Clubbing, Bhangra, Etc

Guest Kaur 90

Guest Kaur 90

Hi

I'm not into Sikhi yet but the other day I went to my Sikh soc talk and the speaker was saying it's ok go clubbing, and nothing wrong with Bhangra. My family aren't religious but my cousins are and they said it's wrong.

I'm confused! The talk was called Love, Sex & Magic... After Marriage?

This speaker is 100% wrong and in my opinion should be slapped across the face for saying such things. Some might say thats harsh, but when you set up a meeting and place yourself as a speaker for Sikhi and you reinforce to the youth and others that clubbing and bhangra have nothing wrong with them, then you deserve lot more than just a smack across the face. I'm surprised no one stood up in the middle of this speakers manmat discourse and told him/her, what they said is wrong. These coward speakers prey on gullible university students.

Like everyone is asking, who was this speaker?

Guest fellow singh

NOPE ITS TRUE

was at the talk too.....

the speaker was singh called sodhi singh (from gravesend) and his co-speaker was Balkaar Singh Shergill (seen around the nihang scene in the UK quite a lot)

sodhi singh i believe he was involved in sikh student camp too and is a close friend of bobs?

Guest Sikh_Soc Brookes

WJKK WJKF,

I'd like to just make a simple point that the speaker most definitely did not say that clubbing is ok and neither did he say that divorce is ok. Moreover, those who wish to criticise the society and other sikh societies may wish to come down and help us improve our events instead of pointlessly slandering them on these forums. There is a shortage of speakers these days and we would gladly welcome any help or suggestions for improvements. Finally, there is always a chance to discuss events in the following week, as our regular sikh soc members will know, therefore we look forward to meeting kaur 90, fellow singh, and anyone else who wishes to discuss the event during our next meeting.

Rab Rakha.

WJKK WJKF.

Vaheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguroo Ji KI Fateh

On behalf of the Oxford Brookes Sikh Society Committee, I would like to make a statement.

We are saddened that a member of the society does not feel comfortable enough to come forward with their questions or comments and would like to emphasise that they are free to do so at any time in an open and friendly atmosphere.

OBUsikhsoc have a guest speaker every few months to speak about issues which the committee (and usually the members) feel affect the sikh youth/students. After each event, the follow up meeting (held a week later) is an open forum for discussion and commentary regarding what was spoken about in the lecture. Criticism, is encouraged. We achknowledge that our speakers are only human and may sometimes bring their own views/opinions into the discussion.

We feel that much of what has been written here has been taken out of context/the writer may have misunderstood the Speaker.

However, if you still feel that this is not the case, then please come forward to speak to us directly so that we can sit down and analyse this together.

THanks

Vaheguroo Ji Ka KHalsa Vaheguroo Ji Ki Fateh