Dudley Gurdwara Update

dudley singh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Sri Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

I must agree with my veer ji by the name of "whoareya" on this one. I have been involved in Gurdwara's for decades, and i have myself witnessed many youths come into the place, wanting to take over, wanting to change the running as they please, thinking that they have respect, when in actual fact, they have no respect for their elders. I think regardless of the issue, this youngster should have stayed with the committee because they run the Gurdwara everyday, and he should have supported it as a team effort.

On may occasions i have had youths do this, come into the picture then run scared when it comes to doing Seva. God only remembers the people who do Seva, not the people who come down in numbers and then disappear when the dust has settled.

So, i think we should give the committee more respect that this one kid who has decided its too much for him to handle. Dont get me wrong, i am all for soorjavaan young people coming into committees, but not people like this, who go when the going gets tough. Plus, i have heard of the Dudley committee youths anyhow, and i know they are not worthy of their title even.

Posts like this make we want to bury my head in my hands with embarrassment that "Siyaanay" like this exist. I am overwhelmed by your squirmish attitude and the fact that you want to make out this current committee are some kind of committed sewadars. Well, committed might be the right word, but not much commitment to Sikhi, perhaps more commitment to ensuring a drinking den is sustained in the hall.

Grow up Siyaanah, looks like the youth saw more sense and left the sangat of such Siyaanah cynics

I must agree with my veer ji by the name of "whoareya" on this one. I have been involved in Gurdwara's for decades, and i have myself witnessed many youths come into the place, wanting to take over, wanting to change the running as they please, thinking that they have respect, when in actual fact, they have no respect for their elders. I think regardless of the issue, this youngster should have stayed with the committee because they run the Gurdwara everyday, and he should have supported it as a team effort.

Meray Pyaray Dudley Siyaanay,

Why are you trying picking holes in the action of a youth who was probably in his nappies whilst siyaanay elders like yourselves were allowing kegs of Double Diamond in the Gurdwara property!

Why do you expect any poor young person to take on the maaray karam that the rest of the siyanay committee have taken on! It's their hisab kitab with Dharam Rai, don't expect others to have to take any portion of this committees paap in their lekha.

Face it Siyaana, more than likely the youth didn't see this committee as inspirational Sikh role models!

Seva is optional we cannot judge people thats the role of guru ji......we all have oportunities to do it and those that do it for the right reasons are blessed.

Our seva to the dudley sangat is to make sure that we attend on saturday and show them that we will not allow these manmukhs to dilute sikhi for there thirst of maas and sharab!!

If you want to divert this topic please start up a new debate...

keep this thread on the sikh cultural centre and the beadbi that is taking place there....and how we are going to stop it!!!!

Why are you all taking this so personally? You do not know this individual. And you do not know me. So how dare you slate me and suggest that i was one who allowed alcohol into the Gurdwara? You have no right. Your problem is that you people do not show elders like myself who have done years and years of seva any respect.

I never condoned alcohol in a Gurdwara but also believe that a community hall is for exactly what it is called, a hall for the local community who have put their hard earned money into it, to have their functions there. It is a local resource which benefits the community. You people who criticise are not from anywhere the area, have never attended the Gurdwara or Community Centre.

And in regards to Gurprit Singh, you do not know anything about him. As you have assumed everything else, you must also be assuming he has taken amrit and does never ending seva for the Gurdwara, but you do not know this, and i still say that if he was such a good sevadar, if he had the best interests of the Gurdwara at heart, he would not have backed out.

Sorry but it is true.

Why are you all taking this so personally? You do not know this individual. And you do not know me. So how dare you slate me and suggest that i was one who allowed alcohol into the Gurdwara? You have no right. Your problem is that you people do not show elders like myself who have done years and years of seva any respect.

