Ardas

JSinghN

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

There is no correct time for Ardaas, You can do Ardaas whenever you like. Basically ardaas is a request, so you do ardaas requesting Guru ji to forgive you for any mistakes you have made during the Bani. In Gurudwara they mostly do rehraas, and then ardaas then hukanaman. As in the Ardaas they mostly say “Hukamnama Naal Sangat No Nihal Karo” (Amaze the Sangat with your hukam)

You can also do an ardaas whenever and wherever. Because Guru Ji is always with you. It can be a request to Guru Ji, BUT NEVER A DEMAND! It also says in Rehat that you should always perform ardaas before undertaking a task.

So when reading Bani, ardaas is done after. And when undertaking a task ardaas should be done before!

DAAS ALSO HAS A QUESTION ON ARDASS.

WHY DO WE STAND UP IN ARDAAS? CAN WE DO IT SITTING OR DOES IT ALWAYS HAVE TO BE STANDING UP AND WHY???

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

DAAS ALSO HAS A QUESTION ON ARDASS.

WHY DO WE STAND UP IN ARDAAS? CAN WE DO IT SITTING OR DOES IT ALWAYS HAVE TO BE STANDING UP AND WHY???

[/font]

If you ever go to court and want to address the judge, you stand when u speak. So everyone knows who the don is. Now at the very least when doing an Ardas to the king of kings,it aint that hard to stand , isit?

Guru Angad Dev JI tells us on Ang 1093

salok ma 2 |

aapae jaanai karae aap aapae aanai raas |

thisai agai naanakaa khalie keechai aradhaas |1|

Shalok, Second Mehl:

He Himself knows, He Himself acts, and He Himself does it right.

So stand before Him, O Nanak, and offer your prayers. ||1||

khalie means stand, therefore it is hukam to stand for Ardas

heres what a quick google serach give, good arth

The word Ardass has been derived from the Persian language word 'Arjaa Das' means the prayer of the servant. A servant , since ancient times, was supposed to stand with folded hands in front of his master and ask for his requests. Guru Granth Sahib jee is our ultimate master. When ever a Sikh has to ask for any thing or thanks the master for something; he must follow the same old path of a slave or servant. As Guru Nanak jee has said , 'We all are HIS lala golas'. The word 'Lala Gola ' again in Persian stands for the one's servants. Moreover, HE further elobrated this by saying ' HUM CHAAKER GOVIND KAI'. Hence as true followers a SIKH is a CHAAKER of his Gobind (Guru Granth Sahib jee). He must listen to his MASTER attentively with folded hands (Hukamnama) and follow it in his life. While saying his prayers or ARDASS , he must stand up with folded hands with a hazorria around his neck like a true servant of HIS MASTER

for deeper arth there are a good 20+ tracks by Bhai Pinderpal on Gurmatveechar.com about Ardas (several hours worth)

"Although there is no correct time,"

Bhai Gurdas Ji and many Mahapurkh say Amritvela is the best.

sifath salaahan anmrith vaelaa |20|7|

Ambrosial hours are the correct time for His praise.(20)(7)

"It also says in Rehat that you should always perform ardaas before undertaking a task."

Bhai Chaupa SinghJi

Before embarking on any endeavour, perform an Ardaas, Never recognise anyone other than Guru Ji.

Ardas shud be done from heart whther ur standing or sitting or sleeping. ulitmately mind concentration is imprtant when doing ardas. It shouldnot be like you doing ardas verbally but ur mind is in Facebook

Does it make it okay for me to do an Ardas standing on one foot, with one hand behind my back whilst i rub my head with the other, and perform squats with my other leg, (as long as i aint thinking about facebook)?

If Guru Angad Dev Ji commands us to stand whilst doing Ardas, then that should be enough. We shouldnt just do whatever we feel like.

salok ma 2 |

aapae jaanai karae aap aapae aanai raas |

thisai agai naanakaa khalie keechai aradhaas |1|

Shalok, Second Mehl:

He Himself knows, He Himself acts, and He Himself does it right.

So stand before Him, O Nanak, and offer your ardas. ||1||

Hate to sound patronising, but

aap naraaein kalaa dhaar jag mehi paravariyo |

nirankaar aakaar joth jag manddal kariyo |

jeh keh theh bharapoor sabadh dheepak dheepaayo |

jih sikheh sangrehiou thath har charan milaayo |

naanak kul ninmal avatharoui angadh lehanae sang hua |

gur amaradhaas thaaran tharan janam janam paa saran thua |2|16|

The Lord Himself wielded His Power and entered the world.

The Formless Lord took form, and with His Light He illuminated the realms of the world.

He is All-pervading everywhere; the Lamp of the Shabad, the Word, has been lit.

Whoever gathers in the essence of the teachings shall be absorbed in the Feet of the Lord.

Lehnaa, who became Guru Angad, and Guru Amar Daas, have been reincarnated into the pure house of Guru Nanak.

Guru Amar Daas is our Saving Grace, who carries us across; in lifetime after lifetime, I seek the Sanctuary of Your Feet. ||2||16||

If Baba Thakur Singh Ji gives an example of how important it is to stand, why still add our own 2 cents?

Hoye Nimana Jag Raho Nanak Nadri Paar.

It all depends on Satguru Sache Patshahe whther Guruji accepts his/her ardas. Sometimes Naati Dhoti Rah Gayi, Moh te Makhi Beh Gayi(Even after so much Bath and Makeup to convince the Husband(Akal Purakh), Akal purakh may not accept his/her shingar).

As a Norm, always stand and do ardas but ultimately its your Faith and Bhavna which takes you to the other end.

• 2 weeks later...