Please Don'T Talk Over Me!

Does anybody else feel offended when people go into the Darbar (main hall where Guru Ji is in Parkaash in the Gurdwara) and start having a conversation, proper, whilst Paath is being recited, or Kirtan, or Katha Veechar is in progess!!!

You know, when you see those people who just natter and chat loudly and endlessly whilst paath or Katha, or Kirtan is being sung (usually after the Pogh around about 10/11am on a Sunday) but it happens at other times too !!.

I mean, if anyone talks over us, we think it's bad enough, but somebody talking over Guru Ji, hurts the heart doesn't it!

The Gurus told us understand, that, the power and importance ratio between, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, and the Sangat, is 20:1 i.e, 20/21st respect to SGGSJ, and 1/21st respect to the Sangat (However, that 1/21st fraction should not be underestimated, it''s an amazing compliment to the Sangat).

When you look at this 20:1 ratio, and see the Sangat talking over Guru Ji, I start to wonder, how strong can the sangat be if it talks over Guru Ji? Does it deserve the 1 of the 20:1 ratio??

Why do people find it hard to show respect, and be silient when Guru Ji is in Parkaash! Can't they go outside the Darbar? Can't we make special roomsfor these people to chat in???

I mean, if somebody was having langar, but because you had finished, and were full, you started snatching the langar away from that person, than nobody would forgive you, correct?

The shabad is also langar in a gurdwara, in that is shared too! So, if some people have had enough langar(shabad), why do they have the right to snatch the langar(shabad) away from the other sangat, who are not full yet, and need more Langar(shabad). Because by talking you are snatching somebody's Langar(shabad), because, as you talk, they can't here the Katha, or they get distracted, by the talking, and therefore are not able to fill their minds with the Langar(shabad).

It must be one of the worst things to snatch away from a person, their golden opportunity to listen to Paath, Kirtan, and Katha Veechar!!

I hate it. In my experience it's usually women too. (Sorry sisters but it's true)

That's exactly my experience too, but I didn't have the courage to say that, because I didn't want to lose any popularity on the site! How selfish of me!!

What's worse, is, the women are always talking in Punjabi too, and I've always thought Punjabi speaking people had more respect for Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, than English speaking people!!!

I find it frustrating and disrespectful too. Most people go to the Gurdwara but they don't see Guru Ji, they see a book and hence prioritise themselves over it. If Guru Ji were sitting in human form, you know everyone would be silent and obedient. Similar reason why people follow other humans (eg Sants, Mahapurkhs) - because it's easier to focus, see and listen to than to Guru Ji.

It's not just women, but children are free to run around, cry and shout and scream.

I’ve noticed this on many occasions as well, the elder bibya (sorry) just gossiping amongst each other. Before, during and after kirtan/katha! Don’t they get tired!:umm: :6

And whenever there is kirtan on the floor, little kids will always run up right in front of the kirtani!!! I find this really disrespectful! Where are the parents!

Also, what the heck is going on with kids bringing Nintendo DS' / Sony PSPs to the Gurudwara? When did this nonsense become acceptable? :rolleyes:

But about the PSP’s and Nintendo DS, maybe they get bored in the gurudwara? Why? Maybe because there is not enough parchar in English, which the kids can engage in. And there excuse can be “i don’t understand what the gyani is saying!”

What can we do about this?

But about the PSP’s and Nintendo DS, maybe they get bored in the gurudwara? Why? Maybe because there is not enough parchar in English, which the kids can engage in. And there excuse can be “i don’t understand what the gyani is saying!”

What can we do about this?

I totally understand you my brother but there is always other side of the coin.

During our Guru Sahibs time: English, hindi, urdu and other languages were there but our guru sahib jee specifically gave gurmukhi upper hand. Our Guru Sahib jee created Gurmukhi language for a reason. To understand gurmukhi, learning punjabi is important. Young kid's parent should make effort to teach them how to speak/write/speak punjabi. Pracharak should know english language but still lack of english pracharak is no excuse for kids or parents for not taking interest in sikhi. Mostly all gurdwaras got STTM projection system. In future, some may say that pracharak should know how to give sikhi lessons in rap style. Kids are innocent. It is all parents fault who do not take enough steps to instill sikhi culture and religion in their kid's life during early years.

During our Guru Sahibs time: English, hindi, urdu and other languages were there

Fella, Urdu wasn't even there during Charlie Chaplin's time. Its such a new language its still got the wrapper on. And Punjabi is a full 900 years older than Hindi so it (hindi) ain't worth that much historically either.

I will say this though : Whether we like it or not....the Gurdwara is the place that the whole Sikh community can get together on a sunday (when most people get a chance to come). There.....after a a week of hard work....they finally get a chance to see each other, talk to each other and find out whats going on. Others, are there for various other reasons such as kids gurbani classes etc. So...basically....although its very easy for young students and office professionals who sit on comfy chairs and telephones all week to lecture about what to do on Sunday mornings at the Gurdwara....the vast majority of the sangat there have been grafting hard all week.....manual graft. Cut them some slack.

But about the PSP's and Nintendo DS, maybe they get bored in the gurudwara? Why? Maybe because there is not enough parchar in English, which the kids can engage in. And there excuse can be "i don't understand what the gyani is saying!"

Most people attend Guru ghar for 1.5 or 2 hours at the most. It's a time for contemplation, for peace, and an opportunity to do those things you simply cannot do in your life outside of the Guru ghar.

Leave the gaming handhelds for the other hundreds of hours that you're not visiting the Gurudwara. Can't understand what Giani Ji is saying? Why not try to listen to him for a start. Try to equate his words with any Panjabi words used at home. If he's still not making sense, rather than give up and think "I'm gonna play me some Mario because Giani is doing my head in", just concentrate on the words and let them wash over you. Surely those words will have an affect on your soul whether you - initially - don't fully grasp the concepts?

It's like when a young kid does paath. He or she doesn't really understand the meaning of every single Gurmukhi word, but the kid still does paath in the hope that Waheguru will accept the paath being done in good faith. Later on, the child will obviously have to learn the meanings of the words being spoken, but before this time surely God still accepted the paath even though the child wasn't aware what he or she was saying?

This excuse that 'giani ji is speaking and I don't understand' was used in my day (which wasn't so long ago) and I still learnt to comprehend what was being spoken on the Guru ghar's stage. It all depends whether you really want to learn, or you're just going to the Gurudwara because mom and dad dragged you there.

If our kids aren't taught that Guru ghar is sacred and unlike every other place we frequent in our life, they won't have respect for it.

i was at the bhog of an akandpath last sunday, everybody around where i was sitting was talking, so loudly at one point i felt like telling them to be quiet (but i didnt). i looked around and could see one small sign right at the front saying "please be quiet". unfortunately people dont realise that when guruji is talking(being recited) then we should all be quiet and listen. i think it doesnt help when the gyanis are pulling out their mobiles in darbar sahib and using them ive seen that before too