I never condoned alcohol in a Gurdwara but also believe that a community hall is for exactly what it is called, a hall for the local community who have put their hard earned money into it, to have their functions there. It is a local resource which benefits the community. You people who criticise are not from anywhere the area, have never attended the Gurdwara or Community Centre.

You ask why we are taking this so personally. You ask why a Sikh can not express his/her outrage at the blatant abuse of Gurdwara owned properties. Respect where respect is due. I often wonder why these committee elders demand respect, particularly when maaray kum of meat, sharab and belligernt parties take place. Shouldn't respect be earned? If someone expects respect only because they are in a position to demand it, then isn't it fake? If you ask me, a person should be respected only for their jeevan, abilities and qualities, not because their committee position or age demands it.

Showing respect is different from feeling respect. The former is a conceited attempt, used, or perhaps misused, for political or selfish gains. The latter is a naturally occurring phenomenon, inspired by legitimate appreciation of the other's jeevan.

Genuine respect is felt inside. It is earned by living a life that inspires and motivates. It is objective and unbiased. But, it is not demanded. Yet, we find our prabhandak committees insisting that we respect them? The truth is that respect has nothing to do with age and seniority. In fact, it is possible that we may respect many people who are lesser than us in age, experience, or status. I respect many of my elders, not because they demand it but, because they command it through their jeevans, their behaviour, and their attitude. On the other hand, I don't feel why we should have respect for simply anyone, especially if they assert themselves needlessly, frequently to show their authority and feel in control, just like these Committees running sharab dens in Gurdwara properties.

Siyaanah

All this boils down to is that you dont get the respect you deserve. What about the respect Sri Guru GrantH Sahib Ji deserves? Seva is done without the want for recognition. Those who want recongnition are politians.

Sorry to burst your bubble, you monies dont buy the principles embedded in Sikhi. The Gurdwara is Gurujis , not the highest bidders!

I hope you have some passion for something because you have zero passion for Sikhi….

Lets get the facts straight here:

FACT: If the Gurdwara was not involved this centre would never have been made or been able to survive as long as has.For over 15 years (excluding the last 4 years)all the bills of the Centre where jointly paid out of the Gurdwaras bank account,

FACT: The Gurdwaras charity number and ownership of the freehold is not in question its the Gurdwara who own and run this building

Fact: The money collected for the centre was done under the Gurdwaras name....Giving money to the Gurdwara is one thing...giving money to a bunch of community members to have a party hall is another....

Fact: The Building can function as a Community Centre not just a place to have parties....Have a look at Edward Street, Smethwick Community Center the Nishkam Centre all run by Gurdwara NO meat or alchol or parties there!!

Fact: The Sikh Agenda has now changed If we don't start investing time in our children and communities using a sikh ethos and begin to dilute our relgion we have no future!!! The Gurdwara's role is one of protecting the panth not distroying it!!

Fact: The gurdwara is opposite the centre on one hand you preach Sikhi the next minute you have your ears pollluted with Bhangra Music and guys smoking outside the centre whilst the gurdwara committee members or sevedars are joining in!!

Fact: I have been to dudley gurdwara for many years has my golak money been used to fund maas shaarab YES IT HAS!!!!

In the interest of fairness to all those involved in discussing this issue, I have to let you know that the following accounts are being accessed from same IP's and most likely are the same person:

Gur<mod edit to protect privacy>

siyaanah

hooareya

whoareya

integratedresettle

I highlighted the two accounts above because one posted this post http://www.sikhsanga...post__p__485732

and then the other agreed with him

why r u all assuming that he's a hero and did it for good reasons? i think he sold out. shudve stuck with the committee. and i heard he's a youth. it jus goes to show that when the s*** hits the fan, they all run...

http://www.sikhsanga...post__p__485783

In addition to this, the person posting the first post was hooareya but if you look at the reply by siyaanah he calls him "whoareya". when that indvidual hasnt even made a post in this topic yet.

