Desperate State In Panjab

SarabhaPanjab

While the fat gaddars sit their stealing taxes and raiding our gollaks, filling up their swiss accounts, the Honest and the poor are being scammed in every way. left right and center Panjab is being looted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ggVf--JkAI

http://www.sikhfoundation.org/2010/people-events/a-desprate-situation-for-teachers-in-punjab/

again, there is only one foreseeable answer to this..

Khalistan is the only option left for our holy Land.

omgosh! vaheguroo!

I think this was an accident? it looks like she is pouring oil onto a jumper/piece of clothing which the second lady lights up to burn, however she must have spilt oil on the floor and it quickly spread towards her and set her on fire. i may be wrong. but anyways im unsure if sangat should view this video admin perhaps should delete it because there may be young children on this site??

omgosh! vaheguroo!

I think this was an accident? it looks like she is pouring oil onto a jumper/piece of clothing which the second lady lights up to burn, however she must have spilt oil on the floor and it quickly spread towards her and set her on fire. i may be wrong. but anyways im unsure if sangat should view this video admin perhaps should delete it because there may be young children on this site??

This is from the link SarabhaPunjab posted in the OP.

As she looked down at thousands of people below, and at news cameras broadcasting her story through the country, Kiranjit Kaur Attwal, 27, knew she would have to die. She had reached the end of the road.She, along with 369 other teachers under a Punjab Government's Education Guarantee Scheme (EGS), had asked the state to allow them to take their Class 12 examinations again, so they could try and qualify for an Elementary Teachers Training (ETT) course that might land them a government teacher's job. The EGS paid them Rs 1,100 a month. After ETT they might earn Rs 20,000 a month. Their Class 12 marks were below the cut-off required for the ETT. But because they had put in years as EGS teachers, they wanted another shot. The government refused.

So, on February 7, 2010, Kiranjit and three other teachers climbed an 85 feet high water tank tower near Education Minister Upenderjit Kaur's home at Kapurthala. They threatened to immolate themselves if their demands were not met. The government did not respond. DSP Bahadur Singh, who was in charge of the 100-odd policemen around the water tank, abused them and told them to stop their "naatak" (drama).

Then & now

Girls from the AIE Teachers Union on a water tank tower at Bokhra threaten to immolate themselves on June 22 (top most); Kiranjit Kaur Attwal in flames on February 7, at Kapurthala (above)

There was no going back now. The teachers doused themselves with petrol. They tried to light a match, but the wind blew it out. So they lit a shawl they would set themselves afire with. As the shawl burst into flames, the teachers jumped back in horror. But Kiranjit was already ablaze. She was holding the bottle of petrol in her hands, and the flames engulfed her.

The next day, Kiranjit died. But in death, she spawned a trend. An inquiry against Bahadur Singh was ordered. Kiranjit's family was given Rs 10 lakh compensation, and her brother a policeman's job. Most importantly, 369 EGS teachers were allowed to take their Class 12 examinations again to try and enroll in the ETT course and move closer to employment.

READ THE REST BY OPENING THE LINK

then_now.jpg

While the fat gaddars sit their stealing taxes and raiding our gollaks, filling up their swiss accounts, the Honest and the poor are being scammed in every way. left right and center Panjab is being looted.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3ggVf--JkAI

http://www.sikhfound...hers-in-punjab/

http://www.sikhsanga...eath-of-panjab/

again, there is only one foreseeable answer to this..

Khalistan is the only option left for our holy Land.

That is absolutely tragic and horrendous - I would not wish it on my worst enemy.....and looks like it happened by accident.....

but can you explain why you say Khalistan is the only option?

Why do you think Khalistan will do away with poorly developed education policies, rural unemployment and government corruption? The main causes of these tragedies.

Please, do respond.

That is absolutely tragic and horrendous - I would not wish it on my worst enemy.....and looks like it happened by accident.....

but can you explain why you say Khalistan is the only option?

Why do you think Khalistan will do away with poorly developed education policies, rural unemployment and government corruption? The main causes of these tragedies.

Please, do respond.

One of the most traumatic videos I have seen. Extremely upsetting.

I have to agree with the points above. We are able to use the buzz word "Khalistan" but we need to be able to clearly justify what policies and strategies Khalistan must have to address these terrible situations. Till this day, I have not seen any detailed manifestos produced by anyone on Khalistan.

Their Class 12 marks were below the cut-off required for the ETT. But because they had put in years as EGS teachers, they wanted another shot. The government refused.

1. Were only Sikhs refused to retake the exams?

2. If they did not reach the required mark threshold, should they really have threatened to kill themselves?

I guess what I'm asking is was this a situation of deliberate discrimination and bureaucracy against Sikhs, or was it standard government procedure?

1. Were only Sikhs refused to retake the exams?

2. If they did not reach the required mark threshold, should they really have threatened to kill themselves?

I guess what I'm asking is was this a situation of deliberate discrimination and bureaucracy against Sikhs, or was it standard government procedure?

This is not just a Sikh problem. I travel and work in India quite frequently and there is an enormous problem with the quality of teaching in government schools especially in rural areas. People who are not qualified are given teaching jobs in village schools - and it is quite often the case that women who have gone through some schooling are given teaching jobs (they can't farm and there is no other employment available).

The government at both national and state level has been trying to improve the quality of teaching by greatly increasing salaries and setting stricter educational criteria for these jobs.

This has created the problem. The policy objectives are ultimately right, but their impact on some current teachers is clearly bad.

Whilst the incidence shown above is horrendous......I don't think this policy/situation should be challenged by self immolation or suicide. Life is an extremely precious gift.

I think the burning was accidental myself and I think that threating to kill yourself because you never obtained sufficient grades in an exam isn't good. I feel sorry for that women and her family though.