Extremely Slow Laptop

Hau Apraadhi

Vaaheguroo Jee Kaa Khaalsaa, Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fathe!

My laptop running windows 7 has randomly decided to be extreeeemely crazy mega slow. I'm not sure if it's a software (virus) or hardware problem.

Can anybody recommend me a good place to get it fixed from in Birmingham?

Or does anyone know if PC World do computer fixing services?

Or if you're a computer guru then here's some available sevaa...? hehe =P

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Vaaheguroo Jee Kaa Khaalsaa, Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fathe!

Do what I did last week. Back-up all your work and personal files (i.e. everything in your [insert username] folder), and format the hard disc. Then re-install Windows and ONLY the programs you need (such as an Office suite, anti-virus / spyware software, etc). Mine is running like a dream and I've realised that half the programs I'd installed on my hard disc, I didn't really need.

If the problems persist even after the format & reinstall, then you need to get someone to check it out.

Vaaheguroo! thanks for your responses =)

It's a Dell Inspiron 1520, Core2Duo, 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, bought it 2/3 (maybe 4) years ago lol

I have already tried to system restore it but all the saved restore points have disappeared.

And when i tried restoring it to its default factory settings, the 'Dell Factory Image Restore' option isn't there for me to choose.

I've tried booting it with a windows 7 cd but it soon came up with an error upon installation saying 'could not find the information about the disks on this computer'.

And i literally cannot use it because its way tooo slow and it randomly restarts itself after a while, it sometimes comes up with the 'Blue Screen' too.

Its really mashed up. All i wanted to do was totally restore it. But cant even do that.

So i gave up wondering if PC World fixes problems like these....? Or would I have to give it to Dell?

Any ideas?

wacko.gif

Thanks

@ Hau Apraadhi - I've got a Dell too. There should be a partition on your hard disc called RECOVERY. That's where the original, factory installed image of your hard disc is kept. When you start the 'Dell Factory Image Restore' option (by pressing F8 before Windows loads), that image is what is used to reload everything from scratch. So you say that's not working? Hmmm.....that doesn't sound too good.

Personally (and from what you've described), I think your laptop is clogged up with unnecessary processes, services, and possible spyware. The BSOD is not a good thing and usually a precursor to hardware failure - I've had it on my previous PC. But like I said, back-up EVERYTHING.

If you don't mind spending the money, then PC World would probably help but they over-charge on these type of services, when you could do most of it by yourself with a little bit of care. As for Dell, I'm guessing your warranty has expired (unless you've purchased the 5 year option) so I doubt they could help. No harm in asking them.

Vaaheguroo, thanks 'kaljugi' for that info. yh i have backed everything up, managed to do that before it got this slow. Yep my warranty has expired. I will definitely ask them. thanks for the advice, PC World is my last option, I'll do anything before going to them lol

When your PC is running slow. Open up task manager and have a look at the CPU usage and which program is using the most CPU. Three things cause your PC to be slow:

1. Running Low on Memory
  2. CPU maxing out
  3. Your are running Windows. rolleyes.gif

Processes = 72 "(i think thats bad lol) However... CPU = 5%, physical memory = about 33%

and yes its windows, booooo mac! tongue.gif apart from the fact it cant get viruses lol