Sikhism And Alcohol

Guest the_unwise_soul

Guest the_unwise_soul

wjkk wjkf,

Well, had this doubt since i was 15. Does sikhi really say No to alcohol...??

My family doesnt hav ny amritdharies, but all of us do our nitnems and follow the sikh rehet maryada. But my dad and my uncles do drink( they arent heavy drinkers, just a peg or two occasionally), does this make them a less ''sikh''??

Sorry to ask this silly ques, but i'd be grateful if nyone cud help...

From a spiritual Sikh(Universal path to god) point of view, alcohol messes with the astral body ie- makes it weaker and darker instead of washing it which is the aim(naam simran) and awakening the true heart.

So alcohol is not for the bhagat.

ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ

Salok mėhlā 3.

Shalok, Third Mehl:

ਮਾਣਸੁ ਭਰਿਆ ਆਣਿਆ ਮਾਣਸੁ ਭਰਿਆ ਆਇ

Māṇas bẖari▫ā āṇi▫ā māṇas bẖari▫ā ā▫e.

One person brings a full bottle, and another fills his cup.

ਜਿਤੁ ਪੀਤੈ ਮਤਿ ਦੂਰਿ ਹੋਇ ਬਰਲੁ ਪਵੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਆਇ

Jiṯ pīṯai maṯ ḏūr ho▫e baral pavai vicẖ ā▫e.

Drinking the wine, his intelligence departs, and madness enters his mind;

ਆਪਣਾ ਪਰਾਇਆ ਪਛਾਣਈ ਖਸਮਹੁ ਧਕੇ ਖਾਇ

Āpṇā parā▫i▫ā na pacẖẖāṇ▫ī kẖasmahu ḏẖake kẖā▫e.

he cannot distinguish between his own and others, and he is struck down by his Lord and Master.

ਜਿਤੁ ਪੀਤੈ ਖਸਮੁ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਦਰਗਹ ਮਿਲੈ ਸਜਾਇ

Jiṯ pīṯai kẖasam visrai ḏargėh milai sajā▫e.

Drinking it, he forgets his Lord and Master, and he is punished in the Court of the Lord.

ਝੂਠਾ ਮਦੁ ਮੂਲਿ ਪੀਚਈ ਜੇ ਕਾ ਪਾਰਿ ਵਸਾਇ

Jẖūṯẖā maḏ mūl na pīcẖ▫ī je kā pār vasā▫e.

Do not drink the false wine at all, if it is in your power.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਦਰੀ ਸਚੁ ਮਦੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਆਇ

Nānak naḏrī sacẖ maḏ pā▫ī▫ai saṯgur milai jis ā▫e.

O Nanak, the True Guru comes and meets the mortal; by His Grace, one obtains the True Wine.

<A class=dict onmouseover="ddrivetip('isaḏā /i Always, ever', 250)" onmouseout=hideddrivetip() href="http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਸਦਾ" ;>ਸਦਾ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਕੈ ਰੰਗਿ ਰਹੈ ਮਹਲੀ ਪਾਵੈ ਥਾਉ ॥੧॥

Saḏā sāhib kai rang rahai mahlī pāvai thā▫o. ||1||

He shall dwell forever in the Love of the Lord Master, and obtain a seat in the Mansion of His Presence. ||1||

Ang 554

And can i get a drum roll please Ang 1377

ਕਬੀਰ ਭਾਂਗ ਮਾਛੁਲੀ ਸੁਰਾ ਪਾਨਿ ਜੋ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਖਾਂਹਿ

Kabīr bẖāʼng mācẖẖulī surā pān jo jo parānī kẖāʼnhi.

Kabeer, those mortals who consume marijuana, fish and wine -

ਤੀਰਥ ਬਰਤ ਨੇਮ ਕੀਏ ਤੇ ਸਭੈ ਰਸਾਤਲਿ ਜਾਂਹਿ ॥੨੩੩॥

Ŧirath baraṯ nem kī▫e ṯe sabẖai rasāṯal jāʼnhi. ||233||

no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals they follow, they will all go to hell. ||233||

Bhagat Balmik ji - The salok of Bhagat Kabir ji is translated slightly incorrect just a minor point, but Bhaang in this shabad doesn't mean Marijuana, it means riniya hoya maas, (mahan Khosh) please look it up it mean cooked meat.

Any way the issue on alcohol.....

Alcohol is a type od intoxication which leads your mind astray, I don't need to quote any bani to prove this.

One will become a a vashi, Kami person, once he a has a few to drink, he courage levels increase thinking he is on top of the world.

I can show you, just go to you local Bar and you can see it for yourself, better still go to a wedding and you will see Sardar's absolutly wrecked out of there brains and then there Dastars are on the floor they thorowing up blah blah etc etc. you get the picture.

Is this how a Gursikh is to behave? Our Math is uchi, if we do ardar everyday then how can our math lower down to this when Math and path da rakha aap akal purkh ji han!

We try to copy the west so much, I tell what the common folk consume is posion cheap bakwas whiskeys etc, I was fortunate to meet the Royal familes of UK ,Spain and Holland for some businees deals for the company I work for and I tell you something, when they have a drink they have one and that lasts them for 2 hours, our sardar ji's have finished a case in that time. The cost of each caste they drink from is more than 10,000 pounds. I was offered some after dinner and I refused, they repeatedly said they is the finest whiskey in the world, and gave me the facts about it, I still refused.

My point is we don't know how to drink and we loose our path whilst trying to do so and when we loose our kidney's and outr liver gives up, we cry then start doing akand paath etc.

No point then is?

all through school and colledge your hear the same rubbish, oh billa can drink a bottle on his own.......SO WHAT IF HE CAN! what a fool if he is doing that at that age, oh Jagga can drink anyone under the table.......AND YOUR POINT IS! This idea of it's cool to drink is the very cause, and that is embedded into out youths heads because there fathers are doing it, and then there kids do it, or some bechara get involved in the wrong crowd.

In Gernal term not just for sikh but all indian, YOU DON'T know how to drinkand never will know so stop now, even your bodies end up giving up on you.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bad translator

Well said some of these shabads are out of context as the false wine is the maya in general . But maya is definitely alcohol anyway. And we are told that is bad as it takes us from the god . Bullan dee marfi