Should Sikhs Be Having Many Children

KhalistaniGunMan

This is an interesting discussion and one that should be a cause for concern for all Sikhs.

Nothing is guaranteed in life, no one can know whether their children will end up as Gursikhs or Manmukhs but that shouldn't stop us from having more children. It is generally accepted that having 2 children is the replacement level of a population group which means that if all married Sikh couples have 2 children each then the Sikh population will remain static and not increase. Less than 2 children and the population will actually decrease. This is the case in most European countries where their populations are decreasing. In the UK the population has only increased because of the large number of immigrants from eastern Europe and from other parts of the world. You need a genocide to destroy a people nowadays, just promote contraception and make a less than 2 children the norm. In our parents generation 4-6 children were the norm, In fact out of 4 uncles in my family, 1 did not marry, 2 had 8 children each and one had 3 children. That's an average of 4.75 which will double the population every 40 years. This is the one of the reasons, the other being through conversion why the Sikh population before 1947 always increased by a higher percentage than the Hindus and even the Muslims! Apart from 1951 when the Sikh losses suffered during the partition showed that the Sikh population increased by a small percentage the Sikh population up to 2001 always increased by more than the Hindu population.

I remember that in the late 80s the Kharkoos during their Samaj Sudhar movement banned the use of contraceptions and urged Sikhs to have more children. This is probably one of the reasons that the Sikh population increased from 60.19% of the total population of Punjab in 1981 to 62.95% in 1991. After the time the Sikh population has decreased to 59.95% due to outmigration by Sikhs, inmigration by non-Sikhs and the preference for smaller families. Sikh organisations should be actively encouraging Sikhs to have more children.

Apart from the natural increase, there is great scope to increase the Sikh population through conversion. SewadaarEKhalsa has given information about the different tribal groups who have a tendency to veer towards Sikhi. There are already a number of organisations that work with these groups but there is scope for their activities to be increased.

A good site giving information on these groups is-;

http://www.forgottensikhs.com/

It also depends on one's finances too. You can't condemn somebody for having a couple of kids if they can't afford to have anymore. That's irresponsible and does more damage to the children they do have in the long-term. Its not all about increasing the ranks of a population.There's such an issue as social responsibility.

If we can guarantee the children will grow up to be Gursikh, then go for it. Until such an enlightened time arrives, we'd just be introducing more confused and lost kids who are Sikh by name only.

Also, if anyone is expecting a generation of 'Guru Ke Laadle' from the very people who are ashamed of giving their children Sikh names, well then that's naive. The type of names I've heard the generation before mine (the 30+ age group) give to their kids is an absolute disgrace. Muslim, Hindu and Christian names given to Sikh children whilst the impotent elders stand-by and do nothing.

@ Kuljugi - Excellent point!!!

On this point alone - I apologise if I have ever come across as having a go at you.

@ Kuljugi - Excellent point!!!

On this point alone - I apologise if I have ever come across as having a go at you.

Oh, well thank-you for granting me the opportunity to revel in your wisdom. I hope I will not have to wait too long for a similar moment of graciousness.

There's two ways to look at the situation. The first is through misty-eyed, Sikhi-infused passion where all that matters is the pumping out of kids no matter what. To hell with common sense and responsibility, I want to litter the planet with my offspring even though I and my wife could be two of the most disgustingly cretinous individuals to have ever walked this earth. As long as the kids have joore and mini-dastaars on their wee little heads by the time they're 7, I've got first-class entry to Sachkhand because there's two more Sikhs in the world and that's all Akal Purakh cares about(!) Whose genes have they got? Whose values and behaviour have they followed and seen since childhood? Certainly nothing positive if the parents themselves are poor role models. So if the parents don't make a concerted effort to not only look like true Gursikhs but also behave like true Gursikhs, then how will the children fare any better?

The second is the true situation "on-the-ground" taking into account various factors including financial capabilities, quality of life, love for the child / children, educating them about the faith, etc.

Without writing an essay, I personally feel that Gursikhs should have more than one child, depending on whether they feel they have the desire and patience to adequately pass on their values (religious and otherwise) to their children, and if they are willing to invest a lot of time and love into educating their child about the faith. It's not about crapping out a couple of kids, taking them to the Gurudwara a few times a week, and enrolling them in Panjabi class and then hope that Waheguru does the rest.

If its purely a numbers a game, then go for it. I can see which way this world is heading, and its not towards Sikhi. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing as it sorts the wheat from the chaff. But unless you're willing to invest time and effort into instilling Gursikh values into your children, don't be surprised if they grow up to be feeble-minded, weak-willed manmukhs, or of the like that are swanning around on scooters and Hero Honda's in Panjab at the moment. Or even worse - they could be manmukhs hiding behind Gursikh saroop. But I suppose for some people that doesn't matter for as long as people look the part that's all that counts, ey?

. So if the parents don't make a concerted effort to not only look like true Gursikhs but also behave like true Gursikhs, then how will the children fare any better?

Or even worse - they could be manmukhs hiding behind Gursikh saroop. But I suppose for some people that doesn't matter for as long as people look the part that's all that counts, ey?

Yes, Or even worse - they could be the Manmukhs who say that "Guru Gobind Singh Ji was wasting his time when he took Amrit from the Panj Piyare, and did not cut his hair, and wore the 5 K's. You know, those Manmukhs who compete with Guru Gobind Singh Ji himself by trying to say that Sikhs don't need to do what Guru Gobind Singh Ji did, and told us to do, ey?

By the way, are you a brother or a sister?

Yes, Or even worse - they could be the Manmukhs who say that "Guru Gobind Singh Ji was wasting his time when he took Amrit from the Panj Piyare, and did not cut his hair, and wore the 5 K's. You know, those Manmukhs who compete with Guru Gobind Singh Ji himself by trying to say that Sikhs don't need to do what Guru Gobind Singh Ji did, and told us to do, ey?

By the way, are you a brother or a sister?

You really do need to stop putting words in my mouth. Are you suggesting I am - for one second - saying what you wrote above?

Either you've done it innocently without understanding that the above response is suggesting I believe in such things, OR you've done it deliberately to cause trouble. So which one is it?

Also, in what I've written in my original post what is so wrong that has so obviously upset you? The belief that its important to not only look the part of a Sikh but also be a Sikh from within? Is this wrong?

I agree we've got to keep the quality, not just the quantity.

What are your views on non-Sikhs coming into Sikh as full Amritdhari Sikhs?

well we should stick to our original traditional ways by not doing missionary work. we pride ourselves in that we have grew into such a large religion without the islamic and christian tatics of missionary work. now thats something that attract intellectuals towards sikhi. alternatively, we should set great examples of sikhi ourselves by practicing, living and breathing sikhi as others look on and wonder who are these amazing people and what makes them so special?

well we should stick to our original traditional ways by not doing missionary work. we pride ourselves in that we have grew into such a large religion without the islamic and christian tatics of missionary work. now thats something that attract intellectuals towards sikhi. alternatively, we should set great examples of sikhi ourselves by practicing, living and breathing sikhi as others look on and wonder who are these amazing people and what makes them so special?

Very well put! As long as we have something in place for the intellectuals who are attracted to Sikhi to make them feel welcome! It would be a terrible shame if people wanted to come into Sikhi but then moved away from Guru Ji, due to us being unwelcoming.

I agree about your point about Sikhs not trying to pull people away from their own religions.. You're right we should be proud of that!!!:D