100 Most Influential People - Religion

Guest apnaPunjab

I know it's a cliche, but there is a lot of truth to consider behind it:

How we gonna run a country when we can't even run a Gurdwara with all manner of vikaar going on?

It will take either a monumental shift in the collective psyche of decent, honest and determined Sikhs to 'will' something of this magnitude into fruition, OR it will take the arrival of a special individual who will galavanise and unite all the disparate sections of our faith under one banner. Sadly that one individual was erased from the scene in 1984, and call me cynical but such men aren't born easily and so regularly.

http://www.adherents.../adh_influ.html

Guru Nanak has not been included in the top 100! Why do you think this is?

its all about the numbers, christianity and islam and hinduism have a billion followers/member each sikhs are less than 25 million mostly located in punjab.

incidently, given that every religion believes that theirs is the true path to salvation/one-ness with god, do sikhs generally believe that out of the whole population of the earth only 25 million are following the true path to god and no one else will make it? i assume that they also believe that not all of the 25 million sikhs will make it, after all so many cut their hair/drink/eat meat/steal/have lust/greed/pride/dont wear kara/are promiscious?

it would be interesting to hear your views on this, i am a numbers kind of guy and ive always been facinated by the maths :)

its all about the numbers, christianity and islam and hinduism have a billion followers/member each sikhs are less than 25 million mostly located in punjab.

incidently, given that every religion believes that theirs is the true path to salvation/one-ness with god, do sikhs generally believe that out of the whole population of the earth only 25 million are following the true path to god and no one else will make it? i assume that they also believe that not all of the 25 million sikhs will make it, after all so many cut their hair/drink/eat meat/steal/have lust/greed/pride/dont wear kara/are promiscious?

it would be interesting to hear your views on this, i am a numbers kind of guy and ive always been facinated by the maths :)

i did some reading on this point and my understanding is that as long as someone truly believes in one true god then they are one the right path, that seems to be quite nice compared to some views like "ours is the only path!"

it does however throw up some other questions:

1. hindus believe in lots of god/godesses so are they damned?

2. christians/muslims/jews eat meat/drink/smoke/dont wear turban.cut their hair so how comesikhs have to follow all the rules? is it like a fast track way to heaven/god?

"How can we run our own country when we can't run our own Gurdwaras"?

Because we do not run our Gurdwaras. Everything is influenced and infiltrated by tyrants in delhi.

Those who have spoken the truth, spoken for the benefit of Panjabis have been killed, disappeared or character assassinated.

How did we manage to run our beautiful Panjab during Maharaaja Ranjit singhs rule? When all faiths lived side by side in peace. Where some of Maharaja's highest commanders were Sufi Muslims?

Where Maharaja ranjit singh himself laid the foundations for Masjids and Mandhirs.

When the Khalsa returns to Panjab it will be a beautiful glorious raaj. The charlatans, the massands and the imposters will have have no dehli to support them. they will run for their lives. The Nishan Sahib will fly high, the poor the vulnerable and the men of Daram will sigh with relief.

Shaheed singh's families will be honoured with the greatest possible honours

Khalistan Zindabad

I think the comment on the website re Christians definitely applies to us Sikhs. Therefore perhaps we need to look into our actions and compare those to the actions Guru Sahib required from us.

It is not uncommon for people to wonder why Jesus is not ranked first on this list. As far as the way the list appears on this web page, the answer is simple: We have reproduced Hart's list in exactly the order he wrote it. But it is true that many people, both Christians and secular historians, would have ranked Jesus first on a list of the world's most influential people. Hart said that he himself would have ranked Jesus first, if all the people who today identify themselves as Christians actually followed Jesus's teachings more substantially. He considers contemporary Muslims more influenced by Muhammad than contemporary Christians are by Jesus.

The big problem you have is that the influence of Sikhism is so small to certain parts of the world that many poeple have heard of Sikhs but not actually directly seen our tenants and beliefs for them to be influenced by the teachings of Guru Nanak. We are the unicorns of the modern age.

Only through social migration and allowing others to learn about sikhism without going into the modern day radical side of 'this is sikhism' this isnt sikhism' cant wear green, cant do this should do that can others actually learn the real approach to Sikhism. Through the modern day all people learn are rules and tenents and no one teaches the deep philosophical teachings of the Gurus as it may touch on personal phobias!

Its this reason whyGuru Nanak Dev Ji is not deemed influential to the world as we as Sikhs marginalise the gurus techings and how gret the guru is.