kirtan

Spirit Fest programmes very good, most amazing kirtan.

Last night SikhNet lecture by American Bibi about Guru Gobind Singh Ji and Mata Jito Ji was amazing, need more like this.

Sikh TV - Like the Punjabi alphabet sing song, find myself singing along to it. Some of the CGI programmes are good.

Overall it seems to lack direction and do not have a dictinct feel to it. It needs to ask itself what is it trying to achieve? What are its goals? Who is the channel aimed at ?

I would ask all three channels to promote the distinctness of Sikhi, and dispell myths like Guru Nanak dev Ji was muslin etc with five minute bullit point type programmes, repeated often.

WJKK WJKF

I would like to mention where the all three have failed at present:

1. Sports --- no kabbadi

2. Gatka --- not much just a few flash ones here and there-- how about all the Gatka akharas up and down the country - ?? nothing covered.

3. Wrestling -- Guru Angad Dev encoruaged massively on this support -- loads of contests in Punjab -- nothing covered..

Due to the above I wouldn't be surprised that another Punjabi channel springs up and covers the above and if so it will cover the stuff we don't want such as bhangra and so forth.. Would it not make sense for one of these channels to take this head on very quickly??

4. More issues need be discussed - divorce, drugs and GANGS - most of our teenagers especially in the UK are massively into GANGS - what's being done about it-- any one working on it?

I think all 3 are generally very good. I think sangat TV is my slight favourite however. The quality of the shows really stands out. I particularly like transformations, discovery and the naam simran shows. I must admit, sikh channel has definitely raised its own standards since the arrival of the other 2 sikh channels. I hope all 3 contine to improve. We should always give them our support because they are pioneering and still relatively new in this industry, with time im sure all 3 channels will be well established and appeal to both sikhs and non sikhs.

I think we forgot ZEE-PUNJABI, although I know it is not on FREE-SUBSCRIPTION.

For people on Virgin, now it comes in the £10/- Asian Bundle.

For people on Sky, subscription is a bit costly £10/- just for ZE-PUNJABI and £16/- for all ZEE-Package.

But, the good part is morning from 04:00 - 08:00, it is complete Amrit Ras flowing from Darbaar Sahib, ASR, followed by Gian Da Sagar which is Katha by Maskeen Jee, followed by a New Program (not too new) - Ek Omkar, aired mostly by the Anchor Gurpreet Singh and invitees as Head Granthi's from Gurudwaras across Delhi OR other Sikh historians.

Evening program is equally good with Amrit Ras from Darbaar Sahib from 04:00PM-06:00PM, followed by Studio Keertan.

I have a special inclination towards Keertan from Darbaar Sahib and their Ragis, so that's the reason, I like this the most.