Wedding Halls Ban - Ulterior Motive Behind It

clarity

It is a very admirable campaign to ban wedding halls in gurdwaras to ban meat and sharb but I cant help wonder why all of the furore and why now.

Every single gurdwara MUST BAN any form of meat and alcohol being served what I want to ask is

• why isnt the satkaar campaign trying to stop meat and alcohol at ALL SIKH weddings regardless of venue (maybe some of them have an interest in wedding halls)
  • why arent we campaigning about the dangers of alcohol to youth
  • surely if youth see alcohol and meat at weddings when they grown up they are being conditioned that alcohol and meat goes hand in hand with sikhism
  • why hasnt anyone looked at the fact that most of the major venue owners in the UK have congress links in India
  • many hall owners are hindus or castes that despise sikhs
  • there are not many gursikhs that own halls

I KNOW OF AT LEAST 10 FAMILIES THAT ARE REFUSING TO SERVE ALCOHOL AND MEAT AT THEIR CHILDRENS WEDDINGS AND THEY ARE SERVING FOOD FROM THE LANGAR

MANY FAMILIES HAVE STOPPED GOING TO WEDDING VENUES AFTER A WEDDING THESE ARE GURSIKHS

THE FAMILIES THAT DO GO ARE BACKWARDS AND EGO DRIVEN

The Satkaar campaign is concerned (and rightly so) about beadbi issues in our Gurughar's. That must always be the priority, although how we've reached a stage where people need to be told to stop serving alcohol and meat on Gurudwara premises, is beyond me and a sad indictment on our people at this moment in time.

The issue's you've mentioned - whilst valid - are from a wider, societal perspective and whilst I do agree with you, they are much more difficult to enforce. I'm not saying its fine that such nonsense occurs in our community, but aside from prohibition-era style gangs that would roam around interrupting wedding parties and sorting out those who promote "unSikhi" practices, there isn't much we can do apart from educate our children and youth to discard these shameful practices for the future.

Clarity.

Very valid comments. But now get off ur backside and do something about the situation. We r all in it together, so stop making out theres some ulterior motive and do ur bit to cleaning up the mess we r in. Any other concerns then ring up satkaar urself..the numbers on their blogspot.

We simply cannot control the lives of other people thus whatever ppl do outside of gurughar or in their life is their own choice. Yes, as individuals, we can encourage our relatives or family members to avoid going to such places where booze and meat is present. Police'ing around is not a correct way to solve all cases. Maybe it will help but that kinda of change will be temporary. So religious education (prachar) is the only hope for sikhs to make their own decision based on their faith.

What was it that Sant Ji said that on a wedding only three people to attend from each side without dowry to stop Sikhs destroying themselves and the girls family with stupid extravagant gifts.

The day people starting doing that ^^^^ is the day we know things are looking good for us a faith. It will take a monumental sea-change for that to happen, but you never know it could.

The sad fact is that matters will get worse before they get better. You only have to look at the spiralling extravagances that our people partake in during weddings to see that with the next generation, weddings will only get bigger, more expensive and further away from Sikhi.