Akali Nihang Turban On Dsiplay At The British Museum

GSMANN

Just abit of advice please do a bit of research (not just google because anyone can make a webpage with their views), and get FACTS, before jumping to your own conclusions.

I feel the museums in UK should have more Sikh related exhibits.

Sikhs should go into museums, galleries and other institutions of learning because that is what we are: learners, students, absorbers of knowledge. If we do, these institutions might begin to showcase more of our heritage that is in their possession.

Sikhs should also take time to learn their history. And as you beautifully suggest gurdssingh, not just through google! :)

Please do not take offence, but do take the advice: open a book or two and read. It's amazing!

Quite intresting how this Akali-Nihang Dastaar ended up with a british army regiment badge on it... The vast majority of Akali Nihangs were fiercely anti-british and after the anglo-sikh wars were hunted down and shot by the British for refusing to down ther weapons, during the time weapons were banned in Punjab...

They might have maybe stolen the Dastaar from a Nihang who became shaheed fighting against the British, I doubt the wearer was actually fighting for the british regiment,...

Agreed.

I'm all for preserving and promoting our history culture etc.

But we must simultaneously highlight the bloodshed during this period. The atrocities the British carried out on the Panth.

We need to make one thing clear, yes these artifacts are now being promoted to bring awareness to our history.

But they were all stolen. Vast Wealth, Diamonds, Guru Maharaj's Kalgi, Purtan Saroops etc.. These our OURS..

Everyone has their own opinion about the Dastar. My opinion may not coincide with Sikhi principles, but of Punjabi pride. I see the dastar as our Izzat. And if someone had come into my house, taken my possessions, and then paraded my Dad's dastar for the world to gorp at, i'd find that insulting...

Like I said before, No Nihang Singh would have handed over his Dastar, or removed it without unraveling it. More likely Singh sahib was part of anti-brit misles last remaining of the Khalsa raaj battalions.

I find it funny that our people would believe what the goreh write, they not going to say "well this piece of turban comes from the early 1900's when we shot those annoying Sikhs in the forehead and stole their wealth, spices and artifacts".

Theres plenty of photos of Rattray Batallion regiment. They are in full uniform, uniformed turbans issued by the british. No Nihang Singhs who would have not worn that uniform anyway. In fact, the Rattray Batallion main purpose was to kill of the mutiny, i.e. the remaining Sikh misles of Shere-e-Panjab.

Can you honestly see a Nihang Singh part of that battalion to kill the remaining singh fauj?

The Gorah raaj was totally built on propaganda, lies, deceit, back-stabbing dividing and conquering.. Why would I believe what their article says about a Dastar, when I know the rehit the Nihang Singhs would have adhered to?

These museum events should portray a fair representation of that era. Including artifacts, historical accounts of British atrocities.

I for one would not encourage any Sikh youth to go to these events to look at items stole from us, unless they planning on stealing them back.

But each to their own. Everyone has their own valid opinions. And theres no need to get your egos busted over one persons comment. If you disagree then say so, without coming across all insulted.

Sikhs should go into museums, galleries and other institutions of learning because that is what we are: learners, students, absorbers of knowledge.

opposed to absorbers of propaganda?

If we do, these institutions might begin to showcase more of our heritage that is in their possession.

More heritage? meaning stolen goods, they should do a Crime watch special

Sikhs should also take time to learn their history. And as you beautifully suggest gurdssingh, not just through google! :)

why not? google is as fair representation of both sides as your going to get. unpublished work, articles in punjabi, peoples opinons, where else are you going to find all that in one place?

Please do not take offence, but do take the advice: open a book or two and read. It's amazing!

Really? your knowledge and ability to absorb an era in its entirety and deduce an unbiased neutral opinion is amazing. Whilst accounting for manipulation and distortion at the hands of dictators and inabilities of an enslaved nation to document their accounts efficiently because they were too busy getting killed is wonderful. Maybe hit more of those amazing books of yours?

Singho

Here's a picture of a Nihang Singh who was a part of the British army, and has incorperated many Akaali emblems into his dastaar. Also he has medals of honour, so he must have been a very brave man.

post-4041-0-24865200-1297886024_thumb.jp

I think things have happened to the panth that we are only really beginning to understand in a more wider context now. I think a lot of these types of things took place during the British colonial period that we are only waking up to now. Contrary to how 'mental ghulam' types represent things (with their 'proud sepoy' type stance), it WAS a period of ghulamy for Sikhs. One that has cost us so dearly, in so many ways, till this day.

Today I notice that the British establishment is subtly pushing the old 'Sikh martial race' agenda. We know our people were warriors from our clashes with Moghuls, Afghans etc. long before whites turned up on the subcontinent to try and enslave it. Some of us are not that clueless that we need them to teach us what we are. In any case, given that they seemed to have bitten off more than they can chew in Iraq and Afghanistan these days, it appears as if they are now trying to 'boost up' Sikhs in connection to serving the British cause/agenda by playing on this history.

No doubt some of our less ethical and intelligent brothers/sisters will fall for this propaganda hook, line and sinker.

Funny how, when it comes to kharkoo bravery or matters of Sikh independence they go all quiet and ignore it or call it 'terrorism'.

Overall, I think we need to move away from the whole narrative of the colonial period, and see it for what it really was for us as a quom. Which was a type of soft slavery and the precursor of our military and political fall. Something that hurts us to this day.

Highlight our history Mr. England sure, but please don't try and manipulate it to get our people fighting your battles for you - again. Too many Sikhs have already needlessly died for the 'white man's burden'. Forgive us for looking after our own interests instead of yours (for a change).