Sikh Turban Help

Punjabiboyz

Hi friends,

I have a problem and need help. The country i live in is creating problems for sikh turbans. All government offices have started humilating sikhs by asking us to remove our pag whenever they take official photoes. The sikh community is tired and i belief someone has written to the Government of india but no response. We do not want to remove our pag to take these photoes and this guys wnt take our photoes if we do not remove pag.

I need your help, do u know any organisation or government branch in India which has power to explain to the country government that this is agianst our sikh religion. The inidan embassy here has also acted uselessly and has not done anything. I think only government to government talks can solve the problem.

Please let me know whom i can contact for this issue.

Thanks alot.

My dad stayed in South Africa for few years (during late 80's).. He met few long lost generations of sikh families. Those ppl had no idea that they are sikhs.. their grandfather came to SA long time ago and their connection with sikhi and punjab was long gone.. My dad told them about our sikh dharam and inspired them to become sikh and helped them in building the first gurdwara sahib in SA.. I remember visiting that gurdwara's opening ceremony in 91 or 92.. Do you know Fateh Singh and Sunny Singh family?? (they are probably in late 50's/60's).. I am sure that they will help you out as they are very well connected and lived their whole life in that country.. Let me know if you need their contact information.

Thanks Tera paji, i shall try and write to them. I hope a solutions comes up. I was hoping the Indian govt can talk on sikhs behalf to tell them why our turban is important since they dont wana listen to us.

Yes Singh paji, i know Sunny uncle.

We are maybe between 50 to 60 families in southern africa i.e excluding Zambia and Zimbabawe cause i dont know the sikh families there. The figure i gave was for families in South Africa and Botswana. Very few families in South Africa compared to Botswana....Botswana has more sangat in terms of number of sikhs. We have four Gurudwaras here, one in Boswana and three in SOuth Africa.

Thanks Tera paji, i shall try and write to them. I hope a solutions comes up. I was hoping the Indian govt can talk on sikhs behalf to tell them why our turban is important since they dont wana listen to us.

Yes Singh paji, i know Sunny uncle. Actually this pag problem is kind of in the whole southern africa.

We are maybe between 50 to 60 families in southern africa i.e excluding Zambia and Zimbabawe cause i dont know the sikh families there. The figure i gave was for families in South Africa and Botswana. Very few families in South Africa compared to Botswana....Botswana has more sangat in terms of number of sikhs. We have four Gurudwaras here, one in Boswana and three in SOuth Africa. I actually live in Botswana, which is neighbours to SA but many people dont know it, so i just say South Africa as many people know it :-). But both SA and Bots sangat are awrae of this issue. I called an uncle today and he said he will try and talk 2 inidan high commissioner again.

Sikhs in Botswana are those that came in 1970's and after and most know thier roots. Indians in SOuth Africa were brought many years (early 1900) ago as labourers by colonists and many do not know thier roots even till now.

Ive been africa many times on business trips. People of sikh background have been there in SA for generations but my experience was they can speak punjabi, have knowledge of sikhi and go gurdwara sometimes. I didnt meet singhs (dastarwaleh.), but they were still sikh. I was in joburg and durban, which has largest concentration of indians and SA largest indian diaspora so i was expecting to meet many more singhs/sikhs.

I also been to lusaka and seen many sardar shop owners i was shocked i didnt even know many sikhs were in zambia.

The thing i found suprissing was amount of gujrati muslims in SA and Zimb. They are faithful muslims and speak perfect gujrati.

Thanks Pyara Paji,

I will give my views to sikh committee at Gurudwara on Sunday and infor them what we could do included all suggestions we recieved above. I believe having many countries to help will solve the problem before it becomes a law or something.

I dont know which minsitry within the county can help. Maybe ministry of home affairs or would UN help?, or they dont do anything with relation to cultures and religion. Because we have a UN office hyere in the town i live in.