Akali Nihang Turban On Dsiplay At The British Museum

GSMANN

I think it's unbelievably disrespectful.

"It is unclear how long this turban has been in the Museum's collection, but it originally dates from the late 19th century and had come to London by the early 1900s. The turban displayed weapons, including two double-edged swords, six throwing discs, and one dagger, and a badge of the 45th Rattray's Sikh Battalion, which eventually became the 3rd Battalion Sikh Regiment of the present-day Indian Army."

A Nihang Singh would have never handed over his Dastar, no Singh would have removed Dastar without unraveling it. Moreover, the Boonga would have been inter-twined with the kesh.

If it belongs to this era, and to the Nihang misle, then the Singh would have become shaheed at the hands of gora tyrants, and they kept his Dastar as a souvenir.

Waheguru, you're right. According to puratan rehit you never remove a Dastar like a 'topi', instead you remove it lard from lard.

Veer ji, if you don't mind, i'm posting your comment cited with your name on SikhNugget...

Read the whole article and use your brain before having a hissy fit

"The cloth in the original turban is now so fragile that Museum experts have had to use new fabric to display the weapons and badge. Members of the Sikh community, working closely with the Museum’s experts, have reconstructed how it would have looked using traditional tying techniques and 37 metres of cloth."

Doesn't change anything. Original was still there.

Read the whole article and use your brain before having a hissy fit

Wjkk Wjkf Mr Brains,

The article suggests they had bought over the original dastar in early 1900's. That particular dastar had disintergrated, now they reconstructed it.

Would they have bought over an unraveled turban? which essentially would have been just cloth to them? and then 2nd guessed that was a Nihang singhs dastar? no.. They bought over a Nihang singhs dastar, which become to fragile and was reconstructed.

Any how, to me it the way its pedestaled looks very disrespectful.

They came into our homeland, killed our brothers, distorted our bani, looted us, split our homeland in 2, took our crown back and pedestaled it for the world to marvel at. Thats the way I see it, but each to their own eh?

This is the original one:

Nihang-2.jpg

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm afraid you have made a factual mistake. The wearer of this dastar could not have been killed by the "gora tyrants" as he was fighting for them within the Rattray Batallion, hence the Rattray badge which is a part of the dastar. How the dastar got here in one piece is unknown, but we can make educated guesses. Quite contrary to some of the sentiments posted here, the fact that it has been preserved as it originally was shows a great amount of respect in my humble opinion, not disrespect.

Many people across the World feel aggrieved that relics and artefacts from their history now sit within collections around the UK in particular, but those are the spoils that go to the victor... and the British Empire controlled a huge amount of the World, not just the Punjab, from which they took and importantly preserved numerous objects. I welcome such displays and exhibitions today that help to portray who we Sikhs are to the wider public. It is also important that these exhibitions go ahead so as to educate people about our history, including unfortunately so many Sikhs who do not know our own history.

I am responding here from a personal perspective in my capacity of running Naujawani.com, but if anyone would like to express any concerns about this exhibition further, I would be happy to field your calls in my capacity as Press Officer (voluntary) for the Sikh Education Council which is ONE of the Sikh community partners in bringing this exhibition to the public. You can find my contact details at the SEC website.

Just abit of advice please do a bit of research (not just google because anyone can make a webpage with their views), and get FACTS, before jumping to your own conclusions.

Also many youngsters on here one minute somethings cool, someone then tells them this or that contradictory then its like 'my bad' but then if someone tells them something contradicting the contradictory point its like OHHH! but I made a mistake because someone said this........, Benti to all please read up more than one source and come to your own conclusions.

I feel the museums in UK should have more Sikh related exhibits.