Gravesend'S New 12 Million Gurdwara

o_singh

Sadly, the multi-million pound Gurdwaray are more than likely seen as nothing more than lavish wedding venues. None of these committees who control the Gurdwaras are valliant enough promote humility back into our Anand Karajs. They would rather take the booking fee than discuss a Sikh Maryada with the families.

Makes me think. How can you make anyone actually care about their religion? I mean if it doesn't come from the heart already?

In anycase, that fancy pants Sikh wedding thing has been going on for years now. Why is anyone actually even shocked at this? Have you guys been living in caves?

I don't think that trend for ostentatious celebrations is about to diminish anytime soon from what I can see.

Makes me think. How can you make anyone actually care about their religion? I mean if it doesn't come from the heart already?

In anycase, that fancy pants Sikh wedding thing has been going on for years now. Why is anyone actually even shocked at this? Have you guys been living in caves?

I don't think that trend for ostentatious celebrations is about to diminish anytime soon from what I can see.

The only way I can see this trend changing is the Committees implement a humility/satkaar protocol which the family must adhere to. I have yet to come across a committee who give a list of do's and don't to the families booking Anand Karaj's at Gurdwaras. It's usually a free-for-all where little Gurmat is promoted during the morning event at the Guru Ghar.

However, the financial commitments of these multi million pound Gurdwara (and Gurdwaras in general) will influence the Committee's "appetite" for Gurmat during Anand Karajs. The income stream generated from Anand Karaj's is lucrative for the Gurdwara’s bank balance and even if that means promoting flamboyance, pretence and pakhand.

The only way I can see this trend changing is the Committees implement a humility/satkaar protocol which the family must adhere to. I have yet to come across a committee who give a list of do's and don't to the families booking Anand Karaj's at Gurdwaras. It's usually a free-for-all where little Gurmat is promoted during the morning event at the Guru Ghar.

I don't see this ever happening on any wide scale at ground level.

Besides, with all respect, I think you are overestimating the effect Gurdwaras have on the behaviour of what I will call the 'rank and file' of the community. For the vast majority of people, the main interaction they have with a Gurughar seems to be one in terms of life cycle ceremonies i..e births, deaths, wedding, celebrations etc.

We can have more sandeshs etc. coming from Akal Takhat but that in itself may just create a quagmire in terms of enforcement. Plus how much micromanagemnt can really go on in that way?

I guess in the end, we can't really do much if someone wants to go 'fancy pants'?

However, the financial commitments of these multi million pound Gurdwara (and Gurdwaras in general) will influence the Committee's "appetite" for Gurmat during Anand Karajs. The income stream generated from Anand Karaj's is lucrative for the Gurdwara’s bank balance and even if that means promoting flamboyance, pretence and pakhand.

Let's not solely blame Gurdwaras. It isn't like there isn't a very strong demand for this stuff from the community itself. I'd say Gurdwaras have never promoted 'flamboyance, pretence and pakhand' (or I'd like to think so) but rather some have found themselves slowly catering to the gradual but steadily growing preferences of a increasingly affluent community? The increase in revenue and general love of ostentatious displays of status that characterises much of the community seem to have formed a symbiotic relationship leading to where we are today.

You know, I've had a good few whiteys asking me to invite them to 'one of those crazy Sikh weddings' (their words not mine), so we are actually conspicuous for those flamboyant, drink fuelled jobs in some quarters :6

lol

beautiful gurdwara but our priority as a Sikh community is all wrong, we should spending the resources on living a Sikh lifestyle and promoting Sikhism to the youth than buildings. These holy buildings in places like pakistan afghanistan now are being used as library's, cattle shelters or being left to decay away because the Sikh population is slowly being ethnically/religiously cleasened out by the overtly hostile muslim population. The same way in the west the case will be similar if we dont change our thinking fast and become proactive and missionary otherwise the distinct Sikh faith and identity along with the courageous blood sacrifices of the past will have been all for nothing.