Gut-Wrenching Feeling & Scared

Sikhistan

going thru gut-wrenching feeling and heart sinks jado soochda kih mera anmol manukhi janam hatho(hands) khisk rehaya and doing nothing about it.... too lazy to be religious active but at the same time hella scared picturing myself facing dharam raj.. need to be serious as like 35 to 40% of my life term is already wasted doing not too much.. (considering if i live avg life expectancy of 78)..

Anyone feeling same way?

very good post!!

yes i have felt like this for a long while now. basically what this means is that you are acquiring gyaan (knowlwdge). the question now is what you are going to do with this realisation. Are you going to actually do something and make your life actually more prosperous. Satguru states: gur ki mat tu leh eayaneh, bagat bina bo dubeh syaneh - Follow the Gurus path, without bhagti many wise people have died(sukhmani sahib) or are you going to just live with the realization you have that life is being wasted in fruitless pursuits such as work/careers.

In Sikhism there are 4 padarath.

1. Janam padarth - gift of life

2. Naam padarath - gift of naam/bhagti

3. Gyan Padarath - gift of knowledge of all things

4. Sehaj padarath -gift of self realization

Veer Ji look at Baba Deep Singh Ji who lived up to age 75 and accomplished so much until the very end and then Banda Singh Ji Bahadur who took amrit from Guru Gobind Singh Ji at age 38.

You're young and Guru Ji would want nothing other than his Singh to be happy and filled with chardi kalaa! Try to change whatever it is in your lifestyle that you think is making you feel that way!

All the best.

You could start by replacing the things you know are a waste of time. Some people start by replacing the following first:

• watching telly (unless it's the Sikh Channels or Sikh Radio, or educational programs in general)
  • Going to Pubs and Clubs
  • shopping for luxuries you don't need
  • gaming, (unless it's exercise - keep exercising).
  • reading magazines and papers etc.

If you make a list of the time spent on the above you'll find you've got loads of time to learn about Sikhi. Anytime spent at the Gurdwara is not wasted (all the more so if you understand Punjabi)'

Cut the things out that you think are a waste of time and replace them with Sikhi. Whether that be listing to Kirtan, Katha, paath, watching the Sikh channels, or listening to radio, or reading your history (you will benefit from all). It's very easy if you sit down and think about the time you waste (Work for a living and exercising are not wasting you time!).

If you want a really easy way to make more of your time just switch over to any of these channels on Satelite/Sky. It's so easy, all you have to do is sit back and watch and listen:

I agree with eliminating activities that are against Sikhi and are non-Gurmat.

However, I'm not of the school of thought that prescribes to the notion that personal hobbies or interests should be prohibited - again, as long these hobbies or interests do not clash with the rules of Sikhi.

A person needs to grow as an individual, and needs to have an active, multi-faceted understanding of life. The importance of gaining knowledge in a wide area of issues is absolutely essential for not only the individual but also the collective Sikh community, for are we not all Sikhs, i.e. students, and as such should we not try to learn as much as we can of everything that life has to offer?

Certain activities bring joy to the heart such as drawing, reading, painting, certain types of music, etc. These aren't a waste of time IMO. But yes, the overriding feature of one's life should be that journey towards Sikhi, but not at the expense of the things in life which bring us joy on a personal level, and enrich our minds making us better human beings.

We would be capable of spreading the word about our glorious faith to the wider world, instead of being cocooned and entrenched in our own sub-groups and our familial lifestyles thinking "To hell with everyone else. As long as I get to Sachkhand, my brothers and sisters on this earth can do whatever they want. Not my problem."

I agree with eliminating activities that are against Sikhi and are non-Gurmat.

However, I'm not of the school of thought that prescribes to the notion that personal hobbies or interests should be prohibited - again, as long these hobbies or interests do not clash with the rules of Sikhi.

A person needs to grow as an individual, and needs to have an active, multi-faceted understanding of life. The importance of gaining knowledge in a wide area of issues is absolutely essential for not only the individual but also the collective Sikh community, for are we not all Sikhs, i.e. students, and as such should we not try to learn as much as we can of everything that life has to offer?

Certain activities bring joy to the heart such as drawing, reading, painting, certain types of music, etc. These aren't a waste of time IMO. But yes, the overriding feature of one's life should be that journey towards Sikhi, but not at the expense of the things in life which bring us joy on a personal level, and enrich our minds making us better human beings.

We would be capable of spreading the word about our glorious faith to the wider world, instead of being cocooned and entrenched in our own sub-groups and our familial lifestyles thinking "To hell with everyone else. As long as I get to Sachkhand, my brothers and sisters on this earth can do whatever they want. Not my problem."

Good points!

Anything that does not harm you, or anyone else, and helps you learn about other cultures and religion is a good thing. Especially, if it does not involve a Sikh giving up the beliefs and moral principles the Guru's gave us.:waheguru:

Good points!

Anything that does not harm you, or anyone else, and helps you learn about other cultures and religion is a good thing. Especially, if it does not involve a Sikh giving up the beliefs and moral principles the Guru's gave us.:waheguru:

The best thing is that ultimately after learning everything you wish to learn, you'll realise the beauty in our faith, and you'll see how everything good, pure and honourable in the world can be related to Sikhi.

• 2 weeks later...

I've felt it for the longest time. Your in a good need of balance. Easier said than done. Balance you intellectual, emotional, and movement/body brain. So read gurbani and understand what is being said. Feel the love and power of your Guru. Practice sitting and doing simran. Make your daily life a conscious one by recognizing where you might be going wrong.

I've brought only a little bit of information here from what was a 2 hour lecture that I listened to. If you would like to hear it then I will gladly send it to you =)

We usually feel down when we are totally out of balance. How is your amritvela? Its a good starting point for someone who's feeling down and scared about the future. That and staying absolutely positive no matter what....again, easier said than done. But that doesn't mean its impossible right? Take one day at a time.

Veer Ji look at Baba Deep Singh Ji who lived up to age 75 and accomplished so much until the very end and then Banda Singh Ji Bahadur who took amrit from Guru Gobind Singh Ji at age 38.

You're young and Guru Ji would want nothing other than his Singh to be happy and filled with chardi kalaa! Try to change whatever it is in your lifestyle that you think is making you feel that way!

All the best.

And Guru Amardas ji got Gurdaddi at the age of 72.

sometimes it's hard to get a move on to doing things related to sikh jeevan. this is when sangat is a huge help. doing REGULAR simran/kirtan/paath or seva with sangat gives a person an energy boost that over time will make it easier to be disciplined and to walk the Guru's marag. also, doing an ardaass pledging more effort to Guru ji if maharaj gives the kirpa and then really seriously trying will help a person out a lot. it's okay to just do one or two changes at a time.