Marriage

Avtar95

Strictly speaking, shouldn't Sikhs (moreso Gursikhs) marry only Sikhs? I'm not saying this from a discrimanatory point of view, but purely from what we've been instructed? Marrying a Sikh (or someone who becomes a Sikh before marriage) means you're more likely to follow your own faith.

For example, if you're in a boat and the two rowers are pulling in the same direction, you're most likely to reach that destination together. But if one rower wants to go somewhere else, and the other wishes to reach another destination you won't get anywhere at all.

I'm not propagating one or the other - I'm just relaying what I've read on this site. If you were to push me on the subject, I would say it is preferable to attempt to find a Sikh for marriage. But its not a perfect world so that's when the anomalies being occuring.

Why what do you think of different religion couples and there kids?

I don't think anything about them, to be honest. But I know for a fact those kids won't grow up to be devoted Sikhs, or if not devoted then at least interested in Sikhi. Yes, there'll be the odd freak case where the child will discover Sikhi by their own volition, but it won't be because of the contribution of their parents. If you're insinuating whether I consider these people to be lesser human beings, then no. I'm not that closed minded or ignorant.

Most people in the world are better than you or I. Who am I to sit in judgement of how they choose to live their lives? But I can have my own opinions. Whether my opinions are correct will remain to be seen.

In the past some sikhs would marry into hindus without a problem but in recent times there has been more fundamentalising faiths especially after 1947 which resulted from divide and conquer that the british did. Muslims would never marry a kaffir. If you are not a really religious sikh who does not practice and does not really want to but is ready to marry x,y and z, then stay away from marrying pakistani and afghanistan muslims- they will come after you with there honour killings or convert you or make your life a living hell, if your that brave be my guest watch the results yourself- most will sleep around, hindus, sikhs and muslims do sleep around with each other but they do not tell people- that's just how things like mtv get to people, it only ruins there future in terms of a family life and real love in family because they will only know lust and there kids will do the same and they will loose there kids.

Alebenian muslims (maybe turkish and iranians) probably do not care but you can really marry out. But it will ruin your own religion and your kids. Also it will be much worse on your spouse then you whatever people may end up doing, people like hindus and sikhs who do end up in relationships with them have to go through hell it is not worth it, otherwise hindus, christians, atheiests, agnostics buddhist pretty much would not care if you married them but you would not be able to force your beliefs on them so you may loose your religion in marrying out.

The Akal takht past a formalised rehat saying sikh can only marry a sikh as in the past sikhs were only properly amrithdharis and they would marry amritdharis anyone else who had satkar for sikhi and guru nanak from another dharam islam or hinduism they would still marry into there own tribes and castes etc. Things have changed now, a sikh should only marry a sikh considering how small of a population we are and practices we have.

The whole point of marrying in sikhi is to attain god, bhai gurdas ji says a women is the door to salvation, a sikh women is generally loyal, and can be a true mother. Even though alot of sikh girls have gone mad, become sluts or converting or doing drugs, alot are falling into negative categories but it is the same for guys as well.That is if we want to blame is the media, families, peer pressure, crap parchar (and parcharaks), upna organising raves and going there in big numbers to have the rest follow like sheep, plus lots of money and responsibility, old people in gurdwaras kicking kids out and making gurdwaras a bad time for kids, and the downfall of family values in the west on the whole- like not living with parents-in the uk on avg. a kid by the age of 16 sleeps with 3 people- sikhs tend to do alot of stuff and hide it etc.

Akaal

Here is my personal opinion

There is no reason why it should be "wrong" to marry out of religion. Think about it, a marriage is a unification of two souls. Souls are a piece of god and do not have a religion, caste, creed, race or gender. Any two souls can unite.

Secondly, the idea of a marriage is to unify souls and then help your partner progress spiritually. There is nothing to say that a person can not help their partner progress spiritually just because they are from a different religion. Bare in mind that dharamraja will not judge you on your religion, but your kamai, karma and spirituality as no religion is inferior to another or "bad".

If you are thinking of marrying a hindu, then it may not be such a problem as usually hindus do not mind engaging in all sikh practices. If your partner asks you to engage in hindu practices, and this is something that you yourself personally do not mind, then that is fine and okay. If however you object, you may need to talk that over with your partner.

The issue arises with bringing up children. You will have to decide with your partner what you will bring your children up as. That is entirely up to you and your partner and for no one else to judge.

Once you have decided that, I personally see no reason as to why you cannot marry someone from a different religion. Just make it so that you do not fight with each other in later life about how to bring up children etc.

I myself know plenty of couples who are from different religions and everything is fine and completely normal.

This is just my opinion, I am not particularly bothered if someone disagrees as every man is his own religion and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Anyone who disagrees has that right to do so.

Akaal