Satkaar Campaign Live On Sikh Channel

Satkaar

enjoyed the show especially the sisters passion and articulation of the need to remove party halls frm the gurdwara.

Only disspointment was that it started late a bit unprofessional of the sikh channel to mess around with the time and that people couldn't text or call in,think you probably should have talked more about the current campaign more as well and the success's you have gained and the fight you are facing in places like dudley.

I hope this is constructive

enjoyed the show especially the sisters passion and articulation of the need to remove party halls frm the gurdwara.

Only disspointment was that it started late a bit unprofessional of the sikh channel to mess around with the time and that people couldn't text or call in,think you probably should have talked more about the current campaign more as well and the success's you have gained and the fight you are facing in places like dudley.

I hope this is constructive

I fully agree. The discussion show format was not used to the fullest potential.

However, the content came in the remit of an educational programme so the focus was more towards parchaar of Satkaar as a pose to the Satkaar Campaign specific issues. Also indirect pressure from some of the influential self appointed community leaders would have meant that Sikh Channel were pressurised into "dumbing" down the issues of the Gurdwara committee party hall beadbi. What you saw last night was a result of that. All in all, the programme touched the issues but not in the true depth which most of us would have desired. I think the Sikh media is still forced to tread very cautiously and remain non-controversial by the influentual powers above.

The show was on the whole very good, and highlighted a lot of good issues. Were a couple of issues though with Sikh Channels handling of the show...At the start they played the 2 video clips in the wrong order with the Shera indident in India so you couldnt tell what was going on. Halfway through the show, the phonelines went down..so callers couldnt call in to the show...

There was also a couple of points I didnt really agree..with. They were saying that if Sangat wanted to know about alternative halls to use for functions other than the Gurdwara halls they should ask the Gurdwara commitees (to suggest halls where meat/sharaab etc..is allowed). Why ?? The official line should be..that it's anti Gurmat....dont do it full stop,...If you want to do these activities, find your own resources,,,Commitees or Gurdwaras shouldnt suggest alternative venues either..

Also the Satkaar lot were saying...some commitees were asking them if they cant do partys they loose income...One of the Satkaar guys response was...to build low cost acomodation for students instead... Personaly I think that Gurdwaras should be centres of parchaar...they are not commercial entities and as such should have no intrest in generating income or making profit...

Minor points though...on the whole a great discussion and good show..

I thought the show was brilliant!!

Not only did it address the issue of Satkar re halls etc. But more importantly it gave the Sikh Children a lesson on Satkar of Guru Ji in general. We are always complaining that the Gurdwara don't share Sikhi with the English Born Children enough. Even the ones who can speak Punjabi can't understand the Katha (which is always brilliant but in very advanced Punjabi).

My Children were all fixed to the telly. They don't usually listen to the English Programmes on the Sikh Channels like the 'hub' etc but they were riveted to this programme because it was real Sikhs talking in plain everyday English.

I was inspired too. Great Host, Great Panel, Great Audience!

Go go go Satkar Campaign. More programmes like this please!

These English Programmes will inspire children to learn about Sikhi, Gurbani, and then Punjabi will follow by itself then !!!

Great Job done by all !!!!:D :waheguru:

The show was on the whole very good, and highlighted a lot of good issues. Were a couple of issues though with Sikh Channels handling of the show...At the start they played the 2 video clips in the wrong order with the Shera indident in India so you couldnt tell what was going on. Halfway through the show, the phonelines went down..so callers couldnt call in to the show...

There was also a couple of points I didnt really agree..with. They were saying that if Sangat wanted to know about alternative halls to use for functions other than the Gurdwara halls they should ask the Gurdwara commitees (to suggest halls where meat/sharaab etc..is allowed). Why ?? The official line should be..that it's anti Gurmat....dont do it full stop,...If you want to do these activities, find your own resources,,,Commitees or Gurdwaras shouldnt suggest alternative venues either..

Also the Satkaar lot were saying...some commitees were asking them if they cant do partys they loose income...One of the Satkaar guys response was...to build low cost acomodation for students instead... Personaly I think that Gurdwaras should be centres of parchaar...they are not commercial entities and as such should have no intrest in generating income or making profit...

Yep. 100% with you. The focus of the gurdwara are the core activities around Guru Granh Sahib Ji Maharaj. No gursikh should even promote the consumption of meat, alcohol and parties even by helping someone book a hall.

There were good points raised and overall a good show. Sikh Channel deserve a pat on the back for this one. Bring on more youth discussion show with kam singh, a good panel and vocal audience.

There should be a follow up show which focuses on the actual issues and the actual problems with the masand, sorry i mean committees who do the beadbi of sikhi by pushing their sangat to drink alcohol.

I thought the show was excellent. The presenter, panel and audience all made very valid points. I disagreed with some of the points certain people made, but in the big scheme of things, this was minor compared to the bigger message conveyed.

I thought the show gave the background to the Satkaar Campaign really well, i.e., the reason for having Satkaar for Guroo Jee. If we can change peoples' ideologies as to what a Gurdwara's about, they will themselves realise that meat and booze have no place in a Gurdwara. There has to be a combination of direct action/protests against corrupt committees and raising awareness/education in the general Sangat. The show did the latter very well, especially the non-amritdhari Penji that spoke with such emotion.

I've been watching the youth show for the last few weeks now, and it really puts forward the youth viewpoint very well. Always very educational. There will no doubt be pressure by vested interests and corrupt committees to keep shows like this off the air. Off air, I've even heard one of the main presenters, a so-called Sikh "leader" make the comments that the youth are always divisive against elders and splitting the Panth. What a load of baloney!!! Why are these "leaders" so scared of saying the truth that Guroo Jee teaches us?

Sikh Channel must continue by sticking to the truth. In the longer-term, this will be for the benefit of the channel.

I've been watching the youth show for the last few weeks now, and it really puts forward the youth viewpoint very well. Always very educational. There will no doubt be pressure by vested interests and corrupt committees to keep shows like this off the air. Off air, I've even heard one of the main presenters, a so-called Sikh "leader" make the comments that the youth are always divisive against elders and splitting the Panth. What a load of baloney!!! Why are these "leaders" so scared of saying the truth that Guroo Jee teaches us?

Sikh Channel must continue by sticking to the truth. In the longer-term, this will be for the benefit of the channel.

There are very few opportunities for youth to voice their concerns regarding Sikh issues contrary to what the geriatric Jathebhandis and Gurdwara committees claim who monopolise the committee, media and kursiya in the Gurdwaras. This is why sikhsangat.com is currently seen as such a powerful media as it is represents a Sikh Youth voice, which other forms of media do not.

Sikh Channel, Sangat TV and Sikh TV have to understand the need to ensure there is a young voice being projected in the Panth. The topical type youth show is a necessary format and I understand there maybe pressure from a the influential elders to stop this programme due to the content of some of discussions so far. It's laughable that these professional complainers have time to complain about minor issues when youth are allowed to voice their opinion. Yet they do not see the need for discussion of real life relevant topics. No wonder why we remain stagnant..

I strongly request Sikh Channel keep pushing these types of shows on the primetime slota so that real youth topical issues can be discussed regardless of the opposition.