Tiger Skin?

Guest guptbhenji

Guest guptbhenji

WJKK WJKF

Bit confused but not sure where to ask.

I went to a Nanaksar gurdwara, nothing against the gurdwara, lovely, great and love the way they do path, question is pointless really, but just wondering why do Nanaksar gurdware have tiger skin in front of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji? Is it tiger skin or other, not even sure about this. tried looking on the net but not really found much on this topic.

thankuji

Guest hanji

You are not the first ones to raise these doubts. Many people during Baba Nand Singh Ji and Baba Ishar Singh jis time asked such questions and were satisfactorily answered.

Unfortunately I dont have the caliber of giving a perfect answer. But remember the story of Dusht Daman, the Durga Mata, the demons and how they were killed by the tigers that came out of tigerskin...details are fuzzy for me

Tiger skins were used by Baba Nand Singh Ji and Baba Ishar Singh ji as part of their meditation. Only a complete celibate has the right to sit on a tiger skin, others will be destroyed.

Tiger skin symbolizes the 'guard' in Gurus darbar... its symbol of royalty as well, and these skins were probably there from a long time, presented by the maharajas of Patiala.

And remember the qualities of a sher as well.

Guest guptbhenji

WJKK WJKF

thanku hanji for ur reply, I had no doubts, as Baba NAnd Singh were a bramgianee, if i said that rite, but was just wondering why, as I only see it in Nanaksar gurdwara, i thought maybe for decoration, but wanted to know whether there was a deeper meaning and reason for it.

thankuji for answering my question.

whaeguru ji ka khalsa whaeguru ji ki fathe

ive also heard that lion/tiger skins were used by sri maan sant baba nand singh ji for bhagthi in forests etc. THe lion/tiger are kings of the jungle and other animals are scared of them so the animals wont disturbe babaji when they were doing bhagthi. Cheetah skin was also used. But only brahmgyani should use these skins for bhagthi. just as 'hanji' said "Only a complete celibate has the right to sit on a tiger skin, others will be destroyed."

• 7 years later...
Guest Prabhdeep S Sidana

Baba Nand Singh ji used to say that deer/lion/lion skins were considered sacred and were used by saints right from the beginning. If any incomplete sadhu tried to imitate then the skins possess a property that if any vishayi purush/non-celibate dares to sit on it then during the course of time he/she will develop leprosy.

Whereas for celibate, it takes their meditations to the next levels. 

Bhul chul khima

16 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

surely Gurbani is above all this superstitious 'celibate' speak . Our Guru Sahiban were not too impressed by celibacy so why all it is such a feature in modern sikh circles?

how else would they create unique exclusivity for their separated group? if they told people that it was just a nice looking furniture gifted by people who had either collected dead animals skins or hunters - why would that attract any sheep?

No lets reframe it "ONLY A SUPER HUMAN CAN MEDITATE ON A TIGER SKIN, ONE THAT IS CELIBATE OR ONE WOULD BE DESTROYED".

Listen to yourselves, you're literally saying everyone else would be destroyed, the Gurus weren't celibate either..

I grew up around people who are like this, they turn almost any small detail in their sad validation seeking life and justify it with a higher purpose.