Bibis Looking Like Muslims

Guest gupt

With all due respect bhaji, you have probably never worn a chunni (I hope not anyway :p) so you may not fully understand why so many of us choose to wear chunnia over our dastaars :)

All I'm going to say is that a chunni provides a little more modesty than usual which is unfortunately required these days. It can be worn "khilaar keh" a bit like a shawl which keep us covered up and makes me personally feel a lot more comfortable.

lol I understand penji it's your own choice but at times it's quite important to see the practicality of things, modesty etc. is very limited to this body, it's jsut a piece of cloth and yet people put so much emphasis on clothing or even modesty. I'm not saying that one should walk around to attract others attention but at the same time one shouldn't feel like they have to compromise practicality and basic living in order to follow what is really culture.

lol what makes you think I'm a Singh? :sleep: :happy:

Guest sjklhbdfdlakh

lol I understand penji it's your own choice but at times it's quite important to see the practicality of things, modesty etc. is very limited to this body, it's jsut a piece of cloth and yet people put so much emphasis on clothing or even modesty. I'm not saying that one should walk around to attract others attention but at the same time one shouldn't feel like they have to compromise practicality and basic living in order to follow what is really culture.

lol what makes you think I'm a Singh? :sleep: :happy:

Sorry, I just assumed! So, should I say bhenji? :)

I don't see how wearing a chunni is a compromise on practicality and basic living? I've never been in a situation where I have felt that my chunni is impractical..on the contrary, it prevents me from feeling self conscious which means I can get on with whatever I'm doing without worrying.

Oh well, I guess it's just different strokes for different folks.. :)

Dupatta or Chunni over Dastaar looks graceful and feminine.

Frankly without chunni girls look like Tomboys (which is not at all attractive).

Maybe singhnia don't care whether they look attractive or not (except to Vaheguroo jee). For me chunni is just impractical, because during keertan or any seva, it keeps getting on my way and i start fiddling with it and getting frustrated.. i just haven't learned how to wear it graciously like some of my sisters do. I used to wear chunni too until very recently, because people had told me to... but then i saw so many chardikalaa singhnis with just dastaars. To me dastaars/dumallas look so beautiful that i don't understand why they should be covered with chunni.

I doubt warriors like Mai Bhago wore chunni to battle like in the picture... it restricts free movements and may cover part of your vision... plus someone can just grab it and pull you off the horse.

Some feel more comfortable wearing chunni and some feel more comfortable without it. No judging needed.

Guest guest5

Dupatta or Chunni over Dastaar looks graceful and feminine.

Frankly without chunni girls look like Tomboys (which is not at all attractive).

I guess to you Guru Sahib made a mistake to give girls a dastar to wear and not a chunni with it because it looks boyish? Guru Sahib knows what makes our form complete and that is with a dastar because it is our crown. To wear a crown is royal, attractive and feminine enough, a chunni can’t add to that. But it is up to the singhni whether they wish to wear a chunni or not and we don’t need people like you to judge those singhnis who don't wear a chunni because we’re here to impress Guru Sahib, not people like you. If you don't find this roop appealing then you shouldn't even be a sikh because Guru Sahib's roop is just dastar and bana.

Just to add two cents to this topic,

I was listening to some katha about our beloved Mata Sahib Kaur Ji, and Mata Ji's height was around 6ft tall and she wore a huge yellow dummalla with two chakkers in it. When we mat were privalidged to speak to gaini ji he also told us, that singhs/singhniah were very hard to differentiate on a battle field.......he told us that singhiah were built like towers....this was also because some very special souls took birth as singhniah in Guru Gobind SIngh Ji's time to recieve mukhti.......

But behind the dastaar was some SERIOUS KAMAAI, i say this because this is where i too am failing in this jeevan,,,,,,,,,we may look the part, tie smart dastaarah/dumalleh/chunni/patkeh whatever......but what gives all this value is our value and keemat of rehat.......

