Us Court Summons Congress Party On Sikh Riots Case

Sikh Steel

New Delhi, Mar.2 (ANI): A US Court has issued summons to the Congress party in India to answer charges of 'conspiring, aiding, abetting and carrying out organized attacks on the Sikh population in November 1984.

The US court acted on the case filled by the "Sikhs For Justice" (SFJ) a US based human rights group.

Informing from USA, the SFJ's legal advisor, Gurpatwant Singh Pannun, told ANI that the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York had issued summons against Congress (I) for conspiring, aiding, abetting and carrying out organized attacks on Sikh population of India in November 1984.

The summons against Congress have been issued pursuant to a class action lawsuit filed (SFJ v. Congress (I) SDNY (10 CV 2940)) under Alien Tort Claims Act (ATCA) and Torture Victim Protection Act (TVPA).

Terming the court action as a big achievement of SFJ, Pannun informed that according to the Government of India's record a total of 3296 Sikhs were killed and several others were injured during the Sikh Genocide in 1984 in through out the India.

According to the US court summons congress (I) party and Kamal Nath has to answer with the court within 21 days and if they fail to respond, judgments by default will be entered against congress (I) party for the relief demanded in the complaint. By Ravinder Singh Robin (ANI)

http://in.news.yahoo.com/us-court-summons-congress-party-sikh-riots-case-20110301-223813-195.html