Jhoota Food.

Singh559

There has been a fair amount of heated discussion related to this video by many SikhNet visitors and I just wanted to share an email response by Guruka Singh to clarify the message of the video...

Wahe Guru Ji ka Khalsa

Wahe Guru Ji ki Fateh!

Dear brother, greetings to you from sunny Española, New Mexico where I have gratefully read your email regarding the video we made about eating Jhoot food. Thank you for writing to us.

This video has a very specific purpose. It is not about Sarbloh Bibek, though that was mentioned. It is about the spirit in which things are done. Eating food is very different from wearing bana or meditation or reading banis. It is an activity that brings people together as equals. The one pot serves everyone, and from that pot comes oneness.

Neither is this video about “right” and “wrong,” which is a trap of the mind. Nothing is right or wrong except that thinking makes it so.

One of the common threads that runs through all of the SikhNet Inspirations videos is bringing attention to the widespread disease of people judging each other. This has done more to destroy the unity of the Panth than any other single thing.

The comment on Sarbloh Bibek was not anti-sarbloh. Nor was it about any particular rehit or self-discipline. It was about keeping oneself separate from the oneness of the Sadhsangat and creating division within it. Why not cook food for everyone in a large iron pot? Why just for you separate from others? The video is about inclusion and unity, not about the merits of eating food cooked in iron. The key word is “separate” not “iron.”

This post from gurmatbibek.com illustrates what I’m saying:

“Sarbloh Bibek is the biggest defense against assimilation with the worldly people. While our Dastaar, Baana, and our appearance too help us against assimilating with non-devotees but Sarbloh Bibek contributes even more towards non-assimilation. Unnecessary mingling with non-devotees is detrimental to the spiritual health of the true seeker of Vaheguru. Sarbloh Bibek along with Baana ensures that the seeker associates with devotees.”

I’m reminded of a story a Jewish girl told me that when she was in Hebrew school training for her ‘basmitzvah’ (ceremony of becoming an adult) the rabbi asked her, “why do Jews keep Kosher?” (separate pots, plates, etc. for dairy and non-dairy, no pork, etc.) she answered with a health answer ( the possibility of trichinosis and other diseases) and the Rabbi told her, “no, it’s so that when gentiles come to our houses, they feel uncomfortable.”

Let everyone eat according to their choice as they understand the reality to be. Let those who follow Sarbloh Bibek be blessed and let those who eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken be blessed. It is a personal choice to be respected as such. It is the human who counts. That’s why the video ends by saying “…the food is God, the person serving is God, the person receiving the food is God.”

All love in Divine, Guruka Singh