Will It Work??

23 members have voted

1. 1. Will It Work??

• Yes, It could
    • No, Not a good idea
    • Unsure

I heared on another forum that at NANAKSAR gurdwaras Langar is not prepared in the gurdwara.

Families prepare Langar at their houses and bring it to the gurdwara sahib. So a thought

came into my mind that what if majority of the gurdwaras did this, where Sangat would prepare

langar in their own kitchens and bring it to the gurdwara where it would be put together and

served.

What is the Advantage of this?

What i imagined was a Gursikh family , who after having bathed, was making langar in their kitchen.

Whatwould be the best way to spend Sunday morning than to be in the kitchen and every member of the household doing Langar di seva. It could even bring families closer.

Kids with their burnt, thick, thin, wierd shape Parshadas.

I think it could be one way to make children interested in Sikhi from childhood? I remember we used to do it in india and i really enjoyed it.

I beleive little things like that can make a difference because at our gurdwara no one is around to make any Langar and everyone is around to eat it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mehtab

Bhai Sahib

i don't know what to comment on this, but this is what i feel :

i watched the BBC documentary on Sikhs at Sikhnet. Bhai Randhir Singh, former jathedar, said that people had started bringing food from restaurants, and so the maryada started by Guru Sahibaan was being violated ohmy.gif . But like u pointed out that people brought food from their homes, i think thats different from bringing from a restaurant. One thing that should be remembered is that one should recite Japji or WAHEGURU while preparing langar, rather than gossiping/talking about worldly affairs. As long as thats followed, i think what u are saying is perfect :D .

Raz its no different than making all the langar all at once. The only thing happening is that

Making of the langar is divided. So if each family maks 15 parshads and 15 families then u

end up with 255 parshadas and then u do ardas with them.

As for people doing something with langar, it could happen but then if someone is does something

bad with langar then waheguru help them.

I remember this sakhi about a Sikh was taking Karah parshad and fruit to one of the Guru ji's ( don't remember which ).

On the way he met a hungry man who asked him for something to eat. The Sikh man replyed to him that

if he gives him the karah and the fruit then it will become JUTHA. So he will have to wait

until Guru ji has taken some. when the Sikh man reached Guru ji's darbar, Guru ji refused

to accept the Karah and Fruit. Guru ji told him that he should have fed the hungry man first

because waheguru ji is in all of us. So Guru ji told him to go back to the poor man

and ask for forgiveness and Offer him the food.

So my point is that as long as Langar is prepared with Love for waheguru ji and sangat then

all the small mistakes that people will make will not count. If you don't have any shardah/ Devotion

then you can give away pots full of gold and they won't help you at all.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh

Guest SikhForLife

i support it!!

kids wil def get involved in sikhi

although people creating the langar should keep in mind the sikh way of life and respect it

Unless the entire family has taken amirt, and prepare the food with purity, and no jootha, should it be allowed in the Gurdwaras.

Remember Guruji has to take bhog to it first, and since an amritdhari singh/kaur can't eat someone's jooth, how can you give it to your Guru, that's MAJOR MAJOR paap right there man. So to prepare food at home for the Gurdwara, you have to be really careful!!

Unless the entire family has taken amrit, and prepare the food with purity,

and no jootha, should it be allowed in the Gurdwaras.

I don't think thats right. Cos if u follow that logic then Anyone who has not taken Amrit

can't take anything to the gurdwara? Maybe i am misunderstanding the post

If you read that Sakhi i told in the second post then it should make clear that Guru ji's

forgive small mistakes that we make but wat i am saying is that Once families start doing

Seva on regular basis then they will stop making these mistakes.

And about the Bhog, No one is supposed to eat the langar they are going to take with them anyways.

Basically when i was around 8, every Massiya we used to take Missiya ( Onion, Dall wali roti ) to the Gurdwara sahib and other people did the same. So you wud end up with a lot of Parsahadas from everyone and then you wud say ardas and offer it to Guru ji.

I agree with Sikh4Life , We are supposed know how to prepare langar, according to sikh rehat.

Guest SikhForLife
Remember Guruji has to take bhog to it first...

yes i remember having this discussion before with Son of GGS...

bhog can be taken when everyone brings their food to gw

Unless the entire family has taken amirt, and prepare the food with purity, and no jootha, should it be allowed in the Gurdwaras.

i disagree... is the food goin to be better if prepared by an amrit thari.. ? am i gona become less of a sikh if i eat food prepared by non-amrithari?

Guest SikhForLife
Basically when i was around 8, every Massiya we used to take Missiya ( Onion, Dall wali roti ) to the Gurdwara sahib and other people did the same.

thats pure ritualistic i think.. and very unsikh.. dont u agree?