Extremely Slow Laptop

Hau Apraadhi

dont have mac, i use linux rolleyes.gif

So PC world will be expensive. If you can backup the usful stuff and are able to just reformat then thats the best option. Thats what they will do too.

If you arent then run every major spyware software spybot sd, adaware, microsoft windows defender , malwarebytes are the main one.

i was talking about finding out which process is taking up memory and cpu when your computer is slow. Not when it is runing normally. :)

I have already tried to system restore it but all the saved restore points have disappeared.

And when i tried restoring it to its default factory settings, the 'Dell Factory Image Restore' option isn't there for me to choose.

To me that sound like you have a virus and/or spyware on your machine and a nasty one at that. Run this for now: http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

PS. Linux will definitely decrease issues like these, but then good luck running programs that are only built for Windows. I guess dual boot is one option then. Hmm I might try and setup a dual boot Windows7 and ubuntu on my machine this weekend. :happy:

Btw, if it wasn't for Windows, most of us would not have our current jobs. All hail Microsoft! :p

dont have mac, i use linux rolleyes.gif

So PC world will be expensive. If you can backup the usful stuff and are able to just reformat then thats the best option. Thats what they will do too.

If you arent then run every major spyware software spybot sd, adaware, microsoft windows defender , malwarebytes are the main one.

i was talking about finding out which process is taking up memory and cpu when your computer is slow. Not when it is runing normally. :)

oh yh all the programs are running fine, so they dont seem to be the problem.. i think...

To me that sound like you have a virus and/or spyware on your machine and a nasty one at that. Run this for now: http://www.lavasoft...._aware_free.php

PS. Linux will definitely decrease issues like these, but then good luck running programs that are only built for Windows. I guess dual boot is one option then. Hmm I might try and setup a dual boot Windows7 and ubuntu on my machine this weekend. :happy:

Btw, if it wasn't for Windows, most of us would not have our current jobs. All hail Microsoft! :p

i've tried installing it (which was taking aaaages) but during installation it came up with an error making it unable to install it, saying something about service pack 1...

Don't you think its better to ask in a techie forum or any other forum other than a sikh discussion site ?

rolleyes.gif

It would be more ideal but i dont think it's be better for me because i never ever understand what people on those sites! blink.gif i like to stick to a 'known' atmosphere where i know there are people who dont mind helping out. ok that might not make any sense, but i get what im saying tongue.gif

To me that sound like you have a virus and/or spyware on your machine and a nasty one at that. Run this for now: http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

YAY!!! Microsoft... :D

Don't you think its better to ask in a techie forum or any other forum other than a sikh discussion site ?

rolleyes.gif

dun worry about that

we are here to help each other with everything. And we also have POLITICS | NEWS | TECHIE section in this forum which means users are more welcome to ask any kind of technology related questions.

and the original poster is from Birmingham who is actually looking for trustful repair shops from his local sangat. And this is a general problem and 80 percent users on this forum can actually help this user solving the problem.

try this

click all program> accessories>RUN

type "msconfig" in the run type box without quotes

click OK

then go to START UP tab

it will show you all the programs which starts at the same time you start your windows :L:

you will see things like msn :L: just leave that unchecked cuz I love when it automatically shows because this is first thing I do when in start my laptop

anyways, uncheck the programs of your choice or just click disable all and it won't make any thing bad but will take less time while starting up.

u will need to restart and after u restart it will show u a msg and check to not show that msg next time you start.

also u can increase your RAM, uninstall the programs u dnt need, do u have programs like adobe photoshop?

Copy ALL your documents and files onto an external HD or burn them on DVD or something. Let's restore this laptop to its factory settings, which means it will remove all your documents in the process. Your Dell laptop must have come with a restore CD. Pop that baby in and restart the machine let it do its magic. It will restore your computer to how it was when you first got it from Dell. I have not used a Dell laptop in a while, but when you reboot after inserting the CD, it will likely say something to the effect of 'press any key to boot from CD'. Press the space bar and let the CD do it's thing.