Sikh Muslim Marriage

ISW

WJKK

WJKF

Can anyone please tell me if SIkh Muslim Is acceptable in Sikhism? I knw a friend who is sikh and gettting married to a muslim girl. I was wondering if someone can help me if this is acceptable or non acceptable in sikhism?

Thanks

The only reason it would be wrong is because then the couple do not practice the same religion. It will be hard on their end and their children. How will they raise their children? But then again this all depends on the couple. My great mamaji married a Muslim girl around the partition and he was a great Gursikh and she supported his views.

Bakki Bhul Chuk Maaf... I dont know a lot about this but just stating an example I know of.

Thanks for ur views guys. I was wondering if there is anything in Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj regarding this?

I just dont understand y someone has to change their religion in order to marry someone. I mean Guru ji always said all are paths to one God

While it may be true that all paths lead to God, the fact remains they are different paths. Think about it this way, if 2 people are going to the same destination but they using different paths, they are not really going together. How can then they consult each other, help each other and look out for each other?

There are many many things a couple needs to work on, compromise on, forgive/forget on with in a marriage. Introducing another big problem into the mix is not going to help anyone involved.

I always say this, if your faith is important to you, then you will want to get a life partner with similar values. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

I always say this, if your faith is important to you, then you will want to get a life partner with similar values. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

i agree with this. I have an uncle he married a gori (christian) they married in the court and decided that they both will follow their own faith & wont impose any specific religion(sikhichristian) on their children but tell them about both faiths. They named their son a sikh name and daughter a christian name (not kaur, something different) so they both compromise with each other & dont let the faith come in their way. Its been working great for them also because they both were not very religious, but also didnt want to give up their faith. If my uncle was a gursikh, then he wouldn't have married a chrisitan lady unless she wanted to become a Sikh as well and vice versa. So again, it all depends on how much your religion is important to you!!

I would advise against this as such unions seldom work out. The biggest factor would be the path the children take. Will the father be happy if they decide to embrace the Muslim faith, as children are very close to the mother? What if the children all pick different paths? Which community would they belong to? It just causes such a headache.

As for the case i take it the girl has run away from home? You say she is Muslim, but depending on what culture she comes from he could have some serious hassle on his hands. Not a great start to any marriage.

Anyhow I am a firm believer in Sikhs marrying Sikhs, even if it is a man. We Sikhs don't have the huge numbers that other faiths have and should make it a priority that our heritage is not diluted.

Guru Fateh.

Basically it comes down to your priority in life. If its Sikhi, you won't even dream of marrying a non-Sikh, and if the person is an Amritdhari, he/she will not marry a non-Amritdhari even if the non-Amritdhari is from a Sikh family. If your friend's priority is to have a wife whom he loves and who loves him, no matter what faith she follows, by all means he can go ahead and marry her, at the risk of being viewed upon as someone who went against his faith (not sure if he cares anyways). I am no one to say what is right and wrong because at the end only Guru Sahib decides that as only He judges us. You cannot expect someone who studied arts to work as a computer programmer. Same way, you cannot expect someone (I am just going to presume) who was never taught the core Sikh values or brought up in a GurSikh environment to be devout enough and marry a practicing Sikh.

Your friend needs to be careful. Just because the girl in this instance is Muslim (as opposed to the girl being Sikh and guy being a Muslim) doesn't mean any attempts at conversion will not be attempted. I hate saying this kind of stuff but its true. Although I'm guessing if he wants to marry a Muslim, converting to her faith won't be that much of an issue for him. Let's hope he can withstand the circumcision.

Somewhere along the line, the guy's parents failed in their duty as Sikhs (amritdhari or not). There's certain lines you don't cross and this is one of them. Sorry if anyone is offended.