British Prime Minister Cameron Says Multiculturalism Has Failed

genie

Cameron: It's time to stop tolerating the Islamic extremists and get immigrants to respect British 'core values'

By Jason Groves

Last updated at 12:03 PM on 5th February 2011

David Cameron today pledged to make Britain ‘a lot less’ tolerant towards Islamic extremists who whip up hatred against the West.

In a major speech on terrorism, the Prime Minister argued that Britain has been too ‘passive’ towards organisations and preachers who poison the minds of young Muslims.

Mr Cameron said Britain needs to be less tolerant and more judgemental when faced with ideologies that threaten the country’s basic values.

David Cameron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel at the International Conference on Security Policy in Munich today. 'Frankly, we need a lot less of the passive tolerance of recent years and much more active, muscular liberalism,' the Prime Minister said

Signalling a major departure from Labour’s softly-softly approach, he suggested that to ‘belong’ in Britain, individuals must sign up to core values such as freedom of speech, the rule of law and democracy.

In a barely-concealed attack on the opposition, he will say: ‘It’s time to turn the page on the failed policies of the past.’

The Prime Minister pledged to end all public funding for groups which give succour to extremist views. And he called for action to ban extremists from radicalising young people in universities, prisons and internet chat rooms.

At a security conference in Munich today, Mr Cameron said: ‘Frankly, we need a lot less of the passive tolerance of recent years and much more active, muscular liberalism.’

His warning comes just days after Britain’s independent reviewer of anti-terrorism laws, Lord Carlile, said that human rights rulings had made Britain a ‘safe haven’ for suspected foreign terrorists.

The Prime Minister also hit out at Labour’s experiment with multiculturalism – calling it a failure. He says society has failed to provide a strong sense of what it means to be British, making it easier for extremists to prey on youngsters seeking something to identify with.

He added: ‘We have even tolerated these segregated communities behaving in ways that run counter to our values.

FOREIGN SECRETARY WARNS OF CYBER WARS

Governments must agree rules for online behaviour to prevent ‘cyber war’ breaking out between states, William Hague warned yesterday.

The Foreign Secretary revealed that as recently as last month his department’s IT system had come under attack from a ‘hostile state intelligence agency’.

He added that reliance on computer networks to control everything from the supply of electricity to the flow of money had ‘opened up new channels for hostile governments to probe our defences’.

Mr Hague told the Munich Security Conference that he was willing to host an international conference in Britain to discuss ‘norms of acceptable behaviour’ in cyberspace.

And he called for ‘real political and diplomatic weight’ to be put behind regulations to prevent an online war.

‘So when a white person holds objectionable views – racism, for example – we rightly condemn them.

‘But when equally unacceptable views or practices have come from someone who isn’t white, we’ve been too cautious, frankly even fearful, to stand up to them.’

Mr Cameron pledged to end the state funding of groups that help foster extremist views, even if they are not directly linked to terrorism. He warned that there is a ‘spectrum’ of dangerous groups, ranging from those advocating suicide bomb attacks to those who ‘may reject violence, but who accept various parts of the extremist world view, including real hostility towards western democracy and liberal values’.

He said: ‘As evidence emerges about the backgrounds of those convicted of terrorist offences, it is clear that many of them were initially influenced by what some have called “non-violent extremists” and then took those radical beliefs to the next level by embracing violence.’

Shami Chakrabarti, director of civil liberties and human rights campaign group Liberty, said: 'I don't know how the Prime Minister defines multiculturalism, but I agree with every fundamental right and freedom set out in his speech.

'These are the values enshrined in the Human Rights Act which I hope he will now promote rather than denigrate.'

Downing Street last night declined to name the groups Mr Cameron is referring to. But controversial organisations which have received state funding in the past include Hizb-ut-Tahrir and the Muslim Council of Britain.

Mr Cameron warned fellow European leaders that they cannot tackle terrorism simply by tracking down extremists abroad in countries like Afghanistan and Pakistan and must ‘wake up to what is happening in our own countries’.

But the Prime Minister added that events in Egypt – where Muslim protesters are calling for democratic reforms – show that ‘Western values and Islam can be entirely compatible’.

Is he right or wrong?I would like to ask him what are British values? And how is some aspects of western British culture better than eastern cultures that promote respect for elders, sense of pride and honour, having self respect, etc which the western way of life / liberalised culture increasingly lacks.

