Pushing And Shoving For Guru Jis Darshan

LearnerSingh

Recently I went to Sir Harminder Sahib, it was an amazing feeling. But I was also upset because, When Guru Ji is brought from Akal Takhat to Harminder Sahib, there is always pushing and shoving from the sangat so they can get Darshan. Should This be done? As a member of the sangat should i also push to get darshan. Or let everybody push me and get to the back of the sangat, not having Guru Jees Darshan?

This also happens in Nagar Kirtans, and other Gurdwars.

Forgive me if i have said anything wrong.

Its sad, but this is what happens specially in india. Its the mentality of our people there, little less here. Its always push push push when you are standing inline and when doing matha tek aswell. People climbing and pushing all over you, chucking money etc. For people from abroad they have travelled thousands of miles to get here then all of a sudden you rushed to do the last 2 mins of your journey.

Its sad, but this is what happens specially in india. Its the mentality of our people there, little less here. Its always push push push when you are standing inline and when doing matha tek aswell. People climbing and pushing all over you, chucking money etc. For people from abroad they have travelled thousands of miles to get here then all of a sudden you rushed to do the last 2 mins of your journey.

Exactly. Also, why is it that whenever you take family members (who live in Panjab) with you for the darshan of various Gurudwaras, they're always in a rush to leave? Its "chalo, chalo, chalo" all the time. Its unfuriating. I've never been given the chance to just sit down at the edge of the sarovar and just connect or meditate on my surroundings. I don't understand what the rush is for.

I've not been to India in nearly a decade, but I'm seriously considering not telling anyone the next time I go. I'm just going to find a hotel and stay there, and then visit all the Gurudwaras in my own time and in peace without any nonsense.

It's just an Indian thing. Don't worry about it.

Sometimes we go from western countries with our western ideas but we forget that life is different in other parts of the world. There are different systems.

Have you ever tried to push back? They don't care if you push them. It's just a way of life to them. It does not make you any less Sikh.

Remember some people will do anything to get Darshan of Maharaj.

Best thing to do is stay there for at least 1 night and then do Darshan. That way you could sit in the Parkarma and wait until it is a quieter time. Then go and do Darshan at Darbar Sahib.

We need to take positives from there. If we think about all the negatives then we will not gain anything.

It's just an Indian thing. Don't worry about it.

Sometimes we go from western countries with our western ideas but we forget that life is different in other parts of the world. There are different systems.

Have you ever tried to push back? They don't care if you push them. It's just a way of life to them. It does not make you any less Sikh.

Remember some people will do anything to get Darshan of Maharaj.

Best thing to do is stay there for at least 1 night and then do Darshan. That way you could sit in the Parkarma and wait until it is a quieter time. Then go and do Darshan at Darbar Sahib.

We need to take positives from there. If we think about all the negatives then we will not gain anything.

I have to agree with phaenji above..

Some good points made above. Personally I wouldn't have made a thread on pushing in satguru ramdas ji's charan– as sangat above have said, we must not take our western expectations with us to India. It also depends on the time of year / day you go.

Benti to mods – please change the topic title to ‘Personal Experiences at Sri Harimandir Sahib’ or 'Personal Experiences of Doing Guru Sahibs Darshan' or similar.

Check out this video I made when satguru sahib last did kirpa for me to do darshan of Sri Harimandir Sahib:

notice: not one person in the sangat is pushing, im getting quiet a few smiles, and the random innocent guru ka sikh that wanted me to video his family. Honestly I find that generally punjabi's are very sweet people. When we go into Sri Amritsar we should go as the dust of the sangats charan.

kaljugi i can sooooo relate to you!.... thats why now i go punjab by my self (without family even though they strongly discourage me as they think im too young). at times i felt sad not seeing my relatives and that but chal, guru sahib comes first. also when i go with family i have to really fight to do darshan of gurdwarae, then when we do go its all rushed and ritualistic. we just matha tekh and its job done... time to chhak langar (dispite me protesting!). In anycase, i do believe any experience is an amazing experience :)

kaljugi whatever u said is so true. They spend more time in market around the gurdwaras and dnt even buy anything and always in hurry. But me and my family used to spend as much as we can and listen to kirtan inside darbar sahib. I miss the days.

Also about pushing I think no body actually does, it is just that the people are in hurry and they try to move a little more further which cause this pushing and shoving. But at darbar sahib I never experienced it. Everyone there move slowly with anand.

Wow, lets just get of our western high horse for one minute. When in large crowd situations it always feels like someone is pushing you just so everyone is moving forward. Think when at turnstiles at a football match up to there it feels ur being pushed forward or the tube, moving throigj oyster gates or the escaletrs or just generally at peak times due to the number of people and the limted size of premises everyone tries to move forward and thus it does feel like people are pushing. I feel ot happens in all large crowd situations. Like others have said they not experienced it. As for people with itchy feet who cant stay in a place for a few mins well thats universal not just people in punjab, it depends on the person.