The disapline and obenience that women had in their lifestyles, raini/baini in puratan times and some even today is amazing.......

Are we getting up for Amritvela regularly?

Are we making efforts to progress in our knowladge and understanding of sikhi?

Do we still remember why we took amrit?

Do we understand what amrit even is or its value?

A re we looking at the panj chor within ourselves before we seek to judge others?

I can truly look in the mirror and be disgusted with myself as on the outside i look the part, but the inside.....well....thats whole new topic to discuss in itself.....but lets just say....it aint pretty... :|

This is an idiotic topic.

Do you want Singhs to stop wearing dastaars because some Muslims, some Orthodox Christians, the Bobo Ashanti, touaregs etc also wear dastars?

The patka is not a Muslim dress, the burkha, hijab, niqab etc are. In many cultures where they keep their head covered, you'll find stuff resembling patkas, dastaars etc. There's only so many ways you can cover your head.

The chunni is even more widespread.

This is an idiotic topic.

Do you want Singhs to stop wearing dastaars because some Muslims, some Orthodox Christians, the Bobo Ashanti, touaregs etc also wear dastars?

The patka is not a Muslim dress, the burkha, hijab, niqab etc are. In many cultures where they keep their head covered, you'll find stuff resembling patkas, dastaars etc. There's only so many ways you can cover your head.

The chunni is even more widespread.

The point of my original post was that yes there are similar head coverings in other faiths but Guru Sahib has clearly given us BOTH men and women a dastar and also specific ways of tying it and in particular colours, so I am saying we should only wear those dastar shapes and colours that are part and parcel of Gursikhi and are not to be found worn by others. For example a singh wearing a dumalla which starts to resemble a rasta because of a backward boonga would be wrong.However, even then its unlikely for anyone to confuse the singh to be anything other than sikh unless they are totally ignorant, while on the other hand with bibis wearing patke (which were not given to us by maharaj) that is identical to something that muslims wear. For that reason bibia should also wear full dastars/keski with joora not slanting back, in a khalsa colour, then they have done their bit to differentiate their physical appearance from all others and any identification problems by others after that would be due to that other person's ignorance.

Also, once more I'd like to clarify that I am NOT speaking against the wearing of chunnis. Infact I believe chunni is an important part of female bana (apart from in jang). What I AM saying is that if a bibi ties a proper dastar/keski with the joora in the correct position on the top of the head and in a khalsa colour whether or not she is wearing a chunni on top she will STILL look 100% Sikh. This is proved by the pictures I posted earlier.

bhull chuk maaf

Guest guest5

Also, once more I'd like to clarify that I am NOT speaking against the wearing of chunnis. Infact I believe chunni is an important part of female bana (apart from in jang). What I AM saying is that if a bibi ties a proper dastar/keski with the joora in the correct position on the top of the head and in a khalsa colour whether or not she is wearing a chunni on top she will STILL look 100% Sikh. This is proved by the pictures I posted earlier.

Chunni important part of Female bana? I haven't heard of female bana. I've only heard of one bana for both male and females, a chunni comes with a suit, its never been part of bana. For a singh to say a singhni should wear a chunni out of modesty is no different to a muslim who expects women to cover themselves extra when they are already covered. Gurbani focuses on the matt(mind) so by taking its impurities away through naam bani, we wouldn't perv on our sisters. If the singhni wishes to wear a chunni out her own reasons then its up to her but singhs shouldn't have to say how a singhni should dress.

i mean we show more skin than prolly most muslim women do. they dont wear short sleeves.. because they cant show their arms..

to me showing arms wearing short sleeves is no problem it gets weird when its sleeveless lol but sikh girls would never wear sleeveless and yall know why!! :p

i wear black chuni with black dastaar all the time.. but i usually just wear black/blue dastaar.. i do prefer plain chunis over the printed ones.

i agree with harsimran kaur penji. dastaar w/o chunis look beautiful.. to me chuni isn't needed if you feel comfortable just with dastaar!! :D