Increasingly you can see the more westernised those of asian descent get the more they stray into binge drinking, drug abuse, multiple sexual partners thus increasing sexual diseases among the community, domestic abuse, kids with multiple partners, etc. How are promotional of liberalised values actually helping society? on the contrary since the 80s ive seen a sharp decrease in core values that promote a wholesome good helpful respectful society thanks to hedonistic liberalism. The key, in my view, is balancing western values with core eastern ones that you do not compromise on.

A reason why so many white westerners are turning towards eastern faiths like Sikhism is because they see the western society is shallow, individualistic and immoral. I was recently talking to a white women who has converted to Sikhism after years of researching other faiths and she asked me when you see white women dressed to nothing every weekend drunk and legless, what impression do you get? And she is right the impression is not a very good one. Gurbani talks about modesty being fundamental to bettering yourself. When western liberalism promotes the total opposite then we have a conflict of interest.

In regards to Islamic extremism then sure we should tackle them, any form of extremism is not good. However Islamic extremism is the total polar opposite to western liberal hedonism, both are bad in my view. I believe Sikhism has the best path, the middle way. Not liberally insane and not extremely nuts.

What was the true nature of this multiculturalism in the UK anyway?

If it has failed I believe that this is (at least partially) because it was a false premise anyway. Who can say that subtle, institutional racism isn't a pervasive factor in society here, especially that directed to men of colour? It pervades corporations, many individual employment experiences and the media itself (including the state funded BBC). Pointing at some purposefully placed 'tokens' as some sort of evidence against this doesn't really fool anyone with half a brain.

Over the years I've met so many talented, educated ethnics at work who frequently never seem to rise above a particular level. On the contrary I've seen so many mediocre (at best!) whites get preferential treatment solely based on their colour/race. Letting a few 'favoured' people up, just doesn't cut it.

I've got friends/family in the Canada and US and they tell me that such things aren't as pronounced over there.

If multiculturalism has failed, it isn't solely the fault of ethnics as will undoubtedly get made out. When people highlight the more insular communities to justify their prejudice views, they have a tendency to play down (or largely ignore) the huge amount of people who have tried to get on.

No doubt Cameron is just pandering to the potentially huge vote bank consisting of disillusioned, semi-illiterate working class whites. Yes, sure, some genuine gripes do exist but it's also true that those complaining seem to have a predilection for this - on one excuse or another.

England could do so much better if if stopped being slyly conservative and obstructionist. Yes, sure some idiots from abroad are here, but so too are the most talented and hardworking. If England/Britain can't get over ingrained notions of white supremacy to utilise these people to help them and the nation progress, without putting conditions of selling out in one way or another on them, then they only have themselves to blame for failing to take advantage of ripe opportunity.

In any case, I think we can say that like all things that must end, Britain's former glory days of being so 'great' are now well behind her. She needs to graciously accept this....

Is it just me or does aspects of this country appear to be getting more and more 'third world like' day by day?

This country is a mess. The 'smiling through gritted teeth' PC (but secretly prejudiced) brigade do my head in. The extremist Muslims are a pain - the white elites are just as bad but in different ways. Our confused community is laughable. People throughout the whole spectrum are simply IGNORANT. That's all I can say at the moment. I've over-simplified a few things but that's because I haven't the patience (yet) to expand my points.

We've been complaining about Islamic extremism and its ideology for donkeys years (just need to search the forum) it's only now with the rise of EDL does the British political establishment, the elitist politicians have woken up and feel the need to confront it. I hope they manage to keep in check their security services who have often used a game of deception first covertly recruiting islamic nutcases and then deceptively using them against other governments and civilians (including the uk). And then washing their hands of them after they have used them, all in order to bring in Orwellian legislation that curbs our basic freedoms and human rights in the name of national security.

Finally!! Thanks for waking up Mr prime minister, lets just hope he isnt just playing polotics and has the balls to actually make some changes.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that. You get these kind of speeches from various Prime Ministers a few times a year. They're designed to remind the average white voter who is feeling disenfranchised and fed-up with his lot in life, that the big, bad brown people ruining this country will not be given free reign to continue their savage ways. Its nothing but politics.