How To Handle Compliments As A Sikh

Guest **

wjkk wjkf

with guru sahibs mahaan kirpa this pile of dirt has been getting a lot of compliments from the general public, people saying " you are beautiful" " you are elegant" " you are very pretty" " i did a double take" etc

daas feels very guilty because this is guru sahibs kirpa, the grace of the dastaar and blessings of our 10th guru sahib who blessed us with the saroop of a sikh, some guys my age who arent sikh ( different race and religion) have also been giving me comments but they are less innocent and more "flirty", how can i respond to all of these people? My dad says it is good to tell them that what u see isnt me but a blessing of god because everywhere i go he is with me and thats what u see radiating from me, but he said it in punjabi so i dont know if that sounds egotistical in english or if its appropriate, any help from the sangat as to how to approach these situations will be greatly appreciated.

wjkk wjkf!

Someone's fishing for compliments. :D

Seriously, tell them to go away and stop polluting your presence with their kaljugi tendencies. Only God's praise is considered worthy - human praise is meaningless as with the same tongue that showers a person with praise, in the next minute it is capable of cursing you to Hell.

say "god bless you", each time someone compliments you? if you feel people are flirting with you, its probably best to stay clear of these people if you can. If you have no choice but to talk with them (as they may be work or colleagues), make sure its clear to them that you are a sikh of guru gobind singh ji. ultimately an ardaas to guruji for help is appropriate.

just my advice, not sure if it will help

• 8 months later...
Guest Martial art Gatka
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh... compliment should always be sincere and honest.,compliments are often so rare that people don’t even know how to respond well to them.in your case i think you say,,,,,,,..“I know i am beautiful",elegant and very pretty. Are you feel jealous?”

I think rather than telling other people that its all due to GOD's GRACE, first you have to realise this yourself by heart. If you truly realise that, you won't be having any problem as then u will realise that they are complimenting Guru ji's radiance not yours. You keep separation with that.

When someone gives you a compliment, simply smile at them. However, in your mind say

quDu AwgY Ardwis hmwrI jIau ipMfu sBu qyrw ]

thudhh aagai aradhaas hamaaree jeeo pi(n)dd sabh thaeraa ||

I offer my prayer to You; my body and soul are all Yours.

khu nwnk sB qyrI vifAweI koeI nwau n jwxY myrw ]4]10]49]

kahu naanak sabh thaeree vaddiaaee koee naao n jaanai maeraa ||4||10||49||

Says Nanak, this is all Your greatness; no one even knows my name. ||4||10||49||