Mod Note: Post to remain at the request of the original poster

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Dear Sadh Sangat of SikhSangat, my name is Gurpreeth Singh and I am the former member of the Dudley Gurdwara committee who some people have been speaking about on this forum; and in particular, about my resignation. I did not wish to take this measure, but I have copied and pasted below my letter of resignation to the committee. I felt that I needed to get the truth from my side across, and I offer you all to have a read of my reasoning, and then feel free to judge me as you wish.

I would also like to add, that the Gurdwara first and foremost belongs to Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, and then the Sangat, so I will continue to do Seva at the Gurdwara with all of my heart, no committee members pushed me out and no committee members could have done so. My reasons were personal and I wish them all the luck. The primary reasons for my resignation are all listed in the letter and they are the only reasons I resigned. Therefore, I would kindly ask anyone else who may have an issue with me and the Seva that I have done in the past, the Seva that I do currently, and the Seva that I will continue to do in the future, to approach me at Guru Nanak Singh Sabha Gurdwara on any given Sunday and let their feelings be known to my face.

There is one more thing I would like to add. I have been attending this Gurdwara for 20 years now. My parents and grandparents have been for a lot longer than that even. I would like to kindly request the people who have been approaching my grandmother since my resignation and victimising her by speaking untruths about me to please stop doing so. If you wish to accuse me of things then have the decency to say so to me, I will gladly answer every query you may have.

I ask forgiveness from the almighty and the Sangat for anything that I have said which has caused offence.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

"Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

01 February 2011

Parbandak Committee

Guru Nanak Singh Sabha Gurdwara

118 Wellington Road

Dudley

DY1 1UB

I am writing in order to inform you that I have no option but to resign from my Seva of Community Welfare Officer and Librarian. I would like to express my appreciation for your leadership and counsel during the duration of my Seva in the Committee. I have learned a lot and this will be of great value to me in the future.

However, the route that the committee have taken in regards to some of its policy and decisions leave me with no choice but to hand in my resignation due to the fact that such policies are totally against my personal views, beliefs and morals. Particularly in regards to the removal of the "Sikh Cultural Centre" sign from the building. When I asked what the basis for this decision to be passed in the committee was, I was told the following:

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: normal; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">That the Council said the name of the building was "Wellington Road Community Centre" and that the Sikh community should first return the money that the council have put into centre, then they call it what they want. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: normal; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">That the Council said the funding of the GNSS Senior Citizens Forum cannot be increased due to the fact that the building is called "Sikh" Cultural Centre and is therefore limited to Sikh people only.
  • That the Sikh Cultural Centre belongs to the Council and the therefore the Sikh community cannot assume ownership.

I was also granted permission by the committee to approach the Council and clarify these issues seen as though I am currently in training at Dudley MBC. Having done so, it became clear from the department I spoke to that in response to the above points:

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: normal; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">The Council have no involvement in the Sikh Cultural Centre <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: normal; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">The name of the building on their records was officially "Sikh Cultural Centre"
  • That although funding was taken care of by another department of the Council, the name of the building would not affect the decision to increase/decrease funding, and this would be determined by the nature and strength of the applying organisations application.

Therefore it is clear that the committee's decision to remove the signs was not evidence based, and the reasons presented were false. The biggest dilemma for myself is the fact that Singh's and Kaur's are facing torture and becoming martyrs in India to this very day, in order to maintain the "Chardi Kala" of the Sikh Qaum, and our committee is happy to go backwards and remove our proud name off buildings that we have ownership of. This is an insult to all the sacrifices people have made over the years. It is also my opinion that the Gurdwara should be promoting Sikhi culture.

I do not wish for my name to be associated with such acts that I feel are quite immoral. I wish to stay truthful to myself, the Sadh Sangat and most importantly, Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I wish to have no further part in this committee, one that inevitably people will look back on one day and agree that substantial, long lasting mistakes were made.

Good Luck,

Yours Sincerely

Gurpreeth Singh Aujla